Dr. Anderson's Update
Dear RMA Colleagues,
It is hard to believe this week is the first of February. I know that much of Texas is enduring through frigid temperatures, and I encourage each of you to stay safe and warm as much as possible during this time.
This year, National School Counselor Week is February 6-10, 2023. I encourage each of you to take a moment to appreciate and recognize all our counselors accomplish daily throughout the school year. Our counselors are an essential part of our district while influencing and impacting the lives of our students. When you see your campus counselor, please take a moment to say, “Thank You.”
As we focus on Spring, I sincerely appreciate all you have done this year. In addition, I also want to express my gratitude for the ongoing focus on equitable outcomes for all students. Remembering that we are a “second chance” for many of our students. Our support often helps our students keep things in perspective when searching for solutions.
In closing, as we look forward to the last few months of the school year, please know that many incredible things are happening for students. We see your continued efforts to provide a quality education while maintaining a safe and healthy learning environment. Thank you for all you do on behalf of our students, families, and community. Together, great things will continue for our students
Dr. Armard Anderson
Superintendent of Schools
February is Black History Month
RMA Corpus Christi Students at Del Mar College for EKG and Phlebotomy!
W-2s ARE AVAILABLE!
Please keep an eye out for your W-2 - mailed out from Central Office. If you do not receive your W-2 in the mail by February 15, 2023 - you can download a copy from the WebSmart website under "My Portal"
NEW STAFF MEMBERS - JANUARY
EMPLOYEES ANNIVERSARIES - JANUARY
DATES TO REMEMBER - FEBRUARY - MAY
Promoting Great Attendance on Your Campus Best:
- Make students and parents feel welcome.
- Make your school a place where students feel safe and respected
- ·Create a positive environment which celebrates success
- Make same-day person to person contact when a student is absent. SCL calls all absent students by 8:30a for am session and 1:00pm for pm session.
- Encourage students to come to school, even if they are late or missed first period.
- Have a relationship with community areas where truant youth may congregate
- Promote school hours and days around school and with community and program partners
- Have a relationship with the local law enforcement agency which patrols the area.
- Secure and supervise campus entry and exit points
- Design a morning announcement to highlight the top grade level or classroom attendance percentage every Monday
- Schedule weekly Callouts to families and guardians to share grade level attendance percentages
- Celebrate great attendance before Holiday, Winter, or Spring Breaks
- Reward and recognize good and improved attendance, not just perfect attendance
- Post Attendance flyers and posters in classroom and school
- Have teachers offer classroom incentives in recognition of great attendance
- Post daily or weekly student attendance inside each Teacher classroom
- Post Perfect YTD, semester, monthly, 6, 9, or 12 weeks attendance in main hallway or other main areas
- Attendance Incentives – example: homeroom party, pizza, popcorn, hat day
- Schedule a monthly attendance meeting with campus personnel who work mostly with attendance (Attn. Clerk, Counselor, SCL, and Principal)
- Upon returning from absence, have the SCL discusses the absence with the student, and follows up on an excuse note or a consequence for an unexcused absence.