William D. Cuts Newsletter
MESSAGE FROM ADMIN.
As we get into March, short season still seems a ways off with the current state of the weather. Hopefully it’s right around the corner and we get a lovely spring break. The first day off for students is March 24 and classes resume April 3. The week we are back has an early dismissal Wednesday, and then we are off for Easter.
March also has us looking forward to next year. Registration for new and returning students is now open. Links to register are on the school website and district websites. We also have the school open house on March 9, with registration for the Rec Academy and Pursuit Program opening March 10 at 9:00 AM - available on the W.D. Cuts website.
Option selection for next year also opens on March 10 at 9:00 AM, and is done through PowerSchool Parent Portal. If you do not yet have an account set up you will need to contact the office to do so. When you are logged into the PowerSchool Parent Portal, click on the “Class Registration” tab on the left hand side of the screen. This should bring you to the option selection screen. Students who are not in the Recreation or Hockey Academies will need to choose a total of 8 primary options and 2 back ups. There will be 4 option classes each semester next year. The program uses “credits” to describe the course weightings. Each class is 0.5 credits and an overall total of 4.0 credits must be selected in order to be able submit. Once everything is entered correctly there will be green check marks beside each of the sections.
For those students who are registered in the Recreation or Hockey Academies, these must be chosen as one of your primary options. Rec and hockey will each count as 3 credits so only 2 more primary options need to be selected, as well as 2 back ups. A detailed description of the option courses is available on the school website. If there are any questions regarding any of the processes for next year do not hesitate to reach out.
Cory and Matt
UPCOMING DATES TO REMEMBER
Thursday, March 9 - Open House 6:30pm
Friday, March 10 - Marmot Ski Trip
Monday, March 20 - Grade 7s Pizza Day
Tusday, March 21 - Grade 8s Pizza Day
Thursday, March 23 - Grade 9s Pizza Day
Friday, March 24 - No School - day in lieu parent teacher interviews
Monday, March 27 thru Friday, March 31 - Spring Break
Wednesday, April 5 - Early Dismissal 12:00pm - staff meeting
Friday, April 7 - Good Friday - no school
Monday, April 10 - Easter Monday - no school
Tuesday, April 11 - PD Day - no school
2023 - 2024 School Registration
Returning St. Albert Public School students can find the registration form in their PowerSchool Portal
New students to St. Albert Public Schools please fill out the New Student Registration From
Wildrose Improv Festival
Hockey Hooky for Ben
Sr. Boys Basketball
Jr. Girls Basketball
Sr. Girls Basketball
WE WOULD APPRECIATE PAYMENT IN FULL FOR FEES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Payments can be made through the PowerSchool Parent Portal using a Credit Card or a Visa Debit Card. (Please note that all debit/credit transactions are subject to a 2.4% service charge.) If an online payment is not an option, you may send cash or cheque to the school office with your student (payable to: St. Albert Public Schools 5565).
If you have any questions/concerns regarding your school fees, please contact Jolene Metcalfe at 780-458-8585 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For access to the PowerSchool Parent Portal click here: https://spschools.powerschool.com/public/home.html
If you are having trouble accessing the PowerSchool Parent Portal, please contact: email@example.com
Healthy Hunger Dates
March 15 - Edo
March 22 - Nitza's Pizza
April 12 - Pasta Pantry
April 19 - Subway
April 26 - Shumka Ukrainion Food
May 10 - Mr. Sub
May 17 - Pasta Pantry
May 24 - Edo
June 14 - Nitza's Pizza
June 21 - Subway
WDCUTS PARENT COUNCEL IS RUNNING HEALTHY HUNGER
TO PARTICIPATE IN FUN LUNCH, we ask that you agree to these points below prior to ordering for your child. HealthHunger
1. When you know your child will be away, and have adequate notice, we ask that parents cancel their fun lunch through the Healthy Hunger website directly. This includes instances such as planned out of school field trips, medical or dental appointments, or families choosing to keep their child home for other circumstances. If you know your child is going to be away, please cancel your fun lunch order. Healthy Hunger has a 5 day cut off window where you can cancel your order without issue and receive reimbursement in your original form of payment. For, the cut off is the previous Friday evening.
** As hot lunch starts on Wednesday October 26th the last day to order for that lunch will be Friday Oct 21st
2. We also know there are many instances where students may be unable to attend school unexpectedly and with very little notice. Should your child be away due to illness or any other unexpected circumstance, parents will need to notify our hot lunch coordinator by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone the school to make alternate arrangements. This MUST happen before 11 AM on the day of hot lunch. Any other requests, sent in other ways (e.g. to your child’s teacher) or after the deadline, cannot be considered so please plan accordingly.
Please provide specific instructions about what should be done with your child's lunch.
• If you wish to pick up at the school, you may do so only after 12:30 PM on the hot lunch day. Items must be picked up the same day for food safety reasons.
• If you would like the lunch to be sent with another student, please clearly indicate the name of that student and their class number (or teacher).
• We are unable to hold lunches overnight or provide any other arrangements.
**If you do not provide instructions for your child(ren)'s fun lunch prior to 11 AM as outlined above, the volunteers will use their discretion to determine next steps. This may include donating the lunch or discarding it.
of volunteers. We ask that you treat our volunteers with kindness and respect at all times. We could not do this without them!
Thank you for your ongoing support of our fun lunch program. It provides valuable fundraising dollars to our school.
-The WD CUTS FUN Lunch Team email@example.com
A REMINDER ABOUT SOCIAL MEDIA USE
As we near the mid-way mark of the semester, we want to remind parents about the responsibilities students have when using social media platforms, especially those that are video-based:
Obtain appropriate consent from individuals - peers AND teachers - who appear in video, audio recording and images before forwarding them to other people or posting them to online spaces.
Before recording, be transparent about the purpose of the video, audio recording or images. Recording things with underlying motives and posting them out of context is not appropriate.
Respect others and communicate in a supportive way. Never participate in harmful, inappropriate or hurtful online behaviours.
We encourage you to have conversations with your children about social media regularly. Supporting them as they transition through adolescence and into adulthood will only help them become the best version of themselves.
For more information about our division policy about Acceptable Use of Technology, please visit the division website.