PMHS LIBRARY NEWSLETTER
Now that it's March, hope we're lucky to get rid of this freezing, snowy weather. This month's newsletter contains a fun St. Patrick's Day quiz, Women's History Month lesson plans, and reviews on The CQ Researcher and Quizlet. These are all great resources that you can use in your classroom.
>In February we had a mix of English and Social Studies classes in the library. We also had a substantial number of students in for lunch and study hall. Now that it is a new semester, let us know how we can help with your classes. We look forward to collaborating with you! -Dawn & Kelly
Visit us online: http://www.pmschools.org/webpages/dfranzese/
St. Patrick's Day Quiz
How much do you know about St. Patrick's Day? Take our quiz and see how much. (Answers are at the bottom of the newsletter.)
1. St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17th because it's the day that:
a. St. Patrick was born
b. St. Patrick died
c. St. Patrick ran the snakes out of Ireland
2. What does the shamrock symbolize?
a. The Holy Trinity
b. The luck of the Irish
c. The green fields of Ireland
3. Where did the first St. Patrick's Day parade take place?
b. New York City
4. What will kissing the Blarney Stone bring you?
a. Good luck
c. A cold sore
5. Why do you get pinched if you aren't wearing green on St. Patrick's Day?
a. You've been naughty
b. It's a fun way to meet people
c. Leprechauns can see you
6. What was the first official color of St. Patrick's Day?
7. Where was St. Patrick born?
8. The expression Erin Go Braugh mean?
a. Ireland Forever
b. Kiss me, I'm Irish
c. Everybody's Irish
Women's History Month
In honor of Women's History Month, we've compiled a list of websites that include lessons to use in your classroom.
Database Spotlight: CQ Researcher
For usernames and passwords, please see Dawn or Kelly. We'll be happy to assist you!
Web 2.0 Tool Review: Quizlet
- FLASHCARDS: Students can study new material.
- LEARN: They can test their knowledge of the subject.
- SPELLER: In this mode students type what they hear. This works best for foreign language.
- TEST: Quizlet will generate random tests using terms and definitions from your set of flashcards. You may also print the tests.
- SCATTER: Students can race against the clock to match terms and definitions to compete for top scores.
- SPACE RACE: With Space Race, definitions scroll across the screen and students need to type in the corresponding term.
Quizlet is free but it does have two paid versions. Quizlet Plus is $15 a year, this includes image uploads, voice recordings, and no ads. With Quizlet Teacher you get class progress, no ads for students, image uploading, voice recordings, unlimited classes and faster support, for $25 a year. Quizlet also has an app for android and iTunes.
To try it out go to: http://www.quizlet.com