Keeping Our Kids Safe
Peter, Shay, Kelly, and Javai
Why should parents filter or monitor what their children do on the internet?
- Children are the most targeted users on the internet.
- Over 75% of internet crimes involving children are not reported to parents or police.
- 80% of children ages 0-5 use the internet at least once a week.
- Children have access to inappropriate sites.
What's going on with the World Wide Web and children?
- Cyber Bullying- 1 million children were victims of cyber bullying during the past year.
- Online gaming- This often leads to children being less physical or active outdoors.
- Predators- 1 in 25 youths received an online sexual solicitation where the solicitor tried to make contact offline.
- Sexting- Primarily happens with older teens, but this is big issue for all youth nonetheless!
- Give your children limits.
- Have your computer in a common area in your home.
- Check your browser's history often.
- Put blocks in place.
- Be sure the school has privacy blocks in place.
- Encourage appropriate use.
- Have children sign in and out for comp time.
- Check browser history often.
- Never share you or family's personal info.
- Avoid inappropriate sites.
- Report to parents or trusted adults if you feel uncomfortable by things on the internet.