Frankenstein Final Assessment
Modern Connection To The Present
- Why is responsibility important? Without responsibility people and kids would not be making the right decision and would not know how to decide the right choice.
- I think some teens are responsible as others are not. I think one of the main factors that deal with kids are how their parents are teaching them.
- Example: A teenager has an important test coming up the choice of studying and doing well vs the choice of not studying and failing. That responsibility is all up to the teen but if the parent is strict, pushes punishments and rewards the teen when good is done they will be more responsible and try harder.
- Issues on admitting when you are wrong and when enough is enough. Responsibility is shown through taking actions in your own hands and taking the consequences for your actions.
"He beheld those he loved spend vain sorrow upon the graves of william and justine, the first hapless victims to his unhallowed arts"(Shelley 73)
This quote shows how the creation of what Victor has made has killed two people. Not only two people but two of his own family. This connects to responsibility because what victor did harmed others and Victor did not speak up to save Justine.
"For this I had deprived myself of rest and health. I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart." (Shelley 42)
This shows how Victor during his creating time did not responsibly take care of his body or his surroundings. He ignored his friends and family for a long period of time. When the creation was done Victor ran out on it and did not responsibly own up to his mistake.
Frankenstein - The Creation
"In a fit of enthusiastic madness I created a rational creature and was bound towards him to assure, as far as was in my power, his happiness and well-being . . . I refused, and I did right in refusing, to create a companion for the first creature. He showed unparalleled malignity and selfishness in evil; he destroyed my friends . . . Miserable himself that he may render no other wretched, he ought to die. The task of his destruction was mine, but I have failed."(Shelley 199-200)
This quote shows how instead of making the same mistake again victor realizes it is wrong. Taking responsibility in his own hands he will not make another creature and vow to destroy the first one.
"I also thought of my father and surviving brother: should I by my base desertion leave them exposed and unprotected to the malice of the fiend whom I had let loose among them?" (Shelley 152)
Victor has to take responsibility into his own hands and own up to his mistake. Victor has to do what is right which is to come clean and protect his remaining family.
" I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room and continued a long time traversing my bedchamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep." (Shelley 47)
Victor is in denial at this point on what he has done. Victor needs to own up and accept the fact that he made the creation and take control of the situation before it gets out of hand.
"I stepped fearfully in: the apartment was empty; and my bedroom was also freed from its hideous guest. I could hardly believe that so a great fortune could have befallen me; but when i became assured that my enemy had indeed fled, I clapped my hands for joy, and ran down to Clerval." (Shelley 50)
Victor needs to know that this isn't the end and needs to fix the problem. He is in joy for now thinking the creature is gone but needs to accept that he has to do something about it.
- Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft, and J. Paul Hunter. Frankenstein: The 1818 Text, Contexts, Nineteenth-century Responses, Modern Criticism. New York: W.W. Norton, 1996. Print.
- "Frankenstein - The Creation." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOcJwt8XB4M>.
- "Mary+shelley+frankenstein - Google Search." Mary+shelley+frankenstein - Google Search. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Nov. 2015. <https://www.google.com/search?q=mary%2Bshelley%2Bfrankenstein&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI_MPXmtqTyQIVATwmCh1rmQNW&dpr=1#imgrc=5qaX8PoXsKM64M%3A>.
- N.p., n.d. Web. <https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dmary%2Bshelley%2Bfrankenstein%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D799%26tbm%3Disch%26source%3Dlnms%26sa%3DX%26ved%3D0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMI_MPXmtqTyQIVATwmCh1rmQNW%26dpr%3D1%23imgrc%3DAiqcYjs7CgaudM%253A>.
- N.p., n.d. Web. <http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/responsibility_teenagers.html>