January 19th, 2024
❤️YOU are the Heart of our Community!❤️
2023-2024 Parent University January Session
This virtual session will equip families with reading strategies and tips to support their child(ren) at home. Scan the QR Code or complete the embedded form below. Both sessions will be virtual. We will see you there!
Register for Parent University Sessions today! We will see you there!
January: Literacy for All
February: Math Matters
March: Transitions: K / ES to MS / MS to HS
April: Preparing for EOY/EOC Assessments
May: Reducing Test Stress / Next Year Town Hall
GCPS Open Enrollment
📣🎓 CALLING ALL SENIORS! CALLING ALL SENIORS 📣🎓
Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Mark Your Calendar for this FREE Pop-Up Clinic
Cadence Academy’s objective is to deliver a personalized learning opportunity to high school students who may need an alternative learning environment. Cadence Academy will provide these students with the opportunity to earn high school credits towards graduation. Cadence Academy’s non-traditional class schedule allows students to continue their educational journey after normal school hours. Students will be using the online platform Edgenuity to complete course work.
Who is eligible: Seniors a few credits of meeting graduation requirements. Juniors seeking a minimum credit diploma. High school students that need a different learning environment.
Schedule: Monday - Thursday from 4-6pm.
If you are interested in this program, contact, Principal Anthony Dickens at 919.690.2300 or email@example.com.
Turkey Biscuit Stew
Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Value: 3/4 cup stew with 1 biscuit: 345 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
3/4 cup 2% milk
2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1 cup cooked peas
1 cup cooked whole baby carrots
1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
Preheat oven to 375°. In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, saute' onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly (about 2 minutes). Add the turkey, peas and carrots and heat through. Separate biscuits and arrange over the stew. Bake until biscuits are golden brown (20-25 minutes).
*Recipe is from A Taste of Home
January Social Emotional Learning Practice
Breathe for Compassion
Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier. -Mother Theresa
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.
-Dalai Lama XIV
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Purpose: To cultivate compassion and love for self and others
1. Settle in: Find a comfortable seat and settle in. We are going to practice a loving-kindness meditation to show love and compassion to ourselves and others. You can close your eyes or focus on one point in front of you, whatever feels most comfortable for you. Place both of your hands on your heart, and connect to your breath. Inhale; exhale. Breathe in; breathe out.
2. Loving Kindness For Yourself: Now, take a moment to connect with yourself. See yourself in your minds’ eye, as if you are looking in the mirror, and connect to your breath. As you breathe, I invite you to silently send yourself this special blessing of loving kindness: May I be happy, may I be healthy, may I be safe, may I be free. Take a deep breath in, deep breath out.
3. Loving Kindness For A Loved One: As you deepen your breath, bring to mind someone you love and hold close to your heart. It can be a family member, a teacher, a role model, or a best friend. Take a moment to connect to that person. As you continue to breathe, silently send this person your blessing or message of loving kindness: May you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be safe, may you be free.
5. Loving Kindness For A Person Suffering: Now, think about someone who is suffering or could use an extra dose of loving kindness. See them in your mind’s eye and feel them in your heart. As you
inhale and exhale, silently send this person your blessing of loving kindness: May you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be safe, may you be free.
6. Loving Kindness For Your Community: Now, bring to mind a community you are a part of. This might be your classroom community, your extended family, your close friends, or another community. See all the members of this community in your mind, and feel them in your heart. Now, send your community this message of loving kindness: May we be happy, may we be healthy, may we be safe, may we be free.
7. Loving Kindness For All Beings: Now, take this precious moment to connect with all beings everywhere. Feel the collective energy in your heart, as you send this blessing of loving kindness to everyone, everywhere: May we all be happy, may we all be healthy, may we all be safe, may we all be free.
8. 3 Collective Breaths of Compassion: To complete this practice, I invite you to take 3 collective breaths of compassion. Inhale in love, exhale kindness. Breathe compassion into your heart, exhale giving your compassion to the others. Breathe love in, exhale, sigh it out. Open your eyes if they’re closed, bring your hands to heart, and notice how you feel after practicing loving kindness.
Breathe for Compassion was taken from Breathe for Change, Dr. Ilana Nankin, Ph.D
⛄😆😂🤣 Snowman Humor 😆😂🤣⛄
- What kind of ball doesn't bounce?
- What's do snowmen eat for lunch?
- What do you get when you cross a snowman with a shark?
- Where do snowmen put their money?
- Where do snowmen get the weather report?
- A snowball!
- An iceberger.
- Frost bite!
- A snow bank.
- The Winternet.
Staff/Parent/Family Engagement Survey for All!
We need and want your insight to gain insight and improve our programming!
All staff, parents and families are asked to complete the survey below to help us assess and improve our programming and for future planning. To complete, scan the QR code or fill out the embedded form below. Thank you in advance for your honestly and time!
Granville County Public Schools
Family & Community Engagement Coordinator
Parent University: https://www.gcs.k12.nc.us/page-warehouse/parent-university