The Weekly Buzz
A Weekly Newsletter from Corner Middle School
VOLUME 4, NUMBER 14: August 14, 2022
Message from the Principal . . .
I hope that the first week of school was a great one for our students, their families, and our teachers and staff! It was certainly a busy first week with a teacher work day, classes, Back-to-School Night, and the Night of Champions with the Community Park and Corner High School. As I met students throughout the week, I asked, "On a scale of 1 to 10, how was your first week of school?" I heard a lot of 8.5s, several 9s and 10s, a couple of 6s, but nothing below that. I'll count that as a win.
We always spend the first several days building relationships, growing our teams, reviewing procedures, and getting used to schedules, lockers, classrooms, and bus/car line. All-in-all, I rank the start to the 2022-2023 high. Not a perfect start, but a great one at that!
Our administration, faculty, and staff have enjoyed getting to know those students who are new to our camping and strengthening the bonds with those whom we already know. This week, we kick off our academic work, our PBIS programs, and our full advisory program. I truly look forward to what lies ahead for our school this year!
Thank you for your continued support of our students at Corner Middle School! Have a great week!
School Picture Days Scheduled for this Week
2022-2023 CMS Robotics Team Tryouts Announced
The Corner Middle School Robotics Team coaches -- Jennifer Harris and Anita Wiley -- have announced the tryout dates for those interested in being part of the squad. Tryout dates are as follows:
7th and 8th grades - Monday, August 22, 2022
5th and 6th grades - Tuesday, August 23, 2022
Tryouts will last until 4:15 PM – please be on time to pick up your student. Those that make the team will be notified by August 26th.
The team will be selected this year using teacher recommendations, student application, and an in-person tryout. Students will stay after school for tryouts, but only if they have turned in their application by the deadline. Students must submit a completed application to Mrs. Harris or Mrs. Wiley by 3:00 PM on Friday, August 19, 2022.-
Packets are attached below, or students may pick them up in the library this week. We look forward to another great year of CMS Robotics!
Information from Our School Nurse
- The Health Heroes flu clinic for NON-PEEHIP kids only has been scheduled for schools in our feeder pattern. Please see the attachment below for details.
- Please review the attached documentation on health plans and medication at school.
- Also attached below are over-the-counter medicine authorization forms and prescription medication forms should parents need them.
- In addition, we have attached the district's medicine policy updates and "When Is It Too Sick for Your Child to Come to School."
Please feel free to call Nurse Comer at the school at 205-379-3230 if you have any questions. We hope everyone has a healthy school year!
Athletic Updates for August
Corner Middle School head baseball coach, Trevor Chandler, has announced baseball tryouts for the 2023 season. They will be held Saturday, August 20th at Corner High School following the varsity tryouts. They will begin at 3:00 and end at 5:00. These tryouts are for any 7th or 8th grade boy interested in playing baseball. All players trying out must have an up-to-date physical. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Chandler at email@example.com.
CMS Calendar for the Week of August 15, 2022 - August 21, 2022
Monday, August 15, 2022
- iReady BOY Diagnostic Window Opens (Math)
Tuesday, August 16, 2022
- iReady BOY Diagnostic (Math)
- AMSTI Coaching Visit to CMS
- 7th and 8th Grade PST
- Fall Picture Day
- Principal/Math Coach Meeting 12:30
- CMS Beginning/Intermediate Band Parent Meeting in Band Room 6:00
- CMS Concert Band Parent Meeting in Band Room 7:30
Wednesday, August 17, 2022
- Principal Pipeline Mentor Meeting 7:30
- iReady BOY Diagnostics (Math)
- Peer Helpers Meet with Mr. Manning at 2:30
- PLA (Mandatory Trainings)
Thursday, August 18, 2022
- 5th and 6th Grade PST
- iReady BOY Diagnostic (Reading)
- CHS Volleyball (V/JV) at Oneonta (with St. Clair County)
- CHS Football Jamboree at Southeastern High School 7:00
Friday, August 19, 2022
- Robotics Applications Due
- iReady BOY Diagnostic (Reading)
Saturday, August 20, 2022
- CHS and CMS Baseball Tryouts at Corner High School
- CHS JV Volleyball at Decatur Tournament
- CHS Varsity Volleyball at Central Tuscaloosa High School Tournament
- Enjoy Your Day Doing Something for Yourself, with Family and Friends, at Home . . . or Do Nothing at All!
Sunday, August 21, 2022
- Enjoy Your Day Worshiping, Relaxing, and/or Having Fun with Family and Friends!
Looking Ahead to Important School Dates
In order to assist you with your planning, please make note of the following dates. Remember, however, dates for all events/activities are subject to change due to inclement weather, COVID-19 restrictions, or other events which may force cancellation or re-scheduling.
Tuesday, August 23, 2022 5th – 8th Grade PST (during Prep Period)
Tuesday, August 23, 2022 Back-to-School Dance 5:30-7:30
Thursday, August 25, 2022 5th and 6th Grade Data Meeting
Thursday, August 25, 2022 Jefcoed Board Meeting 10:00
Thursday, August 25, 2022 CMS Volleyball @ Bragg with Pleasant Grove
Thursday, August 25, 2022 CMS Connects – Session #1
Friday, August 26, 2022 CHS Football at St. Clair County 7:00
Saturday, August 27, 2022 CMS Volleyball at Leeds Tournament
Saturday, August 27, 2022 Stephen F. Austin vs. Jacksonville State in Montgomery
Monday, August 29, 2022 CMS Volleyball at Oak Grove
Monday, August 29, 2022 Odenville at CMS Football 5:00
Monday, August 29, 2022 Odenville at JV Football 7:00
Tuesday, August 30, 2022 Attendance Recognition
Tuesday, August 30, 2022 7th and 8th Grade Data Meeting
Tuesday, August 30, 2022 Nominate August Students of the Month
Tuesday, August 30, 2022 CMS Band Instrument Testing 4:00-7:00
Wednesday, August 31, 2022 PBIS Drawing #1
Wednesday, August 31, 2022 CILT Meeting
Wednesday, August 31, 2022 McAdory/P.Grove at CMS Volleyball
Corner Middle School
Corner Middle School is committed to empowering our students as they build a foundation for college, career, and community success in a nurturing environment.
Our vision at Corner Middle School is to ensure our students are academically, emotionally, and socially prepared for challenges they may encounter in the next phases of their lives.
Corner Middle School believes we will accomplish our Mission and Vision in serving our community of learners by:
- Loving, encouraging, and inspiring our students and each other in our daily interactions.
- Utilizing highly-effective instruction and a challenging curriculum.
- Meeting the needs of diverse learners in order to prepare them for college and entry into a career pathway.
- Partnering with the community.
- Cultivating student leaders.
- Integrating technology into all areas of learning.