April 2016 Newsletter
REFLECTIONS FROM YOUR PTSA
A LOOK BACK:
- A big thank you to all who supported and attended author/illustrator Jeff Mack's visit to the PES in March. Literacy Night was a great success for all and helped to raise valuable funds for the PTSA, as well as provided a fun and engaging event for our youngest students.
- Testing snacks were delivered to all students grades 3-8 who were taking the state exams. Thank you to our volunteers who helped provide the brain food!
- We are excited for the Father/Daughter dance on 4/22. Tickets are still available. Please see below for information.
- A Book Swap will be available in May at the PES. This is a great opportunity to trade in some used books for some new summer reading. Details listed below.
- We have several volunteer opportunities available (see below) and are always welcoming new members!
We hope you all enjoyed your Spring Break and the children have settled back into their daily routines. While Mother Nature seems a bit confused about the seasons, we are looking forward to an exciting spring with a variety of school and community events to enjoy.
We are in need of volunteers for various, ongoing services we provide to the schools.
- Laminating Projects- you make your own hours at the school. Training will be provided!
- In search of a UPK-1st grade building representative. Duties include updating the bulletin board, being the liaison between the PTSA and the UPK-1st grade office and coordinating volunteers for UPK/Kindergarten screening.
There are many other ways to help, and new ideas and faces are always welcome! Send an email to canandaiguaPTSA@gmail.com if you are interested in hearing more.
Event Chairs needed!
We have several events that are in need of new chairs and co-chairs. Running an event is a fun way to get involved and bring your ideas to life! It's even more fun with a friend. The following events are in need of help:
- Mother/Son night chairperson: Traditionally held in the fall, but set the date when it works for you! This is a great event that brings in many families to spend quality time together, as well as raising funds for PTSA. Use our past "minute to win it" and craft format entirely, as a jumping off point, or add your own spin to things.
- Square 1 Art: This is a terrific fundraiser for the art department. All profits go directly to putting new technology and supplies into our kids' art rooms. We are currently looking for a Middle School Chairperson to help this fundraiser run smoothly.
- Coupon Book Sale co-chair: This is our main fundraiser that provides the vast majority of our funds for the school year. Every dollar we raise goes directly to our children and school. We are looking for somebody to co-chair this vital fundraiser. Duties would include distributing coupon books to students UPK-5, collecting returns and orders, and record keeping. This fundraiser takes place mid-September and goes until early October.
Please email CanandaiguaPTSA@gmail.com if you are interested in any of these positions or for more information.
PTSA Officer Positions
Father Daughter Dance
Friday, April 22nd, 6:30-8pm
90 West Gibson Street
BJ's Membership Fundraiser
Flyers with complete details and enrollment form will be sent home with the students the last week of April and the membership drive will be from May 1- May 15.
Sunday, May 15th, 8-11am
3140 County Road 10
Friday, May 20th, 8:30am-6:30pm
90 West Gibson Street
The book swap library will be located in the Link Gym.This is a perfect opportunity to trade in your children's used books for some new reading material. Help to keep reading exciting over the summer vacation!
We appreciate all book donations, but are in special need of chapter books for the older students. Volunteer opportunities will be posted as the date approaches.
Raffles for a Summer Fun Basket will also be available for only $0.50 each and all proceeds help support the PTSA.
Excuse Pad Order Form
Print your order form here and send to school with payment. Thank you for supporting the PTSA.
Saturday, April 16th, 10am-12pm
10 Parrish Street
Spring LEGO Robotics Registration
Click here to view complete information in the brochure.
Comedy Hypnosis Show
Thursday, April 21st, 7pm
215 Granger Street
Join us for a fun night with the Jack Hirsh Comedy Hypnosis Show! This is a family-friendly show at the Canandaigua Middle School auditorium.
All proceeds support the Class of 2017.
Tickets are $10 each and available at the door the night of the performance, or you can contact the Class of 2017 at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Advance tickets are also available at the Academy Main Office.
Call 585-396-3702 for questions.
ABOUT THE SHOW:
Comedy hypnotist Jack Hirsh says, "You can expect to have a lot of fun, a lot of laughs and to see your friends and family participate on stage! The show features nonstop laughs and I am excited to be presenting it for you." He also stated, "The state of hypnosis allows us to be our truest selves without fear of criticism. During the show, we focus on fun and laughter. Individuals who have seen my hypnosis show before know what a great is in store for them. Those who have yet to enjoy this unique experience are in for a real surprise!" When asked if everyone can be hypnotized, Jack stated, "Everyone who is willing to be hypnotized can be hypnotized."
"After the show is over, people often say they wish they had volunteered to come up on stage. They see how much fun it is and I assure people that I would never ask them to do anything I wouldn't be willing to do myself."
Jack harsh learned the art of comedy hypnosis on the famed Las Vegas strip. He has performed for a wide range of audiences from high school grad nights to charity events and private parties. To find out more about Jack Hirsh, visit www.jackhirsh.com
Spring/Summer Swim Lesson Registration
Thursday, April 28th, 7-9pm
435 East Street
35 minute classes for 4 yrs and up, focusing on water adjustment, personal safety, survival skills, and swimming strokes. Classes are sponsored by the CA Swim Boosters.
Spring sessions: 5/2-5/12, 5/16-5/26
Summer sessions: 6/27-7/8, 7/11-7/21
Various skill levels, times available. Registration fee $40/session.
Full details and registration form available in the Canandaigua Summer Recreation Program book.
CenterPointe Junior Golf League
Learn to Sail
Next PTSA meeting
Monday, May 2nd, 6:30pm
215 Granger Street
Attending a meeting is a great way to hear what's going on in our schools directly from administrators, PTSA officers and other community members. Please note: meetings are informal and you are welcome to bring your young children!
For more information on PTSA membership (annual dues are only $5!) and for volunteer opportunities, please see document below.
The Canandaigua Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) believes in making every child's potential a reality by being the premier organization for parent involvement and advocacy. Canandaigua PTSA is a powerful voice for all children, a significant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for the education and well-being of every child.
The PTSA provides critical financial support for various school activities and resource or equipment needs. It strongly supports the community-wide Character Education, Health & Wellness, and Family Involvement initiatives of our school district.