FIRST GRADE NEWS
September 24, 2015
Dear 1st Grade Star Parents,
We are looking for parents to serve on our Site-Based Improvement Council (SBIC). If you would like more information or to sign up, please visit: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1up6CGtIZb3vYun80_iUBiBka4AbwNyzFKbqD5LtfH54/viewform?usp=send_form
Conferences-Please be sure that you have signed up for a parent/teacher conference time on Monday, Oct. 12th.
- Extension of learning-Please check in your child's planner for any extra assignments for extending the learning from school. An extension for this week was to find words in at home reading that followed this week's spelling pattern. Another was to find sources of energy at home. Your child is encouraged to complete these assignments during the week.
- Reading Champs- Soon we will begin reading groups, and your child will be bringing home a Reading Champs bag with materials to practice at home. Testing information and reading levels will be shared with you at the October 12th conference.
- Star Student of the Week-We will soon begin having one student from each class as a star student of the week. Each student will have a turn. When it is your child's turn, you will receive a note of instructions for preparing a poster about your child.
- The Sparkle Store-is open most Fridays at 7:30 a.m. On Thursday evenings, students should count and put their sparkles in groups of 10 and choose a sparkle pass they'd like to "buy." Then Friday morning, the line at the Sparkle Store will go much faster!
- Sweaters-Ask your child is he/she gets cold during the school day. If so, send a sweater or light jacket to school with your child's name inside.
- Reminders-Please check your child's planner and green folder every night. In the planner, parents, not students, should record the minutes your child reads and initial it. Parents should empty the green folder and backpack every night.
- Beginning the day-It is important for your child to be in the classroom early to write assignments and unpack. Announcements are at 7:45, and we begin our right when they end. Thanks for your cooperation.
- Math-Our lessons are focusing on addition and subtraction. Each morning at our Morning Meeting we make fact families using numbers from our 10-frames. We are learning to draw and write equations to represent different ways to make the same numbers. For example: 1 + 7=8 and 2 + 6=8. We are also working on reading math stories and deciding how to answer the story questions.
- Language Arts/Social Studies-We are continuing discussing what it means to be a good citizen and learning about the Pledge of Allegiance Ask your child what Constitution Day is all about!
- Science-We are continuing our unit on sound and will start working on instruments soon for a "orchestra" performance for Mrs. Allen.
- Monday, October 5 "I Can Do It" parenting class at 11:00
- Tuesday, October 6 Fall Student Pictures
- Monday, October 12 Parent/Teacher Conferences (no school for students)