The Vise Press
April 8, 2016
Students have been busy researching and creating Nonfiction books about Ladybugs! We have been applying our knowledge of nonfiction text features to help us think through and create our books.
Time to the Minute
Students have completed many activities during the last few weeks to practice telling time to the minute. This is a hard task for students! Students are accustomed to digital clocks, so it makes reading analog clocks difficult.
Congratulations to our newest Math Masters! The students have been working hard this year to master their different levels of math facts!
Time to the Minute
- 2nd Grade is going to Casa Manana on Friday, April 22nd to see Seussical Jr. After Casa Manana, weather permitting, we will be having lunch and an Earth Day lesson at Parr Park in Grapevine.
- Please complete the permission slip and return it along with $5 cash to pay for the trip.
- Students will need to wear their class shirts and pack a sack lunch on the day of the trip!
Monday: Send in 10-12 pictures for the students to share with the class.
Friday: Students will read a book aloud to the class and they may bring an item for Show and Tell.
GCISD Summer Programs
- On Monday, March 28th, online registration will open for our Elementary GCISD Summer Programs which includes Summer Enrichment, KidzU Camps, and ECDC Camps. This summer we will offer courses for students completing K-6th grades. Our program brochure is available online on the Summer Enrichment page and a limited amount of printed brochures will be sent out to all elementary campuses the week of March 28th. If parents need assistance with the online registration or have questions, you can direct them to the Summer Programs Office which is located in the GCISD Tax Office this year. The number is (817) 251-5206 and the office will open Monday, March 28th.
Math Telescoping Exams
Testing opportunities for telescoping in math for the 2016-2017 school year are available in the spring and summer for GCISD students who are completing grades K through 7.
The Math Telescoping Information Packet will be available the first week in March on the district website under the For Parents and Students Directory by selecting the link for Acceleration Exams, Math Telescoping, Grades K-7. From the Assessment Department page select either the ENGLISH or SPANISH version for Math Telescoping, Grades K-7.
Parents will find information about the requirements to qualify for Math Telescoping and instructions about the new TWO STEP Online Registration Process. There will be links to print the Information Packet, begin the TWO STEP Online Registration Process to register for the spring exams, view the TEKS on the TEA website, and download Study Guides for the exams purchased from UT-Austin.
The exam dates and registration deadlines for each exam date are listed below:
Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. at Colleyville Elementary
Online Registration Deadline,
April 12, 2016 CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT
The online registration form will become unavailable at 12:01 a.m., April 13, 2016.
Exam Fee Payment Deadline
April 14, 2016 by noon
Summer Exam Date
Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. at Colleyville Elementary
Online Registration Deadline
June 20, 2016 CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT
Online registration for the Summer Exam Date will open the week of May 9th. The online registration form will become unavailable at 12:01 a.m., June 21, 2016.
Exam Fee Payment Deadline
June 22, 2016 by noon
Patriot Paws: Kindergarten and Second Grade will be kicking off a PBL the first week of April called Patriot Paws. For the introductory event, we will have two assemblies, with service dog and all on Thursday, April 7th! Be sure to ask your student for ways to help with this service project! For more information on this event, please click here.
GCISD is gearing up for the annual Rachel's Challenge 5K and Community Fair onApril 16th. We will have two guest speakers and several student performances throughout the morning. If you would like to run in the chip-timed 5K, showcase your business in our community fair, or volunteer your time please click here for more information. http://www.gcisd-k12.org/Page/32352
April 14th - Volunteer Luncheon 11:30 - 1:00 in the Learning Commons
April 15th - Talent Show, Send Off for Ms. Cunningham
April 18th - 22nd - Screen Free Week
April 22nd - FIELD TRIP - Casa Manana
April 26th - Raising Cane's Fundraiser
April 28th - Kindergarten Round-Up
April 29th - Muffins with Mom 7:15
What Will We Learn Next Week???
- Students will be able to use inches, centimeters, meters, and yards to measure.
Language Arts (including Social Studies):
- Students will be able to spell words with prefixes.
- Students will be able to read and discuss books in the same series. (Character Analysis, Compare and Contrast Plots, Cause and Effect Relationships, etc.)
- Students will be able to use commas in their writing and write captivating introductions and conclusions.
- Students will be able to explore the processes in the water cycle.