Wit and Wisdom Module 1
Kindergarten- The Five Senses
Module 1 Overview
In this module, students will explore the question: What are our senses and how do they help us learn as humans and as readers? They will begin to understand how readers use their senses to process information and learn. The children will be looking at art by Pablo Picasso and will examine various texts that will help them see connections between illustrations and words. They will begin to hear the rhythm and books by listening to texts with repeated frames and rhyming patterns. At the end of the module, they will write and illustrate an original book showing how their sense helps them as readers to learn from texts and also learn about the world around them.
Texts to Read to Reinforce the Theme of The Five Senses
Magic School Bus Explores the Five Senses
I Hear a Pickle (and smell, see, touch, and taste it, too!
Me and My Senses
Being curious and coming up with questions to find
To look or listen carefully to see what catches their
To show something that was hidden.
Activities to do to reinforce reading concepts
- Before reading a book, ask your child where the front, back and title page of the book is.
- While reading a book with your child, ask them two important questions-- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- While looking at a book, ask who the author is and where we find the author's name.
- While shopping at the store, talk to your child about how they are using their fives senses.
- After reading a book with your child, ask them what the message was or what did you learn after reading the story?
- As you are reading, have your child look at the illustrations to help make sense of the words you are reading.
- Ask your child questions about the story and have them tell you whether they answered the question by using the words or the illustrations in the book.
- Go on a scavenger hunt around your house. Find an object and have your child explain how the object feels when they use their sense of touch.
- Go for a walk outside and have your child talk about all the noises they hear with the sense of hearing.
- While cooking in the kitchen, have your child identify the smells they smell with their sense of smell.
- Have your child draw a picture of something in the book you read and begin labeling the picture with words, sounding out each word they write.