Saunders County Fair
July 19, 2019
In this week's Smore...
** Did you know that new items added are BOLDED?!?
- Extension & Fair Office Information
- Swine Exhibitor Information
- Herdsmanship & Stalling information
- Static Building Information
- Before you enter check Tag
- Static Tag & Exhibitor Information
- Fair Schedule & Changed Times
- Exhibitor & Superintendent Shirts
- 2019 Superintendents
- 4-H Council Shirt Fundraiser
- Saunders County Fair Clean-Up Day
- 2019 Theresa Wilson Photo Theme
- Shooting Sports Practices
- Dog Practice
- Top Curriculum Exhibitor Contest
- SC 4-H Friends Foundation Fundraiser
As you all are aware, this is the first year for the Saunders County Fair being a non-terminal show. You will have the option to take pigs home on Sunday at release time or sell them to Tyson Foods. The only pigs required to ship are the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion overall market hogs and any pig sold through the auction. However, with that there have been some changes to check in and requirements.
Everyone is required to do the following:
- Sign and turn in Tyson Fresh Meats, Inc. County Fair Swine Affidavit (attached and in your exhibitor packet) at time of check in regardless if you are selling or not. This will help with record keeping.
- All fees must be paid in the 4-H office before you check in.
If you choose to sell your pig(s), the following must be completed by the time you check in:
- Tyson Fresh Meats, Inc. County Fair Swine Affidavit (attached and in your exhibitor packet) must be filled out and turned in at time of check in. If you do not turn this in, your pigs will not be shipped to harvest.
- All pigs that are designated as harvest will be tattooed on Thursday. Time will be announced at check in. A representative of your family must be at your pens to validate the correct pigs are being tattooed.
Check-in will be as follows:
- Weigh in and carcass scanning: Wednesday July 31st 8 a.m. - 10 a.m.
- Weigh in only: Wednesday July 31st 10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
- Scanning fee of $1/head and auction fee of $1/head must be paid to the fair office before checking in your pigs on Wednesday.
This is the first year for the breeding gilt show, all breeding gilts are released on Sunday at release time. Gilt classes will be determined after check in. Breeding gilts cannot be shown in the market show, market gilts cannot be shown in the breeding show.
Static Building Information
Static Exhibit Entry Time = 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM, Tuesday July 30
- Static Entry Interview Judging sign ups posted at outside entry table of 4-H building (
NEW Clover Kid Static Interviews
- Calling all Clover Kids who turned in static projects. Come to the west doors of the 4H building (patio of Open Class) and find a 4H volunteer (look for the bright yellow shirts) to sign up for an interview with one of our youth 4H volunteers. This will give kids the chance to see what it is like to interview for a project and hopefully encourage them to continue interview judging as they grow. Process will be first come, first serve. No need to sign up!
Times are 9:30am to 2:00pm on Wednesday July 31st, 2019.
Static Exhibit Release Time = 12 Noon – 2:00 PM, Sunday, August 4
State Fair Static Exhibits (non-perishable) will be KEPT AT FAIRGROUNDS between county fair and state fair. - NEW
* You have the option to take the items home from the fair if you'd like, however drop off times will be the same as perishable items.
•Perishable items will be asked to be brought to Extension Office August 19 between 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and August 20 8:00 a.m. - 12 Noon.
Static Tags and Exhibitor Information
Fair Schedule & Changed Times
- CHECK FOR CHECK IN/WEIGH IN TIMES
Everything has stayed at the same item except the following:
Best Dressed Critter – 7:00 p.m., August 1st
Favorite Foods Contest – 12:00 Noon July 28
Fashion Show – 6:00 PM July 29
BBQ - 12:00 Noon Sunday, August 4
4-H Livestock Auction - 2:00 PM Sunday, August 4
4-H Exhibitor and Superintedent Fair Shirts
ANY LIVESTOCK, HORSE, STATIC OR CONTEST EXHIBITOR MAY RECEIVE A SHIRT. Come to the office to pick up yours!
4-H Exhibitor Packets can also be picked up in the fair office.
2019 Superintendents - STATIC
Lynae Callan, Tina Hough, Diane Scheffert, Hannah Peterson, Gail Brickel
Connie Hansen, Marie Gruenes, Tammie Wall, Sue Dubois, Amy Tichota, Sue Thomas
LIFE SKILLS (heritage, child development, citizenship, business, safety, posters)
Janice Janssen, Angie Mayberry
Kim TePoel, Stefanie Sherman, Linda Hoven, Emily Harrington, Kim Novotny, Michelle Nice
COMMUNICATIONS (photography) & EXPRESSIVE ARTS
Ann Gillentine, Theresa Dumont, Nicky Draper
PLANTS & HORTICULTURE
Susie Sousek, Jane Harpenau, Kara Sousek, Collette Rathke, Marilyn Jenson, Lori Urban
ENVIRONMENTAL ED, SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY; FFA
Paula Dyas, Crystal Powers, Megan Patent-Nygren
FAVORITE FOODS REVUE
Tammie Wall, Cassidy Wall
ICE CREAM ROLLING CONTEST
Tammie Wall, Sue Dubois
2019 Static Superintendents - CONTESTS
Dale & Kristin Nygren
Matt & Lori Hannan
Rod & Julie Palm
Mike & Amanda Schaal
Norm & Sandra Kavan
Jeremy & Lisa Vrana
Ed & Donna Booth
Cassidy Wall, Amy Tichota, Betty Rezac
2019 Superintendents - LIVESTOCK
Cory Kruse, McKinley Wilson, Greg & Tammy Meduna, Beau Hartman, Ryan & Caitlin Coulson
CLOVER KID ANIMALS
Cholena Soden, Katherine Norris
Maddie Nygren, Tammy Ondracek, Jennifer Pinkelman, Jason & Jeannie Kliment, Moriah Wellman
Sarah Goracke, Roger Fujan, Hilary Fujan, Alyssa Maly
Nicki Bordovsky, Emily Pestal, Bret & Karen Pierce Pierce, Chris & Pat Gaughan
Scott Negley, Karissa Negley
Ann Gillentine, Jenae Martin - Tegtmeier, Josie Nelson
Allison Grell, Lisa Divis-Bartunek, Sherie Van Slyke
Stephanie Draper, Tammy Draper, Jeff Draper
Jennifer Norris, Krystal Tilson
Sue DuBois, Hannah Peterson
ROUND ROBIN & HERDSMANSHIP
Roger & Jennifer Benes, AnnaLisa Estrela
Dave Lanik, Richard Meduna
4-H Shirt Fundraiser
Show your love and support for Saunders County 4-H with a new t-shirt!
The Saunders County 4-H Council is sponsoring a t-shirt fundraiser to support Saunders County 4-H. Check out these awesome new t-shirts available to order. Many more options are available on the website!
The DEADLINE to order these shirts is this Sunday July 21st at 11:59 p.m.
These shirts will be available to pick up sometime during the fair! Just a reminder that these shirts CAN NOT be worn in place of the designated fair shirts at the county fair.
Saunders County Fair Clean Up Day
Saturday, July 20th, 8-10:30am
635 East 1st Street
Feel free to bring any rakes, shovels, gloves, cleaning supplies that you think you may need!
2019 Theresa Wilson Photography Theme: NEBRASKA STRONG
Shooting Sports Practices
Waggin' Tails Dog Club Practices
Top Curriculum Exhibitor Contest
2019 SC 4-H Friends Foundation Fundraiser
2019 Silent Auction “Keep Saunders County Rolling” will be the slogan for this year’s silent auction. o Cole will direct 4-H clubs (via email) to construct a project that somehow uses wheels of some sort or something that puts things into motion or that has been used to keep things in motion (ie: fiber optics, wagon wheels, tires, etc). The auction items will be on display and up for bidding during the fair.
o A “Buy Now” option price will be set upon the 4-H Club’s suggestion. Bidding will continue on items that haven’t been purchased through the “Buy Now” option and will be finalized through a Live Auction Sunday evening prior to the Livestock Auction
State Fair Deadlines
2019 Nebraska State Fair Discount Tickets
The discount tickets available for 4-H static exhibitors at the Nebraska State Fair will no longer be sold through county offices. The Nebraska State Fair is developing a new discount ticket option for 4-H static exhibitors and we will share those details as soon as they are available. The Nebraska State Fair has several great NEW discount ticket options for families already available online. Please visithttps://www.statefair.org/buy-tickets for details regarding options available now until midnight on August 22nd.
Saunders County Extension
Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture.
University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension educational programs abide with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.