Anne Wien ASP News
River Otters After the 3:30 Bell
Celebrate the 23rd Annual Lights On Afterschool!
Families are invited to join their ASP students for an afternoon of hands on activities during ASP on Thursday, October 20th from 4:00 to 5:30. Families who attend for 20 minutes or more will be eligible for one of two $25.00 Visa Gift Cards donated by the Alaska Afterschool Network!
- Please sign in at the school's front office beginning at 4:00. ASP will run until 5:30 with end of program safety systems in place. Families picking up ASP students will sign students out at 5:30 at the front office. The ASP bus will leave at 5:45.
3rd - 5th Grade Enrichment Session Highlights
Anne Wien ASP is sew fortunate (pun intended!) to have Anne Wien 4th grade teacher Ms. Millington join our ASP Team! Sewing supports students' practical mathematics skills including measurement and fractions. Sewing also requires concentration and hand-eye coordination which support cognitive development and the development of motor skills. And let's not forget how sewing encourages creative thinking and problem solving.
- Currently in ASP-Sewing, students have been learning about using our sewing machine, learning how to make a 5/8" seam with a sewing machine, learning how to use an iron and sew on buttons. Students are either picking projects to make or have already started projects and everyone is looking forward to displaying them! We promise to post pictures!!
Club de Español
Bienvenida Señora Guzman-Falukos! Ms.Falukos comes to AWE ASP each day after a full day teaching English language learners (ELL) at Tanana Middle School. In addition to supporting 5th grade ASP academic sessions, Ms.Falukos leads Spanish Club each Monday and Wednesday. Students who selected Spanish Club as an enrichment are learning to speak and read Spanish while also learning about the countries and cultures of Spanish speaking people. Research shows that learning a second language boosts problem-solving, critical-thinking, and listening skills, in addition to improving memory, concentration, and the ability to multitask. Spanish Club also promotes diversity and global awareness while students learn about different customs, and experience the food, music, and art of Spanish-speaking countries.
- Currently, students are making piñatas!
We are grateful to welcome back our ASP community partner Fairbanks Soil & Water Conservation District. FS&W educator Ms. Wettroth comes to Anne Wien twice a week with hands-on science exploration activities. During the first quarter of Forestry Exploration, ASP student scientist have spent.a great deal of time outdoors collecting and observing insects, identifying trees, and exploring habitats.
Plans for the upcoming quarter, Soil and Water, include exploration of soil structure and development, composting worms, owl pellets, water structure and properties, watersheds, H2O olympics, homemade lava lamps and marbleized paper.
- Recently, students have been enjoying the outdoor classroom of the grounds surrounding our school by collecting organic materials to create art.
1st Grade Cohort
Building/engineering with Ms. Reed is a favorite activity once the students have worked on their academic skills with Ms. Anderson and Ms. Reece. Anne Wien ASP students benefit from all three of the Anne Wien first grade teachers supporting the extended day in ASP! We can not thank them enough!
Construction/building help kids develop:
- motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- spatial skills
- a capacity for creative, divergent thinking
- social skills
- language skills
4th Grade - Academic Skills Session
Fourth grade students are enjoying daily readings from The Wild Robot written and illustrated by Peter Brown. Daily readings are followed by students completing their reading logs or journaling, and working on math skills or homework. Each Thursday a special activity is introduced for after students complete their journaling or reading logs, including Q-bitzs cards and blocks.
- Q-bitzs support spatial reasoning, logical thinking, and memory, and teaches symmetry. Students use the special blocks to recreate patterns ranging in difficulty from beginning to advanced.
- Collaborative robot building with Legos based on The Wild Robot. Collaborative engineering/building promotes teamwork and social skills, communication and language skills, problem solving, mathematics and spatial awareness, and fosters creativity and experimentation.
Winter Gear Reminder
Please support student safety and fun during ASP by sending students with weather appropriate winter gear. From outdoor fun and explorations to emergency evacuations from the building or the bus, being warm makes for happier River Otters!
- ASP students will be required to put on their winter gear before leaving their ASP classroom beginning this Wednesday, October 12. Wearing their winter gear as they exit ASP ensures they have it for the following morning.
Daily Schedule - Monday - Thursday - No ASP on Fridays!
- 3:30 - ASP begins right after the 3:30 release bell - students check into ASP
- 3:30 - 4:00 - 15 minutes of adult-led physical activities & free snacks supplied by FNSBSD Nutritional Services
- 4:00 - 5:30 - Academic and enrichment sessions
- 5:30 - 5:45 - Student Pick-up - Families must sign students out at the front office. Front office door unlocked at 5:25
- 5:45 - ASP Bus departs - If your student does not arrive at the expected time call the Durham bus barn at 907-206-7789..
Nutrition Services / SchoolCafé / Free & Reduced Applications
Nutrition Services frequently receives requests for statistical data on schools' free and reduced percentages. The State of Alaska Child Nutrition Program now has these statistics available for all Alaska school districts and individual sites. The official count is taken in October of each school year.
Lea Hood - After School Program Coordinator
Contact Ms. Hood
- 10:30 to 3:15 at AWE extension 27505 or option 5
- 3:15 to 6:30 - call or text the ASP mobile at 907-347-0325
- Please feel free to text any time throughout the school day - 907-347-0325
Durham Bus Services - 907-206-7789
Location: 1501 Hampstead Avenue, Fairbanks, AK, USA