Counselor's Gazette February 2014
By Ms. Forte & Ms. Milano
Lewisville High School College & Career Fair
Thursday, Feb. 27th, 11:30am-2pm
1098 W Main St, Lewisville, TX 75067
El Concilio P.A.S.E. Program Parents Advocating for Student Excellence
The Concilio is a Dallas; TX based non-profit who provides services for the community regarding education and health. The Parents Advocating for Student Excellence program began in 2002 and addresses the high dropout and low college enrollment rates of students in North Texas. The Concilio's program helps the entire family understand how to prioritize education by teaching parents their role, rights and responsibilities as these relate to their children's academic success.
WEEK 1 2/24 Orientation: The Movie
Orientación: La Película
WEEK 2 3/3 Lesson: Behavior Management
Lección: Conducta y Disciplina
**** Spring Break*******
WEEK 3 3/17 Lesson: Building Self-Esteem
Lección: Fomentando el Autoestima
WEEK 4 3/24 Lesson: Parents As First Teachers
Lección: Los Padres son los Primeros Maestros
WEEK 5 3/31 Lesson: Promoting Reading at Home
Lección: Promoviendo la lectura en el hogar
WEEK 6 4/7 Self-Management of Learning
Lección: Autonomía del aprendizaje
WEEK 7 4/14 Understanding the Education System
Lección: Comprendiendo el sistema de educación
WEEK 8 4/21 Academic Standards
Lección: Estándares Académicos
WEEK 9 4/28 Graduation (PM Only)
Graduación (por la tarde solamente)
How to refer a student for counseling
1. Fill out a Teacher Referral Form.
2. We CANNOT meet with students more than ONCE without PARENTAL CONSENT.
3. We'll schedule an appointment to meet with the student individually.
4. Counselors confidentiality rules:
- Confidentiality does not apply to cases of suspected abuse/neglect of children or the elderly.
- Confidentiality does not apply to cases of potential harm to self or others.
- A mental health professional may disclose confidential information in proceedings brought by a client against a professional.
- Confidentiality does not apply to cases involving criminal proceedings, except communications by a person voluntarily involved in a substance abuse program.
- Confidentiality may not apply in cases involving legal proceedings affecting the parent-child relationship.
- Confidentiality may not apply to cases involving a minor child. In such cases, the mental health professional may advise a parent, managing conservator or guardian of a minor, with or without minor’s consent, of the treatment needed by or given to the minor.