A changing Society, A Modern World
We Like Ike: A Kansan in the White House
- One of Eisenhower's strengths was ability to get long with both political parties. For this reason both republican's and Democratic wanted him to be president of the United States.
- Eisenhower was elected with 55% of the popular vote. America had a new president, and he was a Kansan!
- In the 1950's, more people were moving out in the suburbs. In Johnson County, the population quadrupled as residents of Kansas City moved in to the suburbs. Good roads and a interstate made living in he suburbs livable.
- Americans wanted peace and prosperity, and Eisenhower gave it to them.
The 1951 Flood
- Kansas weather is always unpredictable. The heavy rains of 1951 were extreme and dangerous. Strong storms caused the worst floods Kansas has seen since becoming a state.
- The floods killed 19 people and hundreds more injured. The property damage was great. Many roads and rail roads were closed.