Extended School Year Edition
Updates and Reminders
Welcome back to the second half of the 2015-16 school year. Spring is just around the corner, so we are focusing this newsletter on "all things "ESY!" Read below for reminders and updates about upcoming tasks and timelines.
- Remember to gather student data to illustrate regression and recoupment of skills following a break in instruction. Data that was collected prior to winter break can be compared to data collected upon the student's return to determine if skills were lost and how much instruction is required in order for the student to recoup skills.
- Review the attached "ESY Timeline for Staff." Please note that multiple tasks are required of staff members during the month of January in order for us to continue moving the ESY process forward in a timely manner.
- Coordinators will disseminate all needed documents and worksheets at your next weekly SpEd Meeting.
Making Tough Decisions Easier
"When the IEP is developed initially or reviewed annually, the IEP team shall consider the need for extended school year (ESY) services for children with disabilities. Children identified as gifted are not eligible for extended school year services. ESY services are different than general education summer school. ESY may or may not be provided in conjunction with the general education summer school. ESY may be needed by a child even though summer school is not offered for general education children. In fact, for certain children, services over winter or spring breaks may be needed. The reason for these services is to ensure the provision of a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) so that the child can make progress toward the goals specified on the child’s IEP and to prevent regression, which would impede such progress."
A "Documentation of Need Worksheet" is attached to this email and highlights questions for consideration when making eligibility determinations for ESY. This worksheet needs to be completed for each student being considered for ESY Services. Coordinators will be providing additional training on how to complete this worksheet at upcoming SpEd Meetings.
We Need You!
Proposed Dates for ESY FUN!
ESY will be scheduled for a total of 5 weeks during the months of June and July. Students will attend on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday each week. See below for specific dates:
June 6th - Teacher Work Day
- June 7th, 8th, and 9th
- June 14th, 15th, and 16th
- June 21st, 22nd, and 23rd
- July 12th, 13th, and 14th
- July 21st, 22nd, and 23rd
The location for ESY is currently being determined and will be shared with staff when confirmed.