Run Boy Run
Author: Uri Orlev. Article By: Brandon Lucas
Age Limit/Why You Would, Wouldnt Read This Book
Readers would read this book because its a incredible story of survival, triumph, and courage the main character "Surlik" had to go through. On the other hand i can see where readers wouldn't read this because it could cause them to shed a tear or make them feel sick by the way the Jews were treated, and the living conditions they were given.
3 Things Ive Learned About The Holocaust
- Jews would actually steal from local businesses to survive. In the story Surlik and a group of young kids go out at night to steal food and other goodies they can find in order to survive the night
- Jews would try and escape to other countries. Surlik escapes the ghettos and heads to the outskirts of Poland to hide from the Nazis
- Nazis could kill anyone on site. Nazis would walk around, patrolling the ghetto and if someone wasn't following directions or doing something right, they could shoot and kill any Jew they wanted
- "I want some more" This quote explains the hunger he went through. Him and his mother were digging through trash just to look for a meal to eat, so when Moishele gave him a slice of sausage it wasn't enough to satisfy him, so in order for the boys to get what they want. They had to give Surlik what he wants.
- "If i bring you alive or dead to the Gestapo, then ill receive a commendation for being a good soldier" This quote is a example of the Germans control over the Jewish population, dead or alive the Nazis were rewarded when they found escaped Jews, killing them was an option but wasn't a penalty.
- "I was told that he wouldn't operate because you were a Jew" This quote represent the stereotyping of German doctors by not providing services to Jews.
I liked the book because it was very well explained on how Jews were treated and what they needed to do to survive. Another reason is that it was a third person story. The author wrote the story as if he was watching this madness going on and could see the expressions. My final reason is how realistic it felt. As i was reading it, i constantly felt like i was there witnessing the whole experience. I was upset at the book because i wanted more events added to the book so the story could be longer. Their should also be a background story on how Surlik and his family ended up in the ghettos. I also hoped that they would of made a movie because i bet it would of been a good one. Overall this was a good book and i really enjoyed it.