Austin ISD Social Studies-Update
January 10, 2018
Check out the Social Studies website for curriculum, resources, and announcements!
TAH: Westward Expansion One Day Seminar
Date: Thursday, February 15th, 2018
Time: 8:00am - 3:00pm
Location: SHRC 305 N Bluff Dr, Austin, TX 78745
This seminar will focus on Westward Expansion during the 19th Century. Ideas and events emphasized include Manifest Destiny, the Monroe Doctrine, the Mexican-American War, and the growing problem of Sectionalism that threatened to drive North and South apart. All registrations will be provided with a reader of original documents, sent to them by mail in advance of the program.
Discussion Leader: Dr. Dennis Bowman, Lindenwood University
Here's the link to the program announcement on the TAH calendar; and here's the direct link to the registration form: https://qr166.infusionsoft.com/app/form/austin20180215
UTeach Urban Teachers Social Studies PD
Location: UT Austin Room TBA
Schedule/Format: 1 hour lecture – 1.5 hour lesson plan workshop – Lunch – 1 hour lecture – 1.5 hour lesson plan workshop (includes resources for technology use in the classroom)
Registration: RSVP by February 5, 2018, 6pm Registration Form
- A History of Inequality Created by Immigration Laws
- Race & Resistance
For AISD Social Studies teachers grades 9-12, the district will pay for substitutes. Lunch will be provided for all teachers. For more information, check out the flyer below.
UT Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Summer Institutes?
- American Bar Association: Applications are available for its Summer Institute for Teachers. Learn more.
- Bill of Rights Institute: Applications are available for its Founders Fellowship Programs for teachers. Learn more.
- Bill of Rights Institute: Constitutional Academy for students is accepting applications. Learn more.
- Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History: Schedule of 2018 teacher seminars is available. Learn more.
- James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation: Apply for $24,000 fellowships. Learn more.
- National Constitution Center: Summer Institutes for teachers focus on the rule of law. Learn more.
Upcoming Student Opportunities
2018 Citizen Bee
In order for your students to compete, you will need to contact Betsy Gonzales at email@example.com and provide her with the following information:
- Your name as teacher/sponsor
- Your email
- Your cell phone number
- The name and grade level of the student being registered
- Your school name if applicable
The content of the citizen bee has changed from previous years. You can find study information at citizenbee.org
For more information, check out the flyer below.
Global Student Voice Film Festival
The new nonprofit StudentVoice.org has just launched the Global Student Voice Film Festival! This is an English-language film competition open globally to students ages 5-18. Students are invited to create a film no longer than 2 minutes responding to the prompt “In Another’s Shoes”.
Winners will be honored at a live film screening celebration at ISTE 2018 in Chicago, IL USA on Monday, June 25, 2018. Travel scholarships and registration support will be available for both students and their adult sponsors.
Submissions are open now with two due dates.
If students would like to get feedback on their films before final submission, they must submit by Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 11:59pm US Pacific Time.
All final submissions are due by Monday, April 9, 2018.
For more information including festival guidelines, submission rules and filmmaking learning resources, please visit the official website: www.studentvoice.org.
GlobalAustin Spring Opportunities
As you begin your 2018 Spring Semesters, GlobalAustin wants to continue to be part of the enrichment of your students' education. Look for the kick off of the new Student Diplomacy page on the GlobalAustin website! In the meantime there are several events that you may be able to incorporate into your Spring Curriculum:
- The American Foreign Service Association 2018 National High School Essay Contest on the topic of "Why Diplomacy and Peace Building Matter" could lead to scholarships for your students: http://afsa.org/essay-contest. DEADLINE: March 18, 2018
- In October we announced that the United States Diplomacy Center’s Diplomacy Simulations Program is now available to educators worldwide.
- You and your students have an opportunity to become Citizen Diplomats through GlobalAustin IVLP program (described more fully at the Department of State: https://eca.state.gov) hosting. GlobalAustin members have the opportunity to host dinner for IVLP visitors to Austin. Please check the GlobalAustin website for information on Membership and Hospitality Hosting.
- GlobalAustin Scholarships for Study Abroad. DEADLINE: April 4, 2018
Let us know about awesome happenings on YOUR campus!
Austin ISD Secondary Social Studies
High School Specialist - Melanie Kirchhof
If you have any questions or comments, please contact me by one of the means below.
Also, if you enjoy receiving resources more frequently than once a month, follow us on Twitter @AISDSoc !