The Trojan Times
St. Maria Goretti Catholic School June 2, 2019
Dear SMG Families and Friends,
It is hard to believe how quickly the school year has passed and come to an end. I would like to thank you for your faith, trust, and commitment to the mission of St. Maria Goretti Catholic School and for welcoming and supporting me as your principal this year. It is your belief in Catholic education that helps us to sustain our school. We understand the sacrifices each family makes to send their children to SMG, and we will continue to put your children first in everything we do.
This was a very busy year and as partners in your children's education, you have played a great role in making it a success! With your support, we have been able to enhance and add to our school offerings, programs, facilities, and curriculum resources. Some the year's successes include:
- Annual Fund Campaign (see below for details)
- Increased school visibility & presence in the community: Mayor Williams on campus to celebrate Read Across America Day; advertisements in SMG and surrounding parish bulletins; Arlington Today magazine; mailers; informational pamphlets showcasing school; participation in all diocesan school fairs; banners advertising events around school campus; participation in area fun runs (students and parents); new signage on front of school building
- Community building events: North Texas Giving Day Family Game Night event; Donuts with Dad and Muffins with Mom; Keeping Children Safe in Cyberspace Presentation; Kountry Karnival, Spaghetti Dinner, Dinner Dance; Buddy Family program; Stephen Breen BBQ Cook-Off; End-of-Year Picnic; School Open House events; Dads Volunteer Group
- Curriculum & Programming: Private School Interscholastic Association (PSIA) Academic Competition InauguralTeam; Music Learning Band program (grades 4-8) as an elective offered during the school day (huge increase in student participation); Nolan Science Fair; Diocesan History Fair; Robotics Competition; addition of Shurley English (grades 3-8), Delta/FOSS Science Modules (grades 3-5), and Rocket Math (all grades); leveled and differentiated math instruction; Increased number of days/week of foreign language (Spanish) instruction; student participation in essay and art contests; thirteen 7th Grade students named Duke TIP Scholars; Outdoor Learning Center and Garden (in process and ongoing)
- Facitilies/Security Improvements: Raptor Visitor Management System; New cafeteria/lunchroom tables (this summer); Outdoor Learning Center and Garden (in process and ongoing); formation of Dads Volunteer group to help with small school improvement projects
I am sure I missing something(s), and there is much more to come next year as we continue to grow and strenghten our programs.
Finally, I take this opportunity to congratulate all students of St. Maria Goretti Catholic School on a successful year! I wish you all a very happy, safe, and enjoyable summer. Please be sure to take time to talk, play, and pray together. I look forward to seeing you all in August. Those families who are not returning to our school will continue to be in our prayers as you make your way to new places. Know that you are always welcome here and will always be part of the SMG family.
St. Maria Goretti, Pray for Us!
Laura Behee, M.Ed.
2019-2020 Registration is Open
SMG School Office Summer Hours
The SMG School Office Summer Hours will be as follows:
- June 3rd - June 21st: Monday through Friday, 8AM - 1PM
- June 24th - July 5th: CLOSED
- July 8th - July 31st: 8AM - 2PM
- August 1st - August 9th: 8AM - 3:30PM (Closed August 7th for Diocesan In-Service)
- August 12th - 12:30PM- 7PM
- August 13th - 1st Day of School-Regular Office Hours 7:45AM - 3:45PM
School Supplies for 2019-2020 School Year
Even though this school year is not quite over, it's not too early to purchase school supplies for the 2019-2020 school year. For your convenience, we are once again working with School Supplies Company to provide parents an alternative to having to go to various stores to shop for school supplies. Online ordering is open now through July 4th @ 11:59PM. After that time, no additional orders will be accepted. All orders will be delivered to the school in August in time for the first day of school.
Please visit http://www.schoolsuppliesco.com/; click on "Order Now" and select St. Maria Goretti and the correct grade level(s) for the 2019-2020 school year.
Summer Reading Lists
The Summer Reading Lists/Requirements for each grade-level were emailed to SMG families on Friday evening and can be found by clicking the link below. The lists have also been posted on the school's website. Please email or call the front office if you have any questions. Happy Summer! Happy Reading!
To participate in athletics next school year (Junior High or High School), students will need a physical dated on or after June 1, 2019.
On June 1st, your student can receive a physical at Nolan Catholic High School in the Hartnett Arena for $25 from 9 AM – 12PM. There will be multiple doctors on hand in order to keep the line moving!
2018-2019 Annual Fund Results
This year, Saint Maria Goretti Catholic School completed its 64th year as a Catholic school founded by The Sisters of St. Mary Namur in 1954. Today, SMG is a school that aims to continue building on its strong foundation by providing academic rigor and forming students who know their Catholic faith, and recognize and value Truth, Beauty, and Goodness in the world around them.
Your generosity at events that support the Annual Fund allow us to continue the traditions already in place, create new programs, and build for the future. The goal of the 2018-2019 Anuual Fund was $100,000. Through your generous support and attendance at events that support the Annual Fund, we not only met our goal, but went above and beyond for a grand total of $140,145.00 !!
Funds from this year's 2018-2019 Annual Fund helped to supported the tuition assistance program; purchase additional and/or new curriculum resources, including the planning and future development of an Outdoor Learning Center; update and enhance security equipment in the school; update or add new facility equipment; and provide additional professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
By supporting the Saint Maria Goretti Catholic School Annual Fund, you play a vital role in furthering our mission of developing Academic Excellence, Spiritual Formation, and Compassionate Service to others in each of our students. Your donations made a difference in the lives of every SMG student, every day! Thank you!!
Outdoor Learning Center Anonymous Matching Donation
A huge Thank you to a very generous, anonymous donor who matched up to $2500, any funds donated between March 1 and April 30, 2019 for the planning and future development of our Outdoor Learning Center. Your support of this project and of the school is very much appreciated and will go a long way toward helping us make the OLC a reality for our students. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Kountry Karnival 2019 T-Shirts
Kountry Karnival 2019 t-shirts will be sold this year through an online store format like we have offered this year to purchase all SMG Spirit wear. The KK t-shirt store will be open Monday, June 3rd through Sunday, June 16th, and the store link will be emailed to families and posted on the school website and FB page when it becomes available sometime tomorrow. Orders can either be picked up at the school office or mailed directly to you for a small shipping fee. Please check the school summer hours (see above), and note that in addition to shortened hours, the school will be closed from June 24-July 5, 2019.
Required Training for Volunteers
Per the Fort Worth Diocese, all school parents who wish to volunteer in any capacity in any diocesan school must attend the new VIRTUS training called "Protecting God's Children for Adults", by August 2019, regardless of when your previous Sate Environment training will expire.
The Safe Environment program has changed to a new class offered by the VIRTUS company. All new training and renewal training must be completed in person. Online renewals are no longer offered. Please refer to the list of upcoming sessions. It would be a good idea to register for a session as soon as possible since they will fill up quickly.
You must go online to https://fwdioc.org/training-sessions and create an account through VIRTUS, and register for one of the sessions prior to attending. If you are on the VIRTUS website and find a session at another parish or school that works better for your schedule, you may attend that instead. Be sure to still select Saint Maria Goretti Catholic School as one of your volunteer locations so that we will know you have attended. If you have any questions or need help getting registered, please call Mrs. Malloy in the school office at 817-275-5081. We appreciate the time you give to volunteer at our school!
Calling All Dads, Grandfathers, Uncles.....
St. Maria Goretti Catholic School is looking to organize a Dads group to assist us in completing some minor school/facility improvements and repairs over the summer and as needed throughout the school year. No expertise or experience necessary, just a willingness to help and a desire to develop friendships with other men who wish to support the school in this capacity.
- Painting – Inside and Outside (windows)
- Repair/replace ceiling tiles, etc.
- Repair trophy case doors
- Remove and discard old, unused furniture, textbooks, etc.
- Build movable Lost and Found rack
- Other repairs as identified
All dads (grandfathers, uncles, etc.) are welcome to join! Please contact Phil Brady, Maintenance Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. or call (817)275-5081 ext. 310.
Mills Uniform Summer Sale
Don't Miss Mills Uniform's Summer Sale June 8-22, 2019! Please note a change in the uniform requirement for next year: The red or blue (depending on grade-level) cardigan sweater is Required for Dress Uniform for all students K-8. Also, please be sure to purchase the uniform required shoes, as miscellaneous tennis shoes or shoes with white or colored soles or lettering are not part of the uniform.
SMEED Needs Your Donations!
- Coloring books
- Pens, pencils, crayons, markers
- Drawing paper
- Boxed games
- Playing cards
- Picture books
- Outside equipment: jump ropes, balls, sidewalk chalk, etc.
JOIN US FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL AT SMG
JOIN US FOR VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL AT SMG VBS Adult Volunteers Needed - Contact Mandi Meurer: email@example.com
Volunteers Earn Spirit Hours for 2019-2020 School Year
Graduating kindergarten students entertained the audience with four songs: Time to Graduation, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Who Do We Appreciate, and Friends Forever. As students crossed the stage to receive their diploma and shake hands with Father Jim and Mrs. Behee, Kindergarten teachers, Mrs. Pfaff and Mrs. Bara, shared the student's favorite book, song, class station, memory, and what they wanted to be when they grow up. Children change, grow and develop so much during these early years, so the ceremony was a great way of celebrating an important milestone in their life.
A tear or two were shed as Mrs. Bara and Mrs. Pfaff bid a fond farewell to the graduates. In a surprise announcement, Father Jim was awarded an honorary kindergarten diploma because it was recently learned that kindergarten classes were not offered when he was a youngster. He was beaming as much as the kindergarten students!
2018-2019 Award Ceremony
First through seventh grade students attended an awards ceremony following our last Mass of the school year Wednesday. Students were awarded certificates for academic excellence, perfect attendance, virtues, outstanding performance in a specials classes, and the Duke TIP achievement.
The origin of the term 'field day' comes from the military and refers to maneuvers that took place in a field, but by the 1800s, the phrase was used to refer to any event that happened in a field, ranging from a hunt to a dance to a picnic to a scientific expedition.
PE Teacher, Mrs. Paladini outdid herself again this year by coordinating another epic Field Day. Pre-K through seventh grade enjoyed a fun-filled morning of snow cones, water events, tug of wars, relays, egg toss, and more. Participants enjoyed treats sponsored by room parents and volunteers.
Box Tops for Education
All SMG Alumni, we want to hear from you and share any news you have with the rest of the Trojan Community! Please send us your address, phone number, and email address so that we may keep in touch. As well, if you have news and information that you would like to share with the SMG Community, we would like that as well! Please send your information to Abbey Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a Trojan--Always a Trojan!
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
- Mills Uniform Sale
- 19th Annual Children's Summer Choir Camp
- SMG Vacation Bible School
- Deadline to Order 2019-2020 SMG School Supplies
- Meet the Teacher event 4-7PM SMG School
- 1st Day of School-Early Dismissal at 12:10PM
- First full-day of school
- 8:00AM Mass-Dress Uniform required
- Picture Day
- 10:00AM Mass-Holy Day of Obligation-Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary-Dress Uniform required
- 50th Anniversary of Diocese of Fort Worth Celebration at FW Convention Center; more info and details to come
- Back to School Night: Pre-K - 3rd grade
- Back to School Night: 4th - 8th grade