7th Grade Advance Math
FYI - VHS orientation and scheduling for 8th graders!
8th Grade Curriculum
- Rule 1 - When multiplying exponential form with the same base, add the exponents.
- Rule 2 - When multiplying with different bases but the same exponent, multiply the bases keeping the same exponent.
- Rule 3 - When raising a power to a power, keep same base and multiply the exponents.
- Rule 4 - When dividing exponential form with same base, subtract the exponents.
7th Grade Curriculum
- Expanding scientific notation to standard form
- Re-writing very large or very small numbers using scientific notation
- Knowing that exponential form consists of a base number and an exponent
- Knowing the expanded form consists of a string of factors (a x a x a x a x a)
- Distinguish between linear tables (repeated addition) and exponential tables (repeated multiplication)
- Identifying growth factors when given an exponential table
- Distinguish between linear graphs (straight line) and exponential graphs (exponential curve)
- Write exponential equations as y = a (b^x)
M-Step testing will begin when we return from Spring Break!
This means that there will still be two units of instruction after the M-step has taken place. The math teachers put a lot of thought into organizing our curriculum so that we are hitting the most important standards before the M-Step Test occurs while maintaining an appropriate flow and progression of skills. I am including some video links below to address standards that show up after the M-Step. This way students will have some exposure to the concepts we'll be covering more in depth as we conclude the school year. Please share the following video links with your child.