Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
CHS National Hispanic Scholars
Three CHS Seniors have been selected as National Hispanic Scholars. This honor comes through the National Hispanic Recognition Program run by the College Board. Congratulations to Allissa Valenzuela, Leah Soto, and Myra Francisco for scoring in the top 2.5% among Hispanic and Latino PSAT/NMSQT takers in our region.
Congratulations to the Girls Varsity Basketball Team for taking 1st place in the Moon Valley Thanksgiving Shootout Tournament!
Student Council had the honor of decorating the Chandler Fire Department’s 1939 Dodge Fire truck for the last Saturday’s Chandler Parade of Lights.
last week's winning scores
- JV Girls Soccer def. Higley 4-1 and Gilbert 1-0
- Varsity Girls Soccer def. Higley 4-2 and Gilbert 1-0
- JV Girls Basketball def. Red Mountain 57-49, Westview 53-35, and Sandra Day O’Connor 49-29
- Freshman Girls Basketball def. Westview 44-24
- Freshman Boys Basketball def. Red Mountain 52-35
- JV Boys Basketball def. Red Mountain 53-34
- Varsity Boys Basketball def. Red Mountain 59-45
- JV Boys Basketball def. Cactus Shadows 61-37
- Varsity Boys Basketball def. Cactus Shadows 66-52
- JVII Boys Soccer def. Brophy 3-2
- Varsity Boys Soccer def. Gilbert 1-0
this week's home events
- Tuesday, 12/8: Boys Basketball vs Chaparral- Freshman @ 4 pm; JV @ 5:30 pm; and Varsity @ 7 pm
- Wednesday12/9: Wrestling- Varsity @ 3 pm; Int./Beg. Dance Concert @ 7 pm; Orchestra Concert @ 7 pm
- Thursday, 12/10: Girls Basketball vs Casteel, Freshman @ 4 pm; Int./Beg. Dance Concert @ 6 pm and 7:30 pm; Band Concert @ 7 pm
- Friday, 12/11: Girls Basketball vs Highland, Freshman @ 4 pm; JV @ 5:30 pm; and Varsity @ 7 pm
link crew cram sessions
Link Crew will be hosting Cram Session, a study session for 9th grade students as they prepare for final exams next week. Cram Session will meet in the media center on Tuesday and Wednesday after school. Students will study in groups, be able to ask questions, all while having some hot cocoa and snacks.
The Chandler High School IB Parent Booster Group will be sponsoring an ACT/SAT combo practice test on Saturday, January 9th from 8:00am-12 noon (check-in begins at 7:30am) at Chandler High School (Cafeteria). For students who are considering whether to take the SAT or the ACT, Kaplan has designed a unique combined sample test. (Taking both complete tests would take more than 7 hours.) Kaplan's combined sample test provides practice questions from each section of both tests, and will give students a taste of what to expect whether they decide to take the SAT, ACT, or both. The sample test is followed by answers, explanations, and a guide on how to score your answers to calculate a percentage on each section. The calculated scores are designed give you a general indication of your potential performance on each test, which may help you in your consideration of which test may be better suited to your strengths.
Cost: $10 per student
SIGN UP for the exam and PAY (cash or checks only) during lunch B at the IB table in the courtyard during the week of December 7.
Additionally, check out 15 Days to Final Exam Success for great tips and tools to help students start preparing for their finals on December 16th and 17th. Thanks to Mrs. Anne Bender for creating it!
ALL-IN BOOSTER CLUB FUNDRAISER
The Chandler Schools Booster Clubs are sponsoring a 5K run or 1 mile walk “All-In” on January 24th at Perry High School. This family fun event will have a vendor fair, kids’ activity zone and a variety of food trucks.
COST: $20 students (until Jan. 4); $30 non-students (until Jan. 4)
Register today at raceroster.com search for “Chandler Schools.”
Vendor and sponsorship opportunities are also available. To become a vendor or sponsor view the vendor and sponsorship form.
LADY WOLVES TEDDY BEAR DRIVE
It is that time of year again! The Girls Track Team is collecting teddy bears and blankets to help homeless and needy families for Christmas. Last year the team collected 182 teddy bears and assorted stuffed animals and distributed them at Chandler and Gilbert area hospitals, as well as the Chandler Care Center. Their goal this year is to top 200 bears and 100 blankets. Students can drop off donations in Coach Eric Richardson’s room 122; community members can drop off their donations in the CHS front office. The team will be collecting bears and blankets through December 12th.
SEND MR. ROTHER OVER THE EDGE!
Chandler Softball will provide a month of training during January for all girls ranging from 9th - 12th grade. This clinic is meant for participants who are interested in playing softball for Chandler High. During this training period, we will focus on strength, conditioning, and on field training. All technical skills will be taught in preparation for the high school season. For more information, please visit the following clinic website: CHS SOFTBALL CLINIC or contact Coach Slayton (Slayton.JanaRae@cusd80.com).
YEARBOOK SENIOR ADS
Process for purchasing a Yearbook Senior Ad: For more information, visit the yearbook website.
- Payment for the Ad: Cash or a check written to Chandler High School Yearbook, paid to the bookstore.
- Give bookstore your envelope with student name, grade, email address, & ID number on it. In the envelope include Senior Ad Order Form which shows page option (⅛, ¼, ½, full).
- If you are NOT submitting through email, include Senior Ad form, photos & TYPED text in envelope. You are encouraged to send photos & text thru email address below.
- Count the photo spaces on the yearbook spread that you have chosen, and only send that many photos through the email. You may only be able to send 1 to 3 photos maximum for each email you send us. This is the preferred way of sending photos & text to us. Pictures will NOT be returned! If you do not have email, you can submit photos on a CD put it in an envelope and then give to Bookstore.
Also, text must be typed and sent to the email address below. If you have no access to a computer, the information will be available at the school bookstore.
Email address: email@example.com
Help support extra-curricular activities and extended learning beyond the regular school day by making a tax credit donation to Chandler High School. The state of Arizona allows taxpayers to receive a tax credit of up to $200 ($400 if married and filing jointly) when you make a tax credit donation to our school. Yes, taxpayers receive a dollar-for-dollar credit towards their state tax return. Tutoring, student clubs and field trips are just a few of the enrichment programs that are supported through tax credit donations. Click here for more info, and please name Chandler High School as the recipient of your donation. Thank you for your support!
Help CHS win money by shopping at Chandler Fashion Center and The Boulevard Shops for the holidays!
• Take a photo with Santa and submit your receipt in January to earn double points plus 1,000 bonus points. Visit the link for hours, pricing and a special offer.
• Adopt an angel from the Salvation Army Trees located on the lower level in the
Sears Court. Get a receipt for your donation and bring to Guest Services by January 31 to receive 1,000 points per angel.
With final exams right around the corner, many students feel overwhelmed with all they have going on. Anxiety can make it difficult to study and be productive; fortunately, there are tons of resources available to help students manage anxiety and stay productive.
One great strategy to overcome anxiety is to practice controlled breathing. It slows down the heart and helps you stay in control of your feelings. To learn how to practice controlled breathing, visit the following link: Learning Deep Breathing.
For more general tips about dealing with anxiety, see the University College London's resource page. They offer many tips and additional strategies to utilize to help prevent exam stress. For more information, visit the following link: Exam Anxiety Tips.
career center news
- Central College- Iowa- Tuesday, 12/8 @ 8:00am
- Simpson College- Iowa- Thursday, 12/10 @ 8:30am
New presentations are added daily. Visit the career center website to access the Career Center Calendar and other valuable info.
TOP SCHOLARSHIP DATABASES: Click on the links below for valuable scholarship info
- Cappex.com: A network that connects you with different colleges and many scholarships.
- CollegeNET.com: A social network in which participating students are eligible every week to win a scholarship of approximately $300, AND a quarterly scholarship of up to $20,000
- CollegeProwler.com: A network that will tie your information with colleges of interest and many scholarships worth millions.
- FastWeb.com: A searchable database of millions of scholarships worth billions of dollars.
- FinAid.org: This award-winning site includes a comprehensive database of scholarships, student financial aid information, advice and tools.
- Secrets To Winning a Scholarship: From the publisher of FinAid.org and FastWeb.com, a presentation on how to find and win scholarships. Also visit this website to purchase a copy of his book.
- Scholarships.com: Browse through 2.7 million free scholarships and grants worth more than $19 billion.
- Scholarshipdetective.com: A popular website that will act as a search engine for millions of scholarships.
- StudentScholarships.org: Provided a comprehensive database of scholarships for students all year around.
- Zinch.com: This site will match you to $1.9 billion in scholarships and financial aid