BURLESON ELEMENTARY NEWS
APRIL 29, 2021
5TH GRADE FARM TOUR
4th & 5th GRADE SOIL STEWARDSHIP BREAKFAST POSTER WINNERS
A NOTE FROM DR. COFFMAN
Poster contest winners:
1. Ashlyn Jowers
2. Riggin Day
1. Owen Weems
2. Marisol Castillo
3. Emma Moya
Please show your teacher loads of love this next week for Teacher Appreciation Week! They work so hard to prepare your children for the future, they need to know how much they are appreciated! We are blessed to have the best teachers and staff :)
The teachers and students are busy preparing for STAAR. The first round of testing is over and we have third through fifth grade testing in the middle of May. Please encourage all children to read and turn in all library books by the end of school.
- Practice all letter and sound recognition.
- Focus on number recognition up to #20.
- Please have students continue to practice writing their name at home.
- Please write down words read on reading log.
- Library books are due back on Tuesday.
- 75 Sight word test tomorrow!!
- Spelling test every Thursday.
- Please bring a water bottle and good shoes for PE and recess every day.
- Last day of the Book Fair is tomorrow, April 30th.
- Kinder Graduation on May 26th from 8:20 - 9:00 am.
- Field Day May 27th.
Attendance is very crucial. We are doing lots of EOY testing! Please contact me and the office if your child will be out.
Read, read, read every night 🙂 It is so important to keep building that confidence, fluency, and comprehension daily at this age!
Thank you for all you do! I can't believe these sweet kiddos are almost firsties!!
· Sight word test tomorrow over 35 pink sight words.
· Practice spelling words and sentences for the test on Wednesday.
· Practice -3’s for a test tomorrow.
· READ, READ, READ and be ready to AR test every day.
· Make sure to send a water bottle every day.
**Mark your calendar now!! End of year awards will be on Wednesday, May 26th from 9:00 – 9:25.
Just a few things to remember for this week....
-Second grade will test over -12 math facts this Friday and then spend time reviewing addition and subtraction facts.
-Saxon Phonics is nearing the end of the lessons for the year. We will work through Lesson 140 and then spend time review the rules that have been covered this year.
-The next set of Saxon and spelling tests will be on Wednesday, May 5th. Please use the extra time to study spelling words and phonics rules!
-Continue to READ, READ, READ and take AR tests!!!
-Be sure you are reading for at least 20 minutes every night and that you are filling out the Home Reading Log. The Reading Logs are due every Friday morning.
-Please remember to send a water bottle with your child/children each and every day.
-Thank you for all that you do!
In math we are practicing for the STAAR test this week and next week. Please make sure your child is here every day so that they are well prepared for the test.
Math STAAR test is on May 11.
Math fact homework is due on Friday and math fact test will be on Friday.
In science we are finishing up our lesson over food chains.
- We are headed into our 3rd week of our genre focused STAAR review. We will be studying informational text. We will be studying various forms of informational text and understand the many purposes for writing informational text such as informing, explaining, describing, or defining a topic or procedure.
- We will be continuing to review in Social Studies. This next week we will be talking about communities and government.
- Please make sure your child is here as much as possible! We take the Reading STAAR on May 12th.
· In reading we are continuing to work hard reviewing and preparing for the Reading STAAR Test on May 12th.
· Our new RTI intervention groups are working well. All students participate in small groups to get some extra targeted help to prepare them for STAAR. I am seeing good results!
· This week In Social Studies we are learning about the Texas Frontier.
· Please make sure to check your child’s graded papers each week. Any corrections need to made and returned in a timely manner.
· As always… Read, Read, Read! – Reading is a homework assignment! All students are required to read for at least 20 minutes every evening. Please make sure you monitor what your child is reading and initial your child’s Reading Log every evening after they have read.
Please message me on Dojo with any questions or concerns.
- In Math we are practicing very hard to prepare for the Math STAAR test. We are reviewing concepts that we have learned since the beginning of school. The Math STAAR test is May 11th. It’s coming up quickly! Please make every effort to have your children here everyday so they won’t miss out on reviewing these concepts.
- Congratulations to Owen Weems, Marisol Castillo, and Kenia Acosta for placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the Terry County Soil and Water Conservation District’s poster contest about healthy communities. They got to enjoy a great breakfast as they were recognized and presented prizes by the TCSWCD.
- Please make sure that your child is doing their 20-minute reading EVERY night. This will boost their vocabulary and make them an all around better student. Reading every day helps with Math, Science and Social Studies also!
-We are counting down to our STAAR test. Please, please make sure your child is in school every day. We are reviewing and we need all students in class.
Many students are not finishing their work, or they leave it at home. This slows down our learning and we must try harder to be responsible.
We are so close to the end! Finishing up paired passages, then next week reviewing all week.
It is so important that your students are here EVERY DAY right now!!!
We have a field trip planned for after STAAR! But they must stay on their best behavior and get their work turned in.
Still send water bottles, we cannot be sharing the fountain.Thank you for all you do!!!!
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK MAY 4-7
VARISTY CHEERLEADERS FUNDRAISER
Thank you for your support!
WEDNESDAY SNACK SHACK
Prices will range from $2.00 - $4.00.
MEADOW PTO SNACK CART ON FRIDAY'S
MAY LUNCH MENU
Your child's name will be displayed on the day of their birthday. If their special day falls on a weekend their shout out will be displayed on the Friday before. This is open to ALL Meadow students and staff.