DEARBORN STEM ACADEMY
PRINCIPAL NEWS AND NOTES, Vol. 1, No. 8
Week of October 22, 2018
Looking forward to another exciting week!
- Thank you to Family Coordinator Pam Bailey for organizing our Open House the other night. Parents, guardians and some students were on hand to meet staff and learn more about the school. There are more opportunities for parents/guardians to get involved. The calendar of events is further down in the newsletter.
- The Dearborn STEM Academy is rich with opportunities; we also have our challenges. We are committed to providing support to all of our students and staff. We are also committed to ensuring that no child's education is disrupted by another student. In a safe and supportive school environment every student and staff has the right to a safe and secure school setting; this means that everyone feels emotionally and physically safe at the Dearborn, everyday. We are committed to making this happen. If you ever have any questions or concerns please contact the school.
- Governor Baker visits the Dearborn STEM Academy on Monday, October 22, 2018 to kick off STEM Week in Massachusetts.
- On Thursday the 18th many of our grade 11-12 students, some grade 10 students, and several staff had the opportunity to attend the world renowned "Hamilton." What a great opportunity for our students! If that wasn't big enough Kenny Jn Lyes, Grade 10, wrote a great poem and performed it in front of more than 1500 attendees.
7th graders take an overnight trip to Thompson Island.
The 7th graders had a engaging, memorable experience at Thompson Island. The Outward Bound program, a science-based community building program, pushed students to think critically, reach outside their comfort zone, and explore nature and science. Even without the luxury of running water, students made the best of it and came up with a new chant, “when I say ‘no’, you say ‘water!’” They left with a memorable experience. Thank you staff members Jefferson, Freeman, Harrington and Bakish for ensuring a great trip for our students.
Kliptown Youth Program visits the Dearborn STEM Academy.
Hats off to Dr. Makeeba McCreary, Managing Director & Sr. Advisor of External Affairs for the Boston Public Schools for helping to arrange the visit. Thaddues Miles, local Boston hero, coordinated all of the logistics and organized the program for the day.
UNIFORM PROBLEMS AT THE DEARBORN
WE ARE STRUGGLING! WE NEED YOUR HELP!!
PLEASE SUPPORT US BY HAVING YOUR STUDENT WEAR A DSA t-shirt, polo shirt or sweatshirt EVERYDAY. It must say DSA. Please!!!
PLEASE ALSO HELP US; WE DON'T ALLOW "DU RAGS" OR HOODS. PLEASE HELP US!
From family Coordinator Pam Bailey
OCTOBER/ NOVEMBER 2018
FAMILY ENGAGEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Thursday, October 18th ** 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. **
JOIN the Dearborn STEM Academy FAMILY FACEBOOK Page to keep track of all the Family Engagement events, meetings and activities for the school year.
Thursday, November 1st ** 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. **
Parent to Parent Connections ~ Come Meet our Elected Parents
Principals sharing information on:
1. Promotion Policy 2. Attendance Policy 3. Summer School Opportunities
PRINCIPAL/PARENT COFFEE HOUR
Friday, November 2nd ** 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. **
Please RSVP, Ms. Bailey 617-275-0720 or @ firstname.lastname@example.org
OUTUBRO / NOVEMBRO DE 2018
OPORTUNIDADES DE ENVOLVIMENTO FAMILIAR
Quinta-feira, 18 de outubro ** 17h30 às 19h30 **
JUNTE-SE À Página da FAMILY FACEBOOK da Dearborn STEM Academy para acompanhar todos os eventos, reuniões e atividades do Envolvimento Familiar no ano letivo.
REUNIÃO DE PAIS E FAMÍLIA
Quinta-feira, 1 de novembro ** 17h30 às 18h30 **
Parent to Parent Connections ~ Venha conhecer nossos pais eleitos
Diretores que compartilham informações sobre:
1. Política de Promoção 2. Política de Presenças 3. Oportunidades Escolares de Verão
CAFÉ PRINCIPAL / PAI HORA
Sexta-feira, 2 de novembro, das 7h30 às 8h30
Por favor, RSVP, Ms. Bailey 617-275-0720 ou @ email@example.com
OCTUBRE / NOVIEMBRE 2018
OPORTUNIDADES DE PARTICIPACIÓN FAMILIAR
Jueves, 18 de octubre ** 5:30 p.m. a las 7:30 p.m. **
ÚNETE a la página de FAMILY FACEBOOK de Dearborn STEM Academy para realizar un seguimiento de todos los eventos, reuniones y actividades de Family Engagement para el año escolar.
REUNIÓN DE PADRES / FAMILIA
Jueves, 1 de noviembre ** 5:30 p.m. a las 6:30 p.m. **
Conexiones de padres a padres ~ Venga a conocer a nuestros padres elegidos
Directores compartiendo información sobre:
1. Política de promoción 2. Política de asistencia 3. Oportunidades de la escuela
PRINCIPAL / PADRE HORA DE CAFÉ
Viernes, 2 de noviembre ** 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. **
Por favor confirme su asistencia, Sra. Bailey 617-275-0720 o @ firstname.lastname@example.org
We will communicate by newsletter with you each week. It will be distributed at the beginning of each school week. The purpose of the newsletter is to inform Dearborn STEM Academy students, staff, and families as well as the greater Dearborn community.
If you would like to add something please submit the contents to the appropriate principal; High School Principal Dana F. Brown, email@example.com or Middle School Principal Shelley Olsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Stories, pictures, calendar reminders, club, activity, and classroom notes are all welcome.