CALVIN PARK WEEKLY UPDATE
February 10-14, 2020
8L1 & 8L2 Stories of Immigrants - Harriet Tubman
8L1 & 8L2 Stories of Immigrants - Nellie McClurg
8L1 & 8L2 Stories of Immigrants - British War Children
Elementary and intermediate (Grade 7/8 English and French Immersion) schools will be closed Tuesday, February 11, 2020 and Wednesday, February 12, 2020 due to ongoing strikes by members of the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO). Kindergarten to Grade 8 students should not report to school these two days.
As a result of a planned one-day rotating strike by members of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF), all secondary schools in the Limestone District School Board will be closed to students in Grades 9 to 12 on Thursday, February 13, 2020. Secondary students should not report to school on this day. Calvin Park PS will be open on Thursday, February 13.
Grade 8-9 Transition Information
SPECIAL NOTE for Students Attending LCVI in September 2020: LCVI classroom visits were last week and the LCVI Student Services team will be visiting Grade 8 classrooms on Friday, February 14th to assist students with registering course selection on "My Blueprint."
If you have any questions, please contact Student Services at the secondary school that your child will be attending or contact the Calvin Park office.
THIS WEEK at CALVIN PARK February 10-14, 2020
Monday, February 10 - Day 5
- 8:30 LaSalle SS Grade 8 Visit
- 9:30 Sydenham HS Grade 8 Visit
Tuesday, February 11 - Day 1
- SCHOOL CLOSED Province-wide ETFO Strike
Wednesday, February 12 - Day 2
- SCHOOL CLOSED Rotating ETFO Strike for LDSB Elementary Schools
Thursday, February 13 - Day 3
Friday, February 14 - Day 4
- Wear red/white/pink for Valentine's Day
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER:
February 17 Family Day Holiday
February 19 12:15 - Queen's University Enrichment Studies Unit Presentation
February 24 6:00 pm - School Council Meeting in Calvin Park Staff Room. All are welcome.
February 26 Pink Shirt Day
March 16-20 March Break
How to Report a Student's Absence Using SafeArrival
There are 3 ways to report a student's absence. These options are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please do not call the school directly to report an absence.If your student is marked absent and the absence hasn’t been reported in advance, our new SafeArrival system will attempt to reach the student’s priority contact by telephone to confirm the absence. If our system is unable to reach the designated contacts, school office staff will follow up. If your child will be late, please report them as absent using one of the options below and then, when they arrive at school, they need to check in at the office and their attendance will be changed to LATE.
1. School Messenger App
a) Use your mobile device to download and install the free SchoolMessenger blue app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store, the SchoolMessenger website portal, or from within the LDSB mobile app.
b)The first time you use the app, you must select Sign Up to create your account. Please ensure you use the same email address your student’s school has on file. If you do not use that same email address, you will not be able to create an account, or may not be able to see the "Attendance" option. You may have already created an account when we introduced the Communicate broadcast system.
c)Select Attendance, then Report an Absence.
2. School Messenger SafeArrival Website Portal
1. Visit the SchoolMessenger website portal.
2. The first time you use the app, you must select Sign Up to create your account. Please ensure you use the same email address your student’s school has on file. If you do not use that same email address, you will not be able to create an account, or may not be able to see the "Attendance" option. You may have already created an account when we introduced the Communicate broadcast system.
3. Select Attendance then Report an Absence.
2. School Messenger Toll-Free Telephone
1. Call 1-855-257-9349 toll-free to report an absence using the automated phone system.
2. Follow the prompts.