News from the Nest
May 4, 2018
The Week Ahead
**Week of 5/7**
- Spring Book Fair (Mon. May 7 - Thurs. May 10)
Monday 5/7 (Day 3)
- Final Spring Picture pick up (all pictures due back at school!)
- Field Trip for Mrs. Caranfa's Class
- Girls on the Run, 3:30-5:00 pm, Location: Gym
Tuesday 5/8 (Day 4)
- Sundae Bar at lunch
- Spring Concert Rehearsal, 2-3 pm
- Spring Concert, 7 pm at SAHS Auditorium
Wednesday 5/9 (Day 1)
Thursday 5/10 (Day 2)
- Open House, 5:30-7:00 pm
Friday 5/11 (Day 3)
- VF Spirit Day - Wear blue and gold or VF spirit wear!
- Student Council, 8-8:30 am
- Race for Education (Rain Date Monday 5/14)
- 5th to 6th Grade Social (Carnival Night), 6:30-8 pm. Location: IVMS
Race for Education
Just 1 week left to donate to our Race for Education!
We have surpassed 25% of our $20,000 goal and now have a total of $6,540.00!!!
The classrooms with the highest number of donations will receive a pizza party. The classes in the lead are:
Kindergarten: Mrs. Fogle's AM class- 21 donations
First grade: Mrs. Porco's class- 22 donations
Second grade: Mrs. Moore's class- 20 donations
Third grade: Mrs. Edgar's class- 17 donations
Fourth grade: Mrs. Ditlow's class- 14 donations
Fifth grade: Mrs. Mandia's class- 11 donations
All proceeds from this fundraiser go to assemblies, field trips, technology initiatives, and student and family activities at Vernfield!
Donating is easy!
1. Go to www.race4ed.com/ves.
2. Type in your child's name.
3. Make your donation.
4. Share this website with family and friends via email, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
If you prefer, you can mail or hand out these self-mailers (print 2-sided, if possible) to family, friends and neighbors.
Thank you for your support in making this fundraiser successful! If you have any questions, please contact Jenn Lister at email@example.com.
Thank you to all that have donated so far!
Hot dogs will be served!
The library will open EARLY at 5 PM so that families can attend the book fair before the classrooms are open.
Race for Education Day Reminders!
K- AM 9:00 to 10:00 a.m.
2nd grade 10:00 to 11:00 a.m.
5th grade 11:00 to 12:00 p.m.
1st grade 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
K- PM & 3rd grade 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
4th grade 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.
Students should wear sneakers, comfortable clothes, sunscreen, and bring a refillable water bottle.
We are still in need for some volunteers for Race Day. If you can help, please sign-up.
Families are welcome to come and cheer the students on!
Spring BOGO Book Fair
The Spring Book Fair is May 1 through May 10, and will be open during Open House on May 10 at 5 pm.
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED! If you have never helped out with a book fair, it is a lot of fun! Time slots are flexible: please use the online book fair sign up.
Everyone loves this fair because you save lots of money and buy books to last you through the summer. The free item is of equal or less in value. Mrs. Lightstone often helps students and their families save money and sometimes that means that they buy their book at half price instead of buy one get one free. Inventory for this sale moves quickly so try to visit before Open House on May 10th!
May HSA Meeting
We extend a special invitation to the volunteers who have given their time and talents this year so that we can take a moment to thank you for all that you've done. As a token of our appreciation, we will be serving refreshments and have some door prizes to give out.
Field Day - Volunteers Needed
Home & School Survey
Save the Date!
**Week of 5/14**
- Incoming Kindergarten Parent Orientation, 6-7 pm. Location: All-Purpose Room
- Last Home & School Meeting of 2017-2018, 7-8 pm. Location: Library.
Tuesday 5/15 - NO SCHOOL - Election Day, Teacher in-service
Wednesday 5/16 - 3rd Grade Field Trip
Thursday 5/17 - Visiting Author
Friday 5/18 - Field Day (Rain Date: 5/25)
Sunday 5/20 - Girls on the Run Race
**Week of 5/21**
- Special Olympics at SAHS (Rain Date 5/24)
- Instrumental Music Sign up/Assemblies for 3rd and 4th Grades, 10:30-11 am
- OSSP Presentations, Mrs. Gehman's class, 1:30-3 pm
- 1st Grade Author's Tea, Mrs. Case's class, 9:45-10:45 am
- OSSP Presentations, Mrs. Donovan's class, 10:30-12:00 pm
- OSSP Presentations, Mrs. Mandia's class, 1:30-3 pm
- 5th Grade Field Trip
- 1st Grade Author's Tea, Miss Prodorutti's class, 9:45-10:45 am
- 2nd Grade Field Trip
- 1st Grade Author's Tea, Mrs. Porco's class, 9:45-10:45 am
- 1st Grade Author's Tea Mrs. Steffy's class, 12:15-1:15 pm
- Girls on the Run Celebration, 3:30-5 pm
- Last day of EDK
Monday 5/28 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day