By: Mia Santoro
Chinese Army Tanks
China sent many tanks to control & put an end to the protests.
Goddess of Democracy
Protesters made a large Goddess statue to represent the need for democracy.
Soldiers vs. Students
Protesters lining up against the Chinese soldiers.
- China has had an communist government almost since they became a country.
- Current leader is Li Keqiang.
- Many citizens have been angered by not having freedom & rights.
- Tiananmen Square, Beijing China.
- April 14th - June 6th.
- Lasted for over 2 months.
- Shootings & attacks occurred June 4th 1869 - June 6th 1869.
- Death of political leader Hu Yaobang.
- Wanted to go against China's Communist Government by doing a peaceful protest.
- Promote need of Democracy & freedom.
- Thousands of college students protested in Tiananmen Square.
- Other people joined them
- Put up a large statue of a goddess angering the government (especially because it didn't look Chinese).
- Eventually went on a hunger strike.
- Government sent the army with tanks & guns to control/put an end to it.
- Many were killed violently.
- More than 10,000 arrested and executed some.
- Now there government is still communist but less strict.
- Caused more riots/protests in neighboring cities because it angered & imfluenced others.
- Angered many citizens even more.
- Many died & were arrested.
The protesters attacked the tanks to prevent them from trying to stop the protests.
Hundreds of protesters held up large signs to promote their cause.
A unknown man stood in front of the tanks, but it only delayed them shortly.
Assessment Question: How did the participants demonstrate their belief system through their protests?
The participants in the "Tiananmen Square" protest showed their belief systems by standing together as one to stand up as a strong force to convince the government of the need of democracy. Thousands of students bonded together because they're belief systems greatly had to do with that every citizen should deserve rights & freedom. That they should be able to have choices also, not just the government officials. They had a peaceful protest, showing that they believe that they should stand up for themselves, but not in a violent way. This is how the participants in the "Tiananmen Square" protest showed their belief systems by standing together as one force.