Raymore Update: 09/23/14
News For & About our Staff Family & PLC
Early Childhood Students Are Engaged in Learning!
Using Technology in ECSE
Jazmyn uses the SMART board to chart shapes she found on her shape hunt.
Matthew and Tucker working cooperatively in the sensory table looking for shapes in rice.
I Love You Rituals
Mrs. Allen's afternoon session participates in an I Love You ritual (Row, Row, Row, Your Boat).
Students in Mrs. Goodwin's room play grocery store at center time.
Hop on the Bus!
Mrs. Goodwin's students have fun creating a bus in class!
Meet Me at the Park
Early Childhood students enjoy our annual "Meet Me at the Park" on September 10.
Wish You Well
Thank you to Rex, Laurie, Richard, and Jennifer for all the hard work you do to make sure our school is clean and safe! We will continue our custodian celebration this Friday to recognize Rex since he was with his daughter at her wedding during last Friday's celebration. We truly appreciate all our custodians do for us!
We welcome our new para Sherrie Goodwin who will start with us on September 29. She will be working with our K-4 special education students and teachers.
Continue to keep Karen Green and her family in your thoughts and prayers as her grandson recovers from an ATV accident. He is improving after surgery.
We continue to wish Erica Sorrick well as she recovers. If you would like to help with meals, please refer to the sign up sheet
Paradise Park Winner
No Media List
Cheris Will Visit Wednesday, Sept. 24
Cheris is back Wednesday! Like last month our focus will be on collabing with elementary teachers and teams and her specific focus is proactive triaging with kids. Please bring back your "Sorting It Out" sheet you had last month. She will meet with you in your BLT room (except 2nd grade and that will be Mason's room.) If you have a BIST shirt, you can wear jeans with it on this day as well. If you would like to order one, let Cheris know.
Here's her schedule:
- 8-10 Cheris is here meeting 1:1, observing, etc.
- 10-10:30 4th gr
- 10:35-11 3rd gr
- 11-12:05 Cheris is meeting 1:1, observing, etc./Lunch
- 12:05-12:35 CAMP
- 12:35-1:30 Gr1
- 1:35-2:30 Gr2
- 2:35-3:30 GrK
The Office Needs Your Help!
Donations for Ray Pec Foundation
Family Support Fund - Sept. 25
Full Time Staff: $15
Full Time Classified:$10
*$5.00 goes to PTA dues
End of First Quarter - Parent Teacher Conferences
Are you willing to learn more about Conscious Discipline?
If you would like to learn more about Conscious Discipline or simply refresh your memory there is an opportunity coming soon to do so! Samantha Copeland has organized a Conscious Discipline video showing in her room (#105) every Thursday from 4:15- 5:15. There are 9 videos and each video is around 45 minutes. Discussion will take place after watching the video. If you are interested, please contact Samantha. More information will be coming soon regarding dates of videos. If you attend, you can wear jeans that day and an occasional Sonic drink may be a treat! Thank you to Samantha for organizing!
Reminder from HR -- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Our district offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) called New Directions. It is available to ALL staff members regardless of their full time/part time status or the insurance benefits they have from the district. This benefit is not tied to insurance and again ANY staff member can access it.
Here are some highlights of the program:
- 6 free counseling visits either by telephone or in person depending on staff member preference for any life occurrence that is causing a concern.
- These visits are per occurrence type so essentially there is no limit.
- If the 6 visits do not resolve the issue, the staff member will be referred for further treatment and the practitioners used by the EAP are also accessible through our health insurance.
- The program is highly confidential. No information regarding individual staff members is provided to the district. When scheduling appointments, they even keep in mind where a patient is employed and take care to schedule others from the same location at times that will not create a crossing of paths.
- In addition to the counseling there is a very informative website.
- A staff member's spouse and children (even those who might be away for college) are eligible for the EAP benefits.
- There is much flexibility in location of providers for the convenience of our staff.
Family and Friends Board-Please Share Photos
Targets Posted and Revisited
Guest Speaker Proposals
What's the Main Idea?
Mrs. Heier facilitates learning with her fourth graders about identifying the main idea and supporting details.
BYOD Helps Makes Learning Engaging & Fun
Mrs. Lopez's BYOD classroom have fun while reviewing for their animal adaptations test using Kahoot!
Dictionaries for All Third Graders
Thank you to the Raymore Optimist Club for donating personal dictionaries to every third grader in the district!
What's the Main Idea?
BYOD Helps Makes Learning Engaging & Fun
What Great Teachers Do Differently - Todd Whitaker
Click on the boxes below to check out these sites/articles!
Reminders & FYIs
- Cheris Visits: Sept. 24
- Family Support Fund due: Sept. 25 (turn in to Renee)
- Sped Collab: Sept. 25 (with Mrs. Woodson)
Community Blood Bank drive for Ella Joe: Sept. 27
- Sped Collab: Sept. 30 (with Mrs. Rapp)
- T2 District Technology Sharing: Sept. 30 at Buffalo Wild Wings. See email from Jason Waltz or schedule on Google shared docs: https://docs.google.com/a/raypec.org/document/d/1pn4stqflfdPRe3Fr0sfolcAD3R5WWTEf7awrc6c8jEE/edit
- Papa John's Night: Oct. 1
- Sped Collab: Oct. 2 (with Mrs. Phillips)
- Assembly: Oct. 2 9:00 a.m. (Coach Jermaine Student Leadership Assembly)
Don't forget to sign up for staff Remind text alerts (as stated in Back to School Nuts & Bolts). You can sign up for Remind text alerts through Remind.com. If you haven’t signed up yet , text @restaf1415 to (816) 398-7201. You can also use Remind text alerts to communicate with parents in your classroom.
Currently, staff should be using Protabula when any incident occurs where students are hurtful or disruptive and leave the classroom to go to a buddy room. Please access this Protabula tutorial as needed: https://docs.google.com/a/raypec.org/file/d/0BxgDChvSs-y9RkMybFhWRUJhVDUyb0JjQnB1RWUxeU53cnIw/edit
Classroom doors should remain locked and the magnet should be used to allow access into classrooms. Don't forget to include an updated class roster in your crisis bag.
- If you have any pictures of great things going on in your classroom or family, please send them to Jennika. I would love to share with others in our Weekly Staff Update.
- Call or text Michelle & Jennika if you're going to be unexpectedly absent (after 4 pm day before). 616-4210 and 550-4434
- Call or text Michelle if you will be in the building on the weekend! Protection One and Raymore PD contact her directly, so it's important she is aware in case a worry arises. 616-4210.
Classroom doors should remain locked and the magnet should be used to allow access into classrooms.
Remember to add your lesson plans to the Google RE Shared Folder each Monday by 8:25 a.m.
- Remember to check the RE Shared Calendar for events! We are still adding, and things change.
Looking for previous copies of our Weekly Staff Updates? If so, these can be found on our Raymore Tigers Weebly site under "For Staff" & then click on "Raymore Update".
PLC: Our Mission, Vision, Values
- Focus on Learning
- Build a Collaborative Culture
- Focus on Results
We answer four questions:
- What do we expect our students to learn? (Goals/Expectations)
- How will we know they are learning? (Assessment)
- How will we respond when they don’t learn? (DI Intervention)
- How will we respond if they already know it? (DI Extension)
To fulfill our mission & vision:
- M: Preparing each student for a successful and meaningful life
- V: Turning today's learners into tomorrow's leaders
With these commitments:
- We are committed to consistency & accountability for each student's success.
- We are committed to a system of support for students and adults.
- We are committed to a safe, trusting and collaborative environment.
- We are committed to best practices.
- We are committed to high expectations for learning, behavior and citizenship.
- We are committed to quality communication & positive relationships with all stakeholders
- We are committed to effective communication regarding student progress.
- We are committed to data-driven decision making.
- We are committed to use of appropriate channels for communication.
- We are committed to a guaranteed (consistent) and viable (doable) curriculum.
- We are committed to maintaining fiscal responsibility while improving student achievement