Monday: October 12, 2015
Working together with families in a partnership of teachers, staff and community members to provide an individualized learning environment that fosters high achievement in core and elective areas; preparing students for life-long success.
World Language Interpreting
What: Basics For World Language Interpreting In Educational Settings
When: Thursday, October, 15 2015 - 2:30-5:30 PM
Where: ASD Ed Center, Blue Room
Who Can Attend: Bilingual/Multilingual Teachers and Support Staff who are recommended by their principal
· This training opportunity is for bilingual/multilingual support staff and teachers.
· This training is voluntary and is provided at no cost to the employee.
· Recommended employees must agree to serve as World Language Interpreters for their school or department.
· Training is 3 hours.
· Space is limited to 35 per session.
· Principals and supervisors agree to flex the employee’s work day on the day of the training. No additional compensation will be provided.
· Training qualifies for PSP credit for Totem employees.
GREAT ALASKA SHAKE OUT
ASD to participate in national earthquake preparedness drill
All schools have emergency action plans and practice them regularly.
ASD will join thousands of schools across the United States and worldwide in the Great ShakeOut earthquake drill. Every ASD school will participate in the emergency preparedness exercise at 10 a.m. on October 15.
“Student safety is our top priority and this drill is one example of that commitment,” said Superintendent Ed Graff. “A natural disaster is something we don’t like to think about but we must be prepared for in Alaska.”
All ASD schools have an emergency action plan and practice a series of emergency preparedness drills throughout the school year.
- Duck-cover-hold (earthquake): monthly in elementary schools; twice a year in middle and high schools
- Evacuation (fire): monthly in all schools
- Lockdown or stay-put: quarterly in all schools
- Shelter-in-place: once per school year
Annual Fall Teaching Supply Sale
Exciting news! The annual Teacher Supply Sale has returned! We are in a new location, but all of the other details remain the same. Don't remember the details? Well, here they are!
- Do YOU have unused/unneeded teaching materials clogging up your garage or classroom?
- Do YOU want those materials to go to someone who can really use them?
- Do YOU have a free Saturday on October 17th, 2015?
If the answer to any of these questions is YES, then sign up for the Annual Fall Teaching Supply Sale! The cost of a table rental is only *$10* and YOU get to keep all of your profits! Please email: Erin Peterson if you are interested in renting a table (or tables) from Abbott Loop Elementary.
Set up begins at 7 a.m. and the sale begins at 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. It's not too late to sign up for a table! Hope to see you there! :)
Meeting to set Student Growth Objectives
In lieu of the individual goal setting meetings, this year ASD teachers & principals will be conducting individual or group meetings to determine: Student Growth Objectives.
All meetings must take place by October October 15th.
Deanne's calendar is up at the front desk. Please stop by the office. Debbie will be happy to help you set an appointment.
October is National Substance Abuse Prevention Month
Every day, far too many Americans are hurt by alcohol and drug use. From diminished achievement in our schools to greater risks in our roads and in our communities, to the heartache of lives cut tragically short, the consequences of substance abuse are profound. Yet, we also know that they are preventable.
The pledging period is Oct. 1 through Oct. 31, 2015
When you make a donation to the Anchorage School District Charitable Giving Campaign, you choose how the money helps to improve our community by selecting one or more of the agencies on your pledge form.
- FPCS is still looking for a Charitable Giving Coordinator. If you are interested in being the contact person for this district wide initiative, contact Deanne for more details.
- Click on the "Pledge Now" button above to make your donation via the secure e-pledge option. Donors using the e-pledge option will receive an engraved pen.
- Spread out your donation through payroll deduction or make a one-time pledge.
- Last year, ASD employees donated almost $200,000! This effort makes a significant difference in the lives of many of our students and their families.
- Last year, FPCS Teachers, Staff, and Students donated over $1,600! This year we hope to raise the bar a little and collect $2,000. Should we reach our goal by Friday 10/23, I will again wear my hair a different color (BLUE) during the week of Halloween (October 26th - 30th).
Download the Charitable Giving brochure for a list of approved agencies and new guidelines.
- October 12 : APC Board Meeting @ FPCS Office 6:30 - ?
- October 15 : All Teacher Goal Setting/SGO meetings must be done by today.
- October 16 : 1st quarter grades due in OLS for 7th, 8th graders, & H.S. Athletes
- October 23 : Teacher Inservice @ FPCS Office - 9:00 - 4:00
[Deadlines in BOLD | Student Activities UNDERLINED]