Mosaica Online Happenings
September 2-6 2013
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Monday, September 2nd: Labor Day Holiday
- Tuesday, September 3rd: Start date for all 18 week students
- Thursday, September 12th: K-5 Advisement @ 10am Eastern
- Friday, September 13th: 6-12 Advisement @ 2:30pm Eastern
- Monday, September 16th: Student Enrichment Day
- Tuesday, September 24th: Online Paragon Night
- **Beginning August 28th, all adjunct teachers must submit invoices to Brenda McCullers on the 14th and 28th of the month**
Staff Spotlight- Allie Byrne
I am a Colorado native and currently live in Castle Rock. Over the summer my family, husband, and I went on a Mediterranean Cruise! It was fabulous! We went to Rome, Taormina Sicily (my fav- Italy straight out of a movie!!), Athens Greece, Ephesus Turkey, and Crete. Most definitely the best part of my summer!!
I went to the University of Cincinnati for a degree in Early Childhood Education and a minor in French. I had an absolutely amazing experience, I worked in a school that served the poorest neighborhood in Cincinnati and learned so much from my 1st graders! After graduation I moved home, got married, and started at STAR Academy in Colorado Springs (a Mosaica school) teaching Kindergarten. I taught at STAR for 2 years and learned lots but decided the drive of 100 miles a day was too much. So here I am! I am thrilled I am able to stay with Mosaica -I love Kindergarten Paragon!
Thank you Allie for making a wonderful impression on our youngest learners!
Art Club - led by Elizabeth Kamper
Book Club - led by Allie Byrne (ES), & Emily Alley (MS & HS)
Cooking Club - led by Allie Byrne
Club sign-ups are now in progress - please refer any interested students to their Advisor!
TEACHER TIP OF THE WEEK!
For 18 week students:
· Make sure your news items and checklists that are date specific for 20 week students are only released to 20 week students.
· If your live classroom time is different- create a new teacher information widget with those times and make sure you have them released for 20 week and 18 week students.
· Hide any content items, grade items, and drop boxes that the 18 week students may not be assigned. You will actually only release them to 20 week student so the 18 week students do not see them.
· Remember to move your students to the 18 week group/section that you created for them.
· Create an 18 week student jigsaw meeting until they are caught up- you can create groups which allow creating meetings really easy.
· Items that are for all students can be available for all students to see- you do not need to add any release conditions
Monthly Attendance for CO and CA
It is the end of August already! It is now time to enter Powerschool attendance just for students that are in California and Colorado. Look back at your checklists from the 19-30 and determine how many activities were completed out of the amount assigned. As long as students complete 70% of their work- they’re considered present everyday. Below is a chart to compare percentage completed to how many days you would mark them absent below the 70%.
If you assigned 20 and they did all 20- they they’re present every day for the 2 weeks.
If a student completed 15 out of 20, that would be 75% of their work completed- they would still be considered present every day.
If they completed 13 out of 20- that is 65%, I would now give them 4 days absent.
Use the following as a guide for how many days to mark for the MONTHLY Attendance.
Non Charter Mosaica Online Locations:
On September 3rd Mosaica Online will not only be adding a new group from our state charters, but will also be adding part time and credit recovery students from a variety of locations. Please refer to the Special Program Contact Information link on your home page for school and parent contact information, and always copy the school facilitator on your emails to parents and students if one is shown on the spreadsheet.
Most of our special students follow a school calendar similar to ours, but do refer to the individual school calendars for your particular students.
Feel free to contact Paula or Maria if you have questions about any of our "special friends."
Just a quick reminder that our 18 week students will be commencing their school year with baseline assessments on Tuesday 9/3 and Wednesday 9/4, with make-ups on Thursday.
The following grade levels take the following assessments:
- K-1: Reading Foundations, Math
- 2-10: Reading, Math, Language Arts, Science
So the schedule looks like this:
- Tuesday 9/3: K-1 Reading Foundations; 2-10 Reading, Math
- Wednesday 9/4: K-1 Math, 2-10 LA, Science
A Testing widget has been prepared for you, please follow the steps provided to add this to your page with a conditional release.
- Go to Edit Course
- Select Widgets
- COPY the Benchmark Testing Information widget for the appropriate state
- Go to Homepages
- Add the copied widget to your homepage (the regular one cannot be conditionally released!)
- Conditionally release to your 18 week section (Classlist, Section Enrollment, 18 week)
Be sure to create separate checklists and news items for 20 and 18 week students. We do not want our 20 week students testing again! A screenshot of the Scantron homepage is attached for use in your news and/or checklists. I am also attaching directions for your reference- please note that they are state specific. Each state has its own Site ID.
Online Paragon Nights!