Kickemuit Middle School
Husky Highlights: January 27, 2020
Hello KMS Families!
Happy Monday! We hope you had a restful weekend!
Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions.
Your KMS Administration Team
Dr. Rosemary Burns | Grade 8 Administrator
Mr. David Patota | Grade 7 Administrator
Mrs. Michelle Clifford | Grade 6 Administrator
Mr. Frank DeVall Jr. | Dean of Students
List of Information & Reminders included in this Newsletter
- Spelling Bee Winners & Alternates | Congratulations! & District Spelling Bee Info
- Science Olympiad Meetings
- STAAND Meeting | January 28th
- Coding Club on Wednesday!
Community Service Club Meeting Thursday
"Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition
- KMS PTO Updates
- School Store: Now open every other on Fridays!
- Athletics Updates | Wrestling UNDEFEATED & Spring Sports
- NJHS | Meeting Date & Induction Ceremony Info
- Math Peer-Tutoring | Now Available!
- Screenagers: Next Chapter | Open to the Public
- Valentine's Dance | Save the Date ~ Looking for Chaperones!
- Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
- Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
- Caffeine & Conversations Session 2 | February 12th
- PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
- Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
- Bristol Theatre Company presents: Disney's Frozen Jr
- Bristol Youth Flag Football open to K-6 Girls and Boys: NEW DATES
1. Congratulations to our Spelling Bee winners & alternates!
BWRSD Spelling Bee | Next week!
6. "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition | A Win-Win-Win Situation!
A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION
When you donate your unwanted plastic materials to KMS not only are you helping to keep thousands of pounds of waste out of landfills, you're also helping us to continue to create beautiful and environmentally responsible outdoor products.
Drop off bins in the front foyer | Contact - Molly.Scarborough@bwrsd.org with questions
8. Reminder: School Store open on Fridays during lunch!
9. KMS Athletics | Spring Sports Registration NOW OPEN!
Spring Sports Registration NOW Open until February 23rd
Spring Season Begins March 2, 2020
Spring Sports offered: Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Track, Club Lacrosse & Intramural Tennis/Volleyball
- Club LAX is run by the Parent Group & requires special insurance that can be purchased at USlacrosse.org.
- Baseball/Softball fields open as early as April 1st. Practices are at Colt State Park once the fields are open, from 2:30-4:30PM
- Registration is done through Family ID (link will become active on 1/13/20)
- All schedules will be on RIPCOA.Org or Mthopehuskies.com closer to the start of the season.
- All students must have be signed up on Family ID, have a RIPCOA risk form and current physical on file with the nurse in order to participate or try out.
10. National Junior Honor Society Meeting & Induction Ceremony!
Reminder: Induction Ceremony will be held on February 12th 6:00pm- 7:30pm- Save the Date
The ceremony will take place in the auditorium with refreshments in the cafeteria to follow.
12. Screenagers Next Chapter | January 28th @ 5:30PM
BWRSD & BWEF are hosting a screening & discussion of Screenagers Next Chapter on Tuesday, January 28th in the Auditorium. 5:30PM Pizza & Refreshments followed by 6:00PM Introduction & Film presentation and then a discussion from 7:15-8PM.
High Stress, anxiety and depression are experienced by millions of young people. We follow physicians and filmmakers Delaney Ruston as she discovers solutions for improved adolescent well-being in the digital age.
Source & More Info: https://www.screenagersmovie.com/about
14. Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
15. Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
To better understand when and where influenza activity is occurring, to monitor influenza-related illness, outbreaks, hospitalizations, and to determine circulating and emerging influenza virus strains please contact the School Nurse if your child has the flu and/or tests positive for the flu.
Thank you for your attention to this important health announcement.
Questions or concerns you can contact me @ 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
Erin Welchman M.Ed, BSN, RN, RICSNT
Kickemuit Middle School
525 Child Street
Warren, RI 02885
Tel. 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
16. Caffeine & Conversations Session 2
If you would like to attend, please call or email Melissa Benevides at 401-245-2010 x2006 or email@example.com
17. PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
2020 ARTS SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!!
The Providence Performing Arts Center’s Community Outreach Committee is requesting applications to the 2020 ARTS Scholarships program. The ARTS Scholarships program, sponsored by The Textron Charitable Trust and PPAC’s Annual Fund donors with support from Ocean State Charities Trust, awards up to $500 in financial assistance to each of 30 winning Rhode Island students (15 from Providence, 15 from other Rhode Island communities) for summer arts education programs.
To be eligible, a student must:
- be aged 11 - 14 by June 1, 2020
- reside in and attend school in Rhode Island
- demonstrate artistic ability and interest
- demonstrate financial need
- submit a completed application
All applications must be filled out completely and correctly, signed by the student, the parent or guardian, and the student’s sponsor and submitted with supporting materials no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Applications, guidelines, and summer arts program lists are available through the links below or can be picked up at the PPAC Administrative Office at 220 Weybosset Street, 2nd Floor, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. For questions or further information, contact Cynthia Goldsmith at 401-574-3105.
Need more information or Spanish translations: https://www.ppacri.org/outreach/arts-scholarship
Summer Art Programs 2020: https://www.ppacri.org/assets/doc/Summer-Arts-Programs-List-2020-2489a03b71.pdf
18. Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
19. Bristol Theatre Co. presents Disney's Frozen Jr.
The Bristol Theatre Company production of Disney Frozen Jr.
Based on the Disney film written by Jennifer Lee and directed by Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee
For more information: Click on the flyer Image to the right!
Tickets Available Online https://btc-frozenjr.brownpapertickets.com/
February 6 @ 7:00pm
February 7 @ 7:00pm
February 8 @ 2:00pm and 7:00pm
February 9 @ 2:00pm