Safety Tips for Adults
Basic Safety Skills for Adults
It's Important to Stay Safe
- When checking an unconscious adult, check for responsiveness, call 911, open the airway and check for breathing, and scan for severe bleeding before attempting to give care.
- If an adult is choking, repeat sets of 5 back blows and 5 abdominal thrusts until the object is forced out or the person can speak and call 911 if the person becomes unconscious.
- If the person is not breathing, perform CPR. Repeat cycles of 30 chest compressions and 2 rescue breaths until the person shows signs of life or an AED is available.
- To treat external bleeding, cover the wound with a dressing, apply direct pressure until the bleeding stops, and cover the wound with a bandage. If it does not stop, continue adding dressings and bandages or call 911.
- To treat a burn, remove the skin from source of burn, cool with cold running water, cover loosely with sterile dressing, call 911, and care for shock.