FAC Weekly Update - 9/20/19
"Excellence is not a single act, but a daily occurrence."
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a terrific week! We experienced a week full of progress at the FAC. Walking the halls, you can see and hear our students making strides, as they work hard to prepare for their upcoming concerts, art shows, theatre performances, and much more. Our Digital Filmmaking students are out and about, working on their projects. Recording Arts students are crafting compositions, and the next great masterpieces are being created in the Writing studio. Down the sidewalk from the main entrance, the John Acorn fountain sculpture is finally operational, bringing life back to our campus. One thing can be certain at the FAC - we are always progressing, relentlessly searching for higher achievement!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
Student Leadership Lesson
This week's leadership lesson:
“It won’t always go your way, so you can’t get trapped in this idea that just because you’ve imagined a possibility for yourself that you somehow deserve it. Your entitled mind is dead weight. Cut it loose. Don’t focus on what you think you deserve. Take aim on what you are willing to earn!”
― David Goggins, Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
Support our FAC Students!
- South Carolina Children's Theatre - Ella Enchanted - ENDS SUNDAY! https://scchildrenstheatre.org/shop/ella-enchanted/
- Warehouse Theatre - The Crucible - https://warehousetheatre.com/shows/the-crucible/, Directed by Jayce Tromsness (husband of FAC Theatre Faculty, Anne Tromsness)
Did we miss anything that features our students? Please email Mr. Popat with information.
From the FAC pARTners
The pARTners will be selling t-shirts, stickers (NEW), magnets, and lanyards in the morning before classes on Friday. Students should take this opportunity to add some FAC swag to their wardrobe!
College Day - NEXT FRIDAY!
- 12:45 p.m. - students may begin circulating around to tables, visiting colleges throughout the building. *Note that students are not required to be here at 12:45. They can start visiting schools whenever they arrive at the FAC for their afternoon classes.
- 1:45 p.m. - students report to their class studio to meet with University Representatives
- 2:30 p.m. - students circulate to tables
- 3:20 p.m. - dismissal, end of College Day
Greenville County Schools Foundation Scholarship Golf Tournament
The 24th Annual GCS Foundation Scholarship Golf Tournament will be held on Monday, October 28, 2019, at Pebble Creek Club. The deadline to register is Monday, October 14. Proceeds will provide college scholarships to GCS 2020 graduates.
If you are interested in forming a team to represent the Fine Arts Center, please email me (Mr. Popat). I plan on playing in the tournament and need some FAC golfers to join me!
Want to help raise funds for the Fine Arts Center? Simply shop at Publix! Click on the following link for directions and information - https://corporate.publix.com/community/corporate-campaigns/publix-partners.
Educators Who Make a Difference
Upstate Parent magazine is seeking nominations for their annual “Educators Who Make a Difference” edition. Nominations must be made using the online form found here. Please submit your nominations by October 18. You may nominate more than one person but may not nominate the same person more than once. We hope that you will take this opportunity to recognize our phenomenal Faculty!
Friday Studio Access
Studio access will end on Fridays at 4:30 p.m. This applies to all Fridays. Please be sure that you have wrapped up your activities by that time and have arranged for prompt transportation.
Greenville County Schools - Financial Aid Workshops
Greenville County Schools has four Financial Aid Workshops available to parents. Please choose the date and location that best fits your schedule:
- September 30, 2019 • 6 PM, Hillcrest High
- October 7, 2019 • 6 PM, JL Mann High Academy
- October 14, 2019 • 6 PM, Travelers Rest High
- October 21, 2019 • 6 PM, Eastside High
- September 27: College Day - Afternoon Classes
- October 4: Music Faculty Recital - during the school day
- October 7: Visual Arts Portfolio Day - during the school day
- October 10: Senior Visual Arts Field Trip to Penland
- October 10: Jazz Concert - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- October 17: Strings Chamber Music Concert - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- October 19: Voice Field Trip to SCNATS
- October 22: Visual Arts Field Trip to Atlanta
- October 23: Jazz Concert @ Genevieve's - 7:00 p.m.