Special Edition XXL: October 2019
District Guide: Read by Third Grade
Designed especially for you! A Districts' Guide to Read by Third Grade.
This Guide is printed for you and is also available electronically at:
1. District Responsibilities and Resources
2. Parent Resources
5 Questions Superintendents Need to Ask:
2. What is our predicted number of students that might be identified for retention (D.T.)?
3. What is our Tier I supports for struggling readers? Tier II? Tier III?
4. How are we utilizing literacy coaching to support teachers/students?
5. What will our process be for exemptions? How will we communicate with parents? How will we want parents or teachers or school personnel to communicate the exemption? email? in writing? drop off at central office?
Reading by Third Grade: How Policymakers Can Foster Early Literacy by Nell Duke
Ready by Third Grade Resources
Read by Third Grade Document List (in Guide)
Document TEMPLATES for you to MODIFY:
This describes the good cause exemptions, portfolio requirements, alternative assessment.
Includes dates and requirements the district must meet.
Letter that must be sent home to parents after CEPI notification.
Form the parent fills out to request exemption.
Letter district sends to notify parents of promotion.
Letter district sends to notify parents of denial.
Information to include in the portfolio and exemption approval.
Poverty Matters Update
Day #2 went great! Your teams should know more about
Strategy #1: Building Relationships
Strategy #2: Decreasing Stress
along with a good background on poverty, neuroscience, action research and foundations.
Your team got:
Resources including video, slides and resources by email to assist their efforts as they plan to share with their staff
Your team should be working to decide:
How they will share the project with all staff
How they will implement Strategy #1: Building Relationships
How they will implement Strategy #2: Decreasing Stress
Thank you for the Superintendents that could attend!
Debrief * Thoughts * Suggestions
Career Quest a BIG HIT!
Genesee County's First Ever Career Quest
Wednesday, October 23rd
110 featured careers
50 special guests