Welcome to 8th Grade Social Studies
Miss Trentman (Team Eagles) Room 102
In the 8th grade, students study early American History from 1492-1875. There are seven units in our school year which span from exploration and colonization to Reconstruction after the Civil War. First semester we will cover the first three units and second semester we will cover the final four units.
Students can expect nightly homework in the form of learning targets. Learning targets are questions tethered to specific learning goals. They are designed to ensure students are mastering content. Students can also expect one outside, online assignment per month. These assignments are designed to prepare students for the required online course in high schoool. Assessments will be in the form of essays, quizzes, tests, and projects.
One:to:One Technology Resources Used in Social Studies:
- OneNote Notebooks - used for student notes, viewing of teacher notes, and in-class activities
- Google Classroom - used to assign work to students and for students to turn work in
- Google Drive - used to organize and store student work
- BrightSpace - learning respository system that used daily in class and should be the location that students check first when they miss class
These are the daily applications we will employ, but we will be using many avenues of technology to support our learning throughout this school year.
- Practice self-advocacy
- Communicate effectively
- Demonstrate respect
- Display a positive attitude
- Be prepared for learning
Miss Trentman's Beliefs:
- All students can learn
- Students learn in different ways
- Errors are inherent in the learning process
- Learning should be fun
About Miss Trentman
I am a Park Hill School District Alumni and proud of it. I was very happy to return to work in this school district after graduating from the Univeristy of Missouri in 2012 with a Bachelor's Degree in Secondary Social Studies Education. I am currently pursuing my Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Central Missouri. This is my fourth year teaching at Lakeview Middle School. I recently got married to another PHSD Alumni and we live in Kansas City. My hobbies are traveling, reading, cheering on all my favorite sports teams and hanging out with friends and family.