Genia Johnson Dance Company, Inc
PEACE OUT SUMMER!!
Can you believe it's already that time of year again..?! Summer seemed to have flown by way faster than normal, and here we are... already into September!! Pumpkin Crumbl Cookie anyone!? I hope everyone had an easy transition into their new classrooms, bus schedules and routines so far!
The teachers and staff here at GJDC, Inc are wayyyyy excited to get started and dance with all of you next week. We cannot wait to hug on all of our returning students and welcome all of our new ones!! This year is going to be FABULOUS!!
The first week of dance classes are always a bit hectic. Everyone's seeing each other for the first time since May (unless you danced through Summer!) everyone's excited... everyone's trying to figure out what class to go into... parents come in to make sure everyone's happy and to hug on the teachers... there are people EVERYWHERE.... agggghhhh...
Here are a few reminders to keep this coming week running as smoothly as possible.
*Please do not wait until right before a certain class to come in and register your child. Many classes are already full and we don't want anyone disappointed. If you still need to register for a class, please go to GeniaJohnsonDanceCo.com and register online.
If you would like to add a class or need online account help with the front office, it would be very helpful to wait until after the class hour starts (and the front & lobby die down) to speak with someone in the front office. That way, all new parents can ask for help and information and not have to wait for people to fill out paperwork at the window. You can also email us at DancinGJDC@aol.com and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible.
DROP OFF & PICK UP:
*Weekly schedules and a list of specific designated room schedules will be posted at each door to help navigate where to go. We will also have Jr Staff available outside the first few weeks until everyone is comfortable with drop off time.
* If you have a class in the front of the building (Room A or C), you will enter and exit through the classroom exterior doors. If you have a class in the back of the building (Room B) you may enter through the front lobby door and walk through the "dancer hall" to the classroom. Using the exterior doors cuts down on the congestion in the halls in between classes and lets each teacher keep a better eye on the classes/dancers at drop off and pick up.
*After drop off, parents/guardians can wait outside on the benches, in their cars, get coffee or go run errands... as long as you're back at the end of their class time. Please be prompt when picking up the kids at their studio classroom door. They will not be allowed outside until a parent/guardian is present. Also, please do not drop off kids more than 15 minutes before their class times. If you have a special situation, just alert the front office.
*We currently do NOT offer a waiting area. Our studio has grown rapidly in the last few years and space inside is limited with 3 classrooms running at most times and hallways need to remain clear for obvious safety reasons. Our front lobby is open if you need to speak with someone in the front office about registration and accounts, use the restroom, do a quick peak of the littles in the viewing windows or check out our cool GJDC merch. We ask that you do not block hallways by sitting in the floor. The dancer hall is used by dancers who are waiting for pickup, changing shoes between multiple classes, etc. and to run littles to the restroom during classes. Please leave this area open for them.
* Please arrive at the studio about 10 mins. before your scheduled class time. This way you can get your dance shoes on, go to the bathroom, say hi to (or meet new) friends, and get ready to start your class on time, and not miss any of the most important part of the class - the welcome, stretch and conditioning!
* This may sound silly... but have your child(ren) go to the bathroom before you leave the house. There are usually 3 dance rooms going at the same time. When they let out, new kids arrive..... that's a LONNGGGGG line if everyone has to go to the bathroom at the same time. We also want them to get as much out of their class as possible! We do have Jr Staff to assist with any young ones that need help in the restroom.
* Bring water for your dancer in a non-spillable container!! SODAS/Tea/Starbucks are NOT ALLOWED in the dance rooms. Cold water bottles are also available for purchase for $1 with Miss Molly at the front office.
* Write your students' names on ALL dance shoes. We have a Lost & Found that usually stays full all year...... with shoes that have no names....these items will be donated every few months.
* All Combo I and Combo II students will take ballet and tap shoes (preferably in a dance bag) in their classrooms with them. They will not come out of the room to change shoes and will have help if needed. During this time, if they have expressed a need for the bathroom, they will be able to go then.
* Try to have correct attire and shoes for all classes. Dress code is available online on our website if you did not see it when registering. We understand that it is the first week and some shoes, leotards, etc are on order. Students will get the most out of their lessons when dressed appropriately and have the correct shoes. Hair needs to be pulled out of their face and NO jewelry.
*All Ballet classes above Combo levels will need their hair in a bun.
* We are so lucky to have viewing mirrors in 2 of our dance rooms (and windows for the 3rd). During the first week or two of classes, however, the curtains may remain closed during our classes (especially for the littles) until everyone is comfortable with their new surroundings. Remember, they are new to us, we are new to them... for some they have never been in the building before. There are new people, new sights and A LOT of sounds... lets all give Grace during this time. We are used to taking little hands, we are used to tears and we are used to loving on them until they love on us. We will give ample time either in the beginning, or the end of their first little class for parents to take pictures to remember the moment.
On most other normal days, curtains will be opened at the end of class (sometimes a whole class) so parents can check in on their little ones. Please remember that on our side, if parents are right up on the glass, talking loudly, moving around, taking pictures, etc., it can feel much like the inside of a fishbowl.... and can be very distracting, and in some cases, uncomfortable for a child that is trying to learn something new. Please keep this in mind while trying to view a class.
** The first 2-3 weeks are an evaluation/placement period. In some cases, students will need to be moved to another class level due to technical ability. We want every child to be happy in the classes yet challenged and physically able to participate without harm to their bodies. Teachers will alert the front office after each class if a student is not yet ready for the level or if they are fully prepared to be bumped to the next. Regardless, give your child a hug, a high five and tell them to do their best in each class so the teachers can see what their bodies can do!!
We will be sending out a Fall Newsletter soon. It will include all things GJDC !! Upcoming events, dance and performance opportunities, community events, merchandise and more!
Thank you for being a part of the GJDC Community!!
GJDC had a busy SUMMER !
Showstopper National Dance Competition
Our GJDC Company team competed at the National Finals this 4th of July in Myrtle Beach, SC.
GJDC & Tri City Chili Peppers - Community Partner
Some of our GJDC Sideline dancers standing with the ChikFilA cow during one of the TCCP baseball games this summer!
GJDC Summer Day Camp
A few of our campers and Jr Staff assisting with craft time!
Showstopper National Dance Competition
GJDC & Tri City Chili Peppers - Community Partner
Account Portal & Attire
If you are still needing to get your child's attire and shoes for next week you can visit our website at http://GeniaJohnsonDanceCo.com , go to the CLASSES tab, and then the Dress Code button off to the right. There, you can scroll through for your child's specific class or genre. If you still have questions after, please do not hesitate to reach out. Here are a few spots to grab your dancewear and shoe necessities for class:
8524 Patterson Ave
Richmond, VA 23229
Discount Dance Online
GJDC Dance Friends are the BEST Friends !!
Calendar of Events
2023/24 Fall Season Begins - September 11th, 2023.
Happy Halloween - Studio CLOSED - Tuesday, October 31st.
Thanksgiving Break - Studio CLOSED - November 20-25th.
Colonial Heights Annual Christmas Parade Tuesday, December 5th/7pm
No regular classes. GJDC will be in the parade. Sign-ups will begin in mid-October.
Winter Break - Studio CLOSED - Thursday, December 21, 2023-January 3, 2024
Classes resume Thursday, January 4th, 2024.
Spring Break - April 1-6th, 2024. Studio CLOSED.
GJDC Picture Week - April TBA. No regular classes/pictures only.
Spring Performance 2024 - Tentative May 9-11th.
Mother's Day Weekend.
*The studio will be open for all other holidays/special days during this time in 2023/24 unless otherwise noted.
*In the event of inclement weather, GJDC follows Colonial Heights City AND Chesterfield County school closings. We will post on all of our social media (FB, IG) and send out a studio email by 11am of our status. We will also update on NBC12 online, Channel 8 and CBS6 when available. HOWEVER, in certain cases of one closing and not the other, we will best address the current situation and make a decision which best suits the safety of all involved.
*If schools cancel after school activities due to inclement weather and GJDC is already open, we may choose to remain open or close at an earlier time depending on the current situation. Parents must use their best judgement if classes continue and you need to venture out, depending on your location.
*Makeup classes are not available in the event of missed classes due to inclement weather.
Let's stay connected !!
Monday - Thursday/ 4-9pm
Friday / 4-8pm
Email us at DancinGJDC@aol.com
3635 Boulevard, Suite E
Colonial Heights, VA 23834