Messages from Memorial
Memorial Elementary School Newsletter - May 2019
“Spring is when you feel like whistling, even with a shoe full of slush.” — Doug Larson
Save the Date (s):
April 22 - May 17 ILEARN test window for Grades 3, 4, and 5
April 29 - May 3 TV Turn-off Week
6-10 Teacher Appreciation Week
9 Parent Night at BFMS and TJMS at 6:30 pm
12 HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY
14 Red Cross Blood Drive at Memorial (see below for more details)
17 Traditional School Day for K-8 students for make-up day
23 5th Grade Students visit Ben Franklin Middle School
24 Field Day
27 Memorial Day - No School
28 Fifth Grade Celebration
29 Memorial's Bus Driver Appreciation Day
30 1/2 Day for Students - Last Day of School
3-6 Residency Verification for last names beginning in A - M (see details below)
10-13 Residencey Verification for last names beginning in N - z (see details below)
16 HAPPY FATHER"S DAY
Thank you for your help with CHORES FOR CHARITY
Important Update for 2019-20 Registration - All returning students must Verify Residency
All Valparaiso Community Schools will be open for Residency / Address Verification. If you have students at multiple schools in the district you will be able to complete the residency/address verification for all of your students at one school.
Monday, June 3 through Thursday, June 6 for last names beginning with A – M
Monday, June 10 through Thursday, June 13 for last names beginning with N – Z 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
What to Bring:
Homeowner: Mortgage papers or tax receipt, utility bill, water bill, and driver’s license
Renter: Lease agreement and lease end date, utility bill or pay stub, bill mailed to home, and driver’s license
Mandatory Residency/Address Verification is required before the 2019 school year registration can be accessed.
Fifth Grade Parent Night at the Middle Schools
Please note changes in the year end calendar:
Dine to Donate at Chilis
ILEARN - New and Coming this spring!
Spring Into the Arts Festival
The month long series of events featuring ART-astic opportunities + experiences for our community is underway through May 18th! Each event is student-centered and showcases a specific art form through student exhibits and/or performances, the next of which is the Film Festival on Saturday. As a reminder, a list of events is shown below or interested individuals may visit www.springintothearts.com for more information.
Remaining Event Date:
- Where Did V@n Gogh: Sunday, May 20th Urschel "Performance Art"
April & May Focus on All 7 Habits for Happy Kids
THANK YOU TO THE 18-19 PTO Officers. YOU ARE APPRECIATED!
You can find the Memorial PTO News at: http://www.memorialelementarypto.com/
This year's PTO officers:
President - Debra Krieg Lewis
Vice President - Stephanie Edwards
Secretary - Leslee Davies
Treasurer - Trish VanTornhout
Summer Opportunity at VU
NOTES & REMINDERS:
- Because many of our buses are full, students will only be allowed to ride a bus that is not their own, in an emergency situation.
- Please send a note, or email Mrs. Remijan, in the morning with all changes in transportation. When calls are made during the busy school day, there is a chance that the message may get delayed and/or not delivered. If you have an emergency during the day, which merits a change in transportation, the best way to send the message is to Mrs. Remijan's email: email@example.com
- If you are sending a note to the school about transportation, please include your child's last name.
- Students may not carry medicine with them throughout the school day, this includes Inhalers. Please talk to the school nurse, Mrs. Scott, about your child's medical needs.
- If your child is late to school (after the 8:45 bell) please walk them into the office and sign them in.
- If you need a copy of the School Wellness Policy, please ask in the office. There is a list of acceptable birthday/classroom treats.
- If you have not completed a Background Check this school year, please do so ASAP. This needs to be done for all visitors and volunteers that are coming to school during the school day.
- If you need a sign for your car for the Pick-Up Line, please call the office.
General Dismissal Procedures
All students who are car riders should leave the building out the east door (Door C) and wait along the curb on Milton Street. The students should enter the car along the curb as directed by the staff.
Students who are walkers should proceed out the front door and follow the sidewalks along Park and Milton. If you are generally a walker, but plan to drive during the cold winter months, please send in a note and your child can become a car rider.
If you park on Park Avenue to pick up your child who is a walker, please be mindful of the cars that travel down Center Street and leave plenty of room for them to pass through.
Thank you for your assistance in keeping dismissal safe!