Cheetah News 2020-21 Vol. 2
Week of 7/27/2020
Save the Date!
- Aug. 3rd: Yearbook distribution, 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm (see below)
- Aug. 4th: Virtual New Family Orientation- We are hosting a Webinar for new to Cypress families. If you are new to Cypress or a new kinder family you should receive an email Monday with details and the link.
- Aug. 4th - 7th: District Chromebook Deployment- See details below. Cypress will NOT be one of those sites, but you can go to any site.
- Aug. 5th: Yearbook distribution, 9:00-11:00
- Aug. 11th: Virtual Meet Your Team of Teachers
- - 2 Sessions for Kinder through 5th
- 5:00 and 5:45. Your contact teacher for first 3 weeks will email on Monday the 10th.
- August 12th: EPI Supply Kits distributed by PTA (see below)
- August 12th: Parent Virtual Empowered Learning Workshop
- Aug. 13- Sept. 7th: Virtual Empowered Learning for first 3 weeks
- Sept. 8th- In person, Hybrid (if our numbers make), 100% Virtual begins
Hello Cheetah Families-
We have less than TWO WEEKS before we begin school. I am usually having dreams of not getting to school on time or forgetting where my classroom is by this time of the year. YES, I still have starting school dreams ;-) This year, my start of the year dreams are a little different.
Our start of they year will be a little different. What are those things that you and your children look forward to? That call or email with who your teacher will be?That first night walking in to meet your teacher? Or getting all those new school supplies. (I still love the smell and perfect points of new crayons!) Choosing that first day outfit? What about that start of the year picture with your teacher? How can you start helping them now be prepared for the difference this year?
What will those things look like this year? With the choice learning and teacher placement for the choices, our campus will start the first three weeks with a Virtual Team approach. You will have a point of contact, but your child will be in virtual contact with all members of the grade level. Why? Our leadership team has discussed the different ways that our students may be flexing into different classes this year.
Now more than ever, we would like our students to know they are taught by the team. If you choose to move from virtual to in person, if a teacher gets ill, or if there is a need for our campus to move back to virtual, All Teachers for All Kids will be our motto. Essentially you will have a contact teacher for each nine weeks. Depending on how much movement we have between options, some students may have different teachers as their main points of contact. We will attempt to maintain as much consistency as possible in teachers, but we will expect consistency across the grade level that will help with the need to flex students in and out of classes at the 9 week choice time.
On Monday, Aug. 11th, you can expect an email from your team contact. That email will give you log in info for your Meet the Team night. PTA has set up a time for you to retrieve EPI school supplies on the 12th, or you can leave them at campus. They will be waiting for your child on Sept. 8th. On Sept. 8th there will be new expectations on arrival and dismissal. We will be sharing that as we get closer to opening the buildings.
On Tuesday, Aug. 12th, several of our teachers will host a webinar geared toward helping parents understand the learning platforms used in our Virtual Empowered Learning. Our platforms will be the same as our campus used in spring. K-2 will use See Saw as the platform, websites to help inform, and Zoom as synchronous learning. 3-5 will use Google Classroom, sites to inform, and will start off using Zoom as synchronous learning.
With information changing daily, I know you each continue to have questions on what is best to do for your family. If you have not, please take the time to review the district protocols and handbook linked below. Our goal is to be here to help and support as we can. We know that in our attempt to do what is best for all, there may be some who do not fully support decisions that are made by our district or our campus. Please take the time to reach out and let us know your situation. We may be able to share insight on they "why" things are working the way they are or at least hear your concern. I again would like to say THANK YOU for your flexibility
Our Cypress Cheetah Community will rise to any challenge!!
- Wanting to see all the information the District is offering on the start of the new school year? Check out the Launch to Learning site that has everything in one place, including recordings from past informational webinars!
- More details about the 3 options that LISD will be offering when buildings re-open to families are available here .
- The District needs confirmation from you on your student's planned learning option for this Fall. The Student Selection Form is located here (noting your choice of Virtual, Hybrid or In Person). Complete by August 6. The official form is the only way to note your decision. Emails to the school do not count as enrollment in your choice. You will need to know your student's ID number which can be found in the Home Access Center.
- Our campus remains closed to visitors for the sake of health and safety. There are some exceptions that will be result in scheduled appointments. Any visitors entering campus for a scheduled appointment will need to complete a Visitor Health Self-Screening assessment. There will be a QR code for you to scan, so please bring your phone when signing in. Please call our front office with any needs.
- Chromebook distribution will only be available at the following campuses: Mason, Bagdad, Cox, Pleasant Hill and Grandview. Please see more information on the District laptop distribution page if your student has a need for a device.
- Questions about the District health response? Check out the handbook here.
Yearbooks are here!
For those families that ordered a yearbook, you can pick them up in the front of the school, by the awning during the following times:
August 3rd, 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm or August 5th, 9:00 am - 11:00 am.
Please display a piece of paper in your window with your student's last name and the number of yearbooks you purchased. (See picture for example)
Returning and Pre-Registered Students
Please click on the link to update your child's information
This IS NOT the registration for learning options upon returning to campus. This is to ensure that all of our records are up to date with the most current information. LISD is asking you to complete BOTH enrollment for learning opportunities and updating registration information.
Good afternoon Cheetah families,
We know that many things about this school year remain uncertain, but Cypress Elementary PTA is committed to being there every step of the way to support our students, staff, and community through it all! We’d love for you to join us!
We look forward to welcoming NEW and RETURNING families back for the 2020-2021 school year. Parents and teachers in partnerships will make for the best possible outcomes for our children this school year – virtually and in-person!
- For those families that ordered EPI School Supplies through the PTA, kits will be distributed on Wednesday, August 12 from 8:00 am - 10:00 am and 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm.
- Calling all Cypress gardeners! We are seeking individuals or families to prepare our Cypress garden as this will provide an outdoor space for our children to enjoy. Email Cheryl Carey if interested.
Welcome our NEW AP!
A group of dedicated teachers paired with me to look for one amazing educator who would be the perfect addition to our campus community. We are honored to have Justin Gomez be a Cheetah!
Cypress community and students, I am so excited to be joining you this year as your new Assistant Principal. The reputation of Cypress Elementary is strong in Leander and I look forward to becoming a part of it. Please assist your children in visiting Flipgrid.com by clicking the link or putting in this FlipCode (cypap). You will need to sign in with your child's LISD google account- Firstname.firstname.lastname@example.org; Where ## is the last two digits of your child's ID#. Your student will be able to watch the video and respond by logging in. If you are unable to log in and only want to view the video, please use this link.
Here they will find a video of me introducing myself and they will have the opportunity to share a video with me. I look forward to getting to know each and every one of you and becoming a part of the Cheetah community!