The Rhino Report
August 22, 2022 - Rylander Elementary School Newsletter
Highlights from Ms. Heard
Greetings Rylander Family:
Thank you for a successful first week of school! Even though we had some delays, we are getting very close to normal dismissal times. Doors open daily at 7:30 am and class starts at 7:50 am. We will start issuing tardies to students starting this week. If you arrive in the car rider line after 7:50 am, please park and walk your child into the building. Breakfast is served in the cafeteria from 7:30 am – 7:50 am.
Early Pick-up/Emergency Contacts:
Emergency contacts are listed for the campus to use in case we are unable to get in contact with you when there is an emergency with your student. We do not automatically release a student to an emergency contact, we still need to know that you give permission for the emergency contact person to pick-up your student. Please email RRETransporation@katyisd.org when anyone comes to pick-up your student and are not listed as a guardian. You must send us something in writing with a copy of your government issued ID. This is the only way we will know that you as the guardian gives permission for your child to be picked up by someone else. We understand that this may be an inconvenience, however, for safety reasons we do not want to release your child to a person who has not been approved by the parent or guardian. Early pick-up ends at 2:30 pm daily.
As a reminder, to avoid interruption of classes, messages will be delivered to students only in extreme emergencies. Delivery to students of flowers, balloons, food (including birthday treats) and other such items are prohibited at school per Katy ISD policy in the Student Handbook (pg. 48).
THANK YOU CHICK-FIL-A!
A BIG THANK YOU to Chick-fil-a for providing a Back-to-School breakfast for the RRE staff on August 8th. Chick-fil-a provided 150 chicken biscuits for our staff members to enjoy as they prepared for the upcoming school year. This kind and generous gift was greatly appreciated! Even with the Cinco Ranch location closed for remodeling, the Mason Road and Katy Green Chick-fil-as stepped in to make the sandwiches which were delivered hot and fresh. We appreciate Chick-fil-a supporting our hardworking Rhino Staff.
Rock-in_Rhinos Twitter Account
Sign-up for Remind
Please email RRETransportation@katyisd.org to request dismissal transportation changes by 2:00 pm daily.
There are two types of front/back walkers—independent and parent pick up. Independent front walkers are escorted to the corner of Falcon Landing Blvd. and Westheimer Pkwy. They walk home independently from that corner. All 2nd through 5th grade students default as independent walkers. Younger siblings (in grades PK-1st) of those students can walk home with the independent walker ONLY IF The Walker Permission form is filled out and returned to school. Here is the link for the Walker Permission Form.
PK-1st grade students default as parent pick up front walkers. These students are matched with their parents at the northeast corner of the building by the bike racks. These students can ONLY be released with a physical number tag that matches the number on the student’s dismissal tag. No photos of the tag will be accepted. If the tag is not present, the student will need to be picked up at the front office. Parent must present a government-issued ID.
Bikers are also dismissed with the independent front walkers. They follow the same procedure as independent front walkers. They must walk their bikes on school property.
Elementary School Supplies' List
Below is the Katy ISD Elementary School Supplies' list in case you were not able to pre-order school supplies. All Pre-order sales are closed.
Robotics is coming to Rylander
After School Katy Robotics Academy coming to Rylander 2022-2023
We are excited to announce that our 1st-5th graders will have an opportunity to learn computer programming through LEGO robotics this year! Registration is a first come, first served, and space is limited. To register or find out more information about this amazing program coming to Rylander. http://www.katyroboticsacademy.com/
Coder Kids Coming to Rylander starting September 19th - more info coming soon
Little Miss Cougar Star Fall Football Game Dance Clinic
Camp: Saturday, September 10, 2022 9am - 12pm Cinco Ranch High School in the dance gym . Performance: September 10 at 7:00pm. Please arrive at 6:00pm Rhodes Stadium: CRHS vs. Taylor Half Time Show Who Can Attend: Ages 4 - 11 Please Note: Camp T-Shirt MUST be worn for admission to football game and pre-game performance.
PTA First Nine Weeks Events
Field-trip and Field Day T-Shirts
Keep updated with Rylander's PTA Events
Keep updated with the PTA at www.rrepta.org Like our Facebook page @Rylander Elementary PTA and download the Remind app and join the RRE PTA with class code @ghhkc4c
Spirit wear will be available to purchase at Meet the Teacher night and online as well at https://rylanderspiritwear.itemorder.com/shop/home/
Sign up to be a member of PTA at https://www.joinpta.org/
If you purchased school supplies, your membership was already included!
Avoid the lines at Meet the Teacher and get online to order your child(ren)'s birthday message displayed on our digital marquee, donate to the party fund to help put on the class winter and end of year parties, and pre-order Field Day shirts to be used at Field Day in October and for class field trips. https://www.rrepta.org/shop
Mantente actualizado con los eventos the PTA en Rylander
Guarda la dirección de internet www.rrepta.org en tus enlaces favoritos. Dale "me gusta" a la página de Facebook @Rylander Elementary PTA, descarga la aplicación de notificaciones "Remind" en playstore o App store y también unite a RRE PTA con el código de clase @ghhkc4c
Las camisas de rylander estarán disponibles para la compra en la noche de "Conoce a tu maestra" y tambien las podras encontrar en linea en: https://rylanderspiritwear.itemorder.com/shop/home/
Subscribete para ser miembro de PTA : https://www.joinpta.org/
Si ya compraste los útiles escolares, tu membresía ya ha sido incluida.
Articulos de Pre-Orden
Evita las largas filas en la noche de "Conoce a tu maestra" y ordena por internet el mensaje de cumpleaños de tus hijos, mostrado en la pantalla de la escuela como se muestra en la siguiente foto. Mensaje de cumpleaños: $10
Helpful information as we prepare to return to school.
All breakfast and lunches are no longer free.
Please feel free to complete the free/reduced meal program application.
In May 2022, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) concluded its free breakfast and lunch meal service that was available to all students, regardless of eligibility. To determine eligibility for free meals for the 2022-2023 school year, families with students who do not attend a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) campus will need to complete a Meal Benefits/Free & Reduced meals application. More information about free and reduced benefits can be found here. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Child Nutrition Programs Income Eligibility Guidelines can be found here.
New to SchoolCafe? Setting up an account is easy!
Fill out a Meal Application, access student purchase history, view school menus, set-up a la carte purchasing restrictions, and MORE! Here is an easy step-by-step GUIDE to help set up an account for your student.
Meal Payment Information:
Payment for meals is encouraged to be cashless through the Pay N' Go App.
Cash and checks for meal payment will be accepted in the lunch line for students and change will be deposited on the student’s account. Students’ positive and negative cafeteria account balances from last year have rolled forward to the current school year.
Pay N' Go Link (see instructions below for accessing application)
Student Required items for purchase online:
Planners - $3.00
(only grades 1st, 2nd, and 3)
Lanyards - $3.00
Badge Sleeve - $1.00
Badge Clip - $1.00
Directions & link to A+ Pay N Go.
Below is the link that will get you to the log in, or create an account. Click on LOGIN.
Directions that will help you navigate the website:
After they log in, on the far right of the screen they will see a box that says Elementary Schools, click on that.
Next screen, bottom right click Elementary R-Z box.
Next screen, top row, right side, under LOGIN, click Rylander Elementary box.
On this screen click on the tab you want to pay.
Please ignore the word replacement on each of the items title . New orders are labeled replacement. It is the way the system is set up.
Start of the Schol Day & Daily Procedures
- Doors open, and staff reports to morning duty at 7:30 am. There will not be any adult supervision before this time. Please do not drop off students before 7:30 am. They will not be supervised.
- School starts at 7:50 am. Students will be considered tardy if they are not seated in their homeroom classes by 7:50 am. We will monitor student tardies and contact parents when there are tardy concerns. Students may be issued consequences based on the tardies received in each grading term.
- Tardy students must be signed in by a parent after 7:50 am. Remember, no exceptions will be made for this procedure. This means that all parents must enter the main entrance and sign-in the students who arrived after 7:50 am.
- Parents may only walk students to class on the first day of school. After the first day of school, unless the parent has an appointment, students must be dropped off and allowed to enter the building unescorted.
- Lunch and items can be dropped off at campus and left in the front entry area. No meal rider services are allowed (Uber Eats, Door Dash, etc.). Parents may drop off lunches for students by 10:30 am. Be aware that lunches dropped off after 10:30 am will not be delivered before student's lunch time.
- No lunch visitors are allowed until after Labor Day on September 6. Remember, we teach student behavior expectations and procedures during the first few weeks of school. Therefore, we want to ensure all our Rhinos are Ready to Learn by being completely aware and prepared for campus behavior expectations and procedures before allowing visitors.
- Parents may change student’s dismissal before 2:00 pm. daily. After 2:30 pm, all students will be dismissed with their tagged bookbag dismissal badge. If you want to make a change to a student’s dismissal, you may send a written note with the student in their backpack or email the RRETransportation@katyisd.org.
- If you send a note with your student, please remind your student to turn in the note to his/her homeroom teacher or the front office. However, we strongly suggest you email the campus receptionist to inform her that a note was sent in your student’s bookbag for a change in dismissal. An example of a change in dismissal is that your student usually takes the bus home, but on this particular day, that student will be picked up as a car rider. No change will be made to dismissal for any notes sent by a parent that has not been received in the front office by 2:00 pm.
- Early pick up for all students’ cutoff time is 2:30 pm. Please report to the main entrance and present your government issued identification to check out your student. After 2:30 pm, all students will be dismissed based on their dismissal backpack badges. Please, no exceptions to this procedure will be made. We have over 1000 students to account for during our complicated dismissal procedures. We cannot make last-minute changes to a highly complex system.
- Rylander’s daily dismissal is at 3:00 pm. As we become more accustomed to the dismissal process, there may be times that we have all students on the bus and lined up at the car rider station before 3:00 pm. However, we will hold students in place because our district-mandated dismissal is at 3:00 pm. Therefore, we cannot officially dismiss students before 3:00 pm. Please understand these policies and be respectful to teachers on duty who will not dismiss students or buses until 3:00 pm. We really need and appreciate your assistance in this area. School gets out at 3:00 pm.