By Isabella Reynolds
What does being Gluten Intolerant mean?
Someone who experiences being Gluten Intolerant has to have a diet that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley, and rye.
A gluten-free diet is used to treat people with celiac disease as gluten causes inflammation in the small intestines of people with celiac disease. By eating a gluten-free diet, it helps people with celiac disease control their signs and symptoms and prevent complications.
Did You Know?
So out of your friends, there will at least be one person intolerant to gluten.
A Gluten Free Recipe for You to Try
Luscious Little Lemon Puddings with Raspberry Coulis
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cups of Caster Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon Zest, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) pouring cream
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Prepare a water bath.
- Whisk eggs and sugar till thick, then stir in the juice and zest and gently whisk in the cream. Pour 4 x 125mL ramekins and bake in the water bath for 20-25 minutes or until just set. Remove the puddings and cool, then cover and refrigerate till needed.
- Serve puddings at room temperature, dusted with pure icing sugar.
Raspberry Coulis Recipe
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a saucepan over moderate heat, begin crushing berries with a wooden spoon. Add sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries break down and mixture begins to thicken. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Using a flexible spatula or the back of a wooden spoon, press berry mixture through a fine-mesh strainer. Discard seeds. Add 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice and stir through. Coulis can be used warm or chilled.