Spanish 1 - Summer 2016
See what we will be doing...
Students are better off studying 3-4 hours a day for this course in small blocks of 45 minutes to 1 hour at a time. The whole idea here is to get a good foundation for Spanish 2 from this course. They have to retain what they learn. So by processing the information multiple times a day they are feeding that information to their brains and will thus retain it longer.
Students can work ahead if they know they are going to be out for camp or vacation. If a student wanted to they could do the course in 6 weeks rather than 8.
I am excited to be working with your student and hope we all have a great experience together! Let me know if you have questions or concerns!!!
This first week of class students will be doing the introductory Getting Started Module and Unidad 1 - Conversación Básica. ... and here we go!!!!
Costa Rica - A Tropical Paradise
Required Live Class (RLC) - Online Webinar
Want to Check on Your Student's Progress????
Some things to keep in mind....
- Students cannot pass the course without doing the end of unit projects. These take the place of unit tests. Students are given 2 options and are able to use their notes and vocabulary sheets to design a web-based project that shows off what they have learned. It is to their advantage to be creative and write as much as they can using what we have been studying and they have learned.
- Students are not allowed to use outside resources - people included - or online translators to help them. Neither is aware of what they have or haven't studied and are capable of doing. If they need help, I am their best resource. They all have my phone number for calling/texting; they can chat with me during the day/evening or they can message me through our online messaging system in Canvas.
- Some students just do the quizzes and hope to pass. Won't work!!! All work needs to be submitted - any attempt is better than submitting nothing.
- When grading their written work, if a student leaves out part of the assignment or misses the boat completely I will give them between a 0 and a 50 as a red flag to grab their attention that they need to fix something after reading my feedback. Once students resubmit their work, I will regrade it and change their grade.
- If students fall behind in their work I will email you or call you to let you know so we can get them back on pace.
Please feel free to contact me about any concerns you have or your student may express. I am here to help them be successful and learn as much as they can in this class.