Please click on the above link to see highlights from this past week. We are working to create a positive learning environment that is equitable, inclusive and focused on the whole child. No need to have a twitter account to view!
Brooks News to Know
8th Grade Graduation Photos & Graduation Date
The 8th grade graduation date will NOT be altered due to our recent snow day. The graduation date remains on Thursday, May 31st at 7pm at Oak Park River Forest High School.
Coffee with Capuder - Friday, February 16th 8:30am to 9:30am
Please let me know if you have any questions!
Dance for a Chance - Friday, February 16th from 6:00pm to 8:00pm
**Presidents Day: No School on Monday February 19th, 2018**
Middle School Community Conversation - February 22nd from 8:30am to 9:30am @ Brooks
On Thursday, February 22, Brooks and Julian will be co-hosting a community conversation about supporting learning at the middle school level. During this session, which will be held in the Commons at Brooks from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., parents/guardians of middle school students will have the opportunity to talk to school and district representatives, as well as each other, not only about their family's educational experiences in District 97, but also the learning goals they have for their children going forward.
If you have questions or need additional information about this event, please contact Principal April Capuder at Brooks (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Principal Todd Fitzgerald at Julian (email@example.com). We look forward to seeing you on February 22.
Family Education and Advocacy sponsored by NAMI
Family Education and Advocacy series available for family members and professionals to provide educational tools for advancing a mutual understanding and resources for children with mental illness.
To register please visit our website: https://namimetsub.org/family-programs/family-advocacy
Second Step/ParenTeen Connect
Link to: https://www.parenteenconnect.org
Brooks students participate in weekly advisory lessons to build their social and emotional skills using a curriculum called Second Step. ParenTeen Connect is a resource for parents that works alongside the Second Step Program by giving middle schoolers and their parents the opportunity to hear from other teens and parents, get expert advice on tough issues, and access practical tools to help them connect and communicate better at home. Use this great resource to help guide conversations with your middle schooler about important topics like screen time, independence, responsibility and communication skills.
8th Grade Family High School Transition Information
Recognizing Staff who Make a Difference
Thank you to those who have completed this form to recognize a GBMS staff member. All individuals receive a printed certificate highlighting your appreciation for their contributions!
Please be sure your background check has been completed if you'd like to volunteer to chaperone Field Trips
Sports and Club Information
Monday 2/12 - 3:30pm to 5:00pm PRACTICE JV and V
Tuesday 2/13 - AWAY game at NORTHLAKE - Varsity plays first
Thursday 2/15 - AWAY game at STEVENSON - Varsity plays first
Friday 2/16 - 7:30am - PRACTICE JV and V
CLUB OPPORTUNITIES (can join anytime)
Each club meets weekly, unless otherwise notated below.
- ORFF Ensemble from 8:00am to 8:50am in D104 (first meeting was on 9/18). Participation is open to all students - no audition required, but enrollment is limited to 40 students. Interested students can sign-up and pick up permission slips outside of the music room (D104). For additional information contact Mr. Carrillo - firstname.lastname@example.org. Still opportunity to join.
- Ultimate Frisbee We will only meet on Mondays for the second trimester. Still 3:30-4:40 and meeting in the third floor gym. We plan on playing different types of frisbee activities in the third floor gym or the main gym when available. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Dajani at email@example.com or Mr. Gillespie at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Weather Permitting)
- Math Team from 3:30-4:30 in room B204 . The club will meet each week. Students of all interest levels are welcome. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Kahn at email@example.com.
- Spoken Word from 3:30pm to 5:30 pm in room B205. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org
- EcoEagles from 3:30pm to 4:30pm in room C302. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Stamp at email@example.com.
- Chess Club from 3:30 to 4:45 in room B305. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Hausfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vex Robotics In-House League from 3:30 to 5 pm in room B302, 1/9/18 to 3/13/18 with Robot Rumble on 3/10/18. You can learn more by viewing flyer or OPEF VexRobotics website. or if you have any questions, please email Ms. Pena at email@example.com
- Rainbow Tribe after school until 4:30 in 2nd floor conference room next to PE classroom. Permission slip found here. Here are the dates club will meet: February: 20, March: 6, 13, April: 10,24 and May: 8, 22, 29
If you have any questions, please email Ms. Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Art Club meeting from 3:30pm to 4:45pm in room D301. NO need to sign up, just show up and make art. Running now through Mid February. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Murray at email@example.com.
- Spanish Club from 3:30 to 4:30pm in room B308. Here are all the Spanish club meeting dates for the year: 2/22, 3/8, 3/22, 4/12, 4/26, 5/10, 5/24. If you have any questions please contact Mr. Lagioia at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Villalobos at email@example.com.
- Yearbook Club meeting from 3:30 to 4:30pm in room B202. We will meet every Thursday afternoon until the yearbook has been “put to bed." The yearbook goes to the publisher on April 25. We welcome all shutterbugs! If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Marsha Turner-Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Meaghan Pabellon at email@example.com
6th Grade Junie B. Jones Performances this weekend were a HUGE success! Thanks to all of the students and staff who dedicated their time, effort and energies on stage and off stage!
- Guitar Club & Dance Studio are ongoing - registration forms are due to the BRAVO Office (D103). Open to ALL Brooks Students and is FREE to join! For more info visit: bravoperformingarts.org
- The ALL-SCHOOL Spring Musical, Sister Act Jr.! is open to ALL Brooks students and all students are encouraged to be a part of this exciting adventure! Auditions are Feb 5-6 with call backs on Feb 7-8. Sign up for an audition outside the BRAVO office or on the BRAVO website at Spring Musical Audition Sign Up
- BRAVO presents the 2nd annual InSPirED Workshop (empowering students with special needs through the power of musical theater!) on February 10, 10am-4pm. Sign up in the BRAVO office or online, InSPirED Workshop Registration! InSPirED only happens once a year!
- BRAVO Summer Auditions are coming up March 5-8. Learn more about the shows and sign-up for an audition through the BRAVO website!
- NEEDED: Pizza lunch volunteers on Friday. Keep an eye out for sign-ups on the BRAVO website!days from 10:55am-1:15pm. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you are available and interested!
Get connected to PTO
Earn money for the Brooks PTO: When you shop at Amazon, begin your shopping through the link here and our PTO will earn 0.5% of your total sale, at no expense to you. First time Amazon Smile shoppers will find our organization by typing Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School Parent-Teacher Organization. Thank you for your continued support.
Subscribe to PTO Bulletin:
- The link to subscribe for families is http://eepurl.com/cgOObT
Next Community meeting is Monday, March 5th, 2018 at 7pm in the media center.