May Supervisor's Corner
South Harrison Township Elementary School 2016
We are happy to report the following successes for the month of May:
- Congratulations to Mrs. Donofrio! She has been accepted to participate in the New Jersey Science Teachers Association's (NJSTA) Maitland P. Simmons Memorial Award 2016 Summer Institute, “Preparing Elementary Teachers to Implement NGSS.” The Institute will be held July 18 – July 22, 2016 at Rowan University in Glassboro.
- Congratulations to Mrs. LaMalfa who has completed the 4 graduate courses offered in the scholarship opportunity from Rowan University earning her credits towards a certificate of Graduate Studies in Middle School Mathematics.
- Congratulations to Ms. Conroy on the completion of her first year as an Orton Gillingham scholar. Ms. Conroy is a scholarhip recipient through Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Orton Gillilngham Program which is nationally accredited through the International Multisensory Structured Language Education Council (IMSLEC).
- Congratulations to Ms. Lourie (the new Mrs. Massing) who was married at the end of April.
- Congratulations to Mrs. Manno on the birth of her daughter Riley Quinn Manno and congratulations to Mrs. Eschenbach on the birth of her daughter Paisley Ann Eschenbach.
- Belated congratulations to Mr. Inzinna and all of the students and volunteers who put so much work into the recent art show. It was a wonderful evening for all involved. Mr. Inzinna reports he is mid way through his masters in Applied Technology in Education so we offer congratulations to him on achieving that milestone.
- Welcome to Ms. Jennifer Campbell who will be working with the students (and Mrs. Conroy) in Mrs. Eschenbach class for the remainder of the school year.
- The curriculum team and Mrs. Mesmer would like to thank all teaching staff who were so forthcoming with the most recent summative evaluation meetings. We were happy to meet with each and every one of you and pay witness to all of the hard work and success experienced with students throughout this year.
In May, we will continue to work on the MCAs under the guidance of Mr. Rosenheim. This month, we will continue revision work with ELA Unit 5. Meetings with Grade Level Teams (GLT) will continue as well as discussions in Professional Learning Teams (PLTs).
Katie, Rachael, Robert, Stefanie, Megan, and Trisha
Teacher Appreciation Week 2016
Teacher Appreciation Week reminds us all to thank all of our teachers as well as those in supportive roles for all that you do on behalf of our students. There is nothing more important happening in this building than what happens in your classrooms.
On behalf of the curriculum and instruction team and administration, thank you to all of our teachers, child study team members, and para-professionals for all of your hard work and for your dedication to students. Your substantial efforts to make South Harrison a special place and prepare students for success beyond our walls is sincerely appreciated. Please enjoy the treats and surprises throughout the week as a small token of our appreciation for all that you do!
May Professional Development
May 11th PD Session: This month this PD session will serve as the May Faculty meeting.
May 18th: Originally a PLT date- Mrs. Mesmer and Ms. Anderson will meet with staff to review the materials ordering process for this year.the folks form IT are tentatively sheduled to visit to give us an update and any additional time remaining will be used by staff to continue work on class sorting cards.
May 27th: In-Service
We are planning this month's in-service and plan to e-mail staff an agenda before it occurs. Please let your Instructional supervisor know by Friday, May 13th if you intend to use flex hours for the May 27th and June 22nd in-service. The numbers and make-up of staff that will be present on those days will affect the content of the workshops offered. We currently have a tentative schedule for May 27th as follows:
MORNING: The morning PD will feature a Workshop Menu - Staff will pick 1 topic per session offered. Tentative topics for the morning include:
- F & P online- Webinar Update
- Assessment 3 or 4 - online
- ELA PARCC
- Co-teaching Partnerships
- Balanced Literacy- Guided Writing
- “Walk a Mile in my Shoes- Disability Awareness Training, "
- Guided Math
- COACH Pilot Observation Presentation
- 2016-17 PD Calendar Review
AFTERNOON : All sessions are optional. Staff that choose not to attend an optional session will work on curriculum revisions.
- Assessment lab & F & P - Debrief
- Fourth Grade SBRC
- Online grade book
All information related to flex Hours, can be found on the South Harrison webpage by going to For Staff - Professional Development - and Flex Hours.
- Please note all flex hour reflection forms should be submitted within five days of a workshop.
- Please inform your Instructional Supervisor if you will be utilizing flex hours for the May and June in-service. This information will assist as we plan for these days.
- Please note: Teachers on a CAP are ineligible for flex hours and starting September 2016, new teachers to the district will be ineligible for flex hours in year one.
The focus for April PLT discussion include the following:
- MCA Data and My Practice: Continue to examine your MCAs in relation to where your students are currently performing and where you expect them to perform at the next MCA.
- The use of the Standards Based Gradebook and any questions or issues that need to be resolved as we plan to make the parent portal "live" for the lower grades in September 2016.
Use of Norms to guide discussions: Continue to infuse your established norms into your PLT discussions
- Preparing for the next MCA: Continue to examine your MCAs in relation to where your students are currently performing and where you expect them to perform at the next CSA.
- Curricular revisions: As you progress through the year and find units of instruction in need of improvement, please continue to make any needed revisions (in red) to curriculum documents that are located on the "L" drive.
- Grade Ranges: Reflect on/discuss any recommended adjustments to current grade ranges
If you have an idea or area of interest you would like to explore and earn flex hours, please see Ms. Anderson.
Job Embedded PD
Teachers have the option of using GLT and PLT to explore topics with their team such as those described above. There are two teacher resources available to work with staff during the school day this year:
ELA: If the topic is ELA related please consider asking Mrs. Travaglini to work with you and can offer and support ELA related topics in your classroom in addition to supporting the implantation of "new" ELA programs material into the classroom.
Digital Literacy: Mrs.Bram is available to work with teachers (and students) and can assist teachers in areas pertaining to digital literacy. Mrs. Bram can also offer teachers a training or a refresher on commonly used programs such as Powerpoint and Word. Please sign up for these weekly periods in Mrs. Bram schedule using the online reservation sign-up page, which will detail the days and periods Mrs.Bram is available to work with you!
2016 Summer Academy:
Detailed information about grading procedures for the 2015-16 school year was e-mailed to teachers before the winter recess and is also on the district "L" drive in the Curriculum 000 folder.
By mid-trimester, all teachers online gradebooks were checked and staff were reminded of the grade range entries expected by mid-trimester. As a friendly reminder, please plan appropriately for student assessment to ensure you are staying within your approved grading ranges as you plan. Please update your grade book in a timely manner to promote effective communication with stakeholders.
Highlights of the procedures described in the document include:
- A description of the grade weight and ranges for grade K-6 for classroom, department and special area teachers.
- An outline of the expectations for grade book use for teachers who report using standards based grades
Grade K-3 staff are reminded that all grade K-3 teachers (including special areas) are required to use the online grade book for Trimester III. Any staff member needing assistance in the use of grade book or have questions about grading procedures please contact the Elementary Instructional, Supervisor, Rachael Anderson, at firstname.lastname@example.org
2016 PARCC Testing
2016 PARCC testing officially commences on Monday, May 2nd at South Harrison Township Elementary School. The official South Harrison PARCC testing window is below.
South Harrison Township Elementary School
• ELA (3, 4, 5, 6) and Mathematics (3, 4, 5, 6): May 2nd – May 10th
• Testing will last between 80 and 110 minutes each day.
• For grades 3-5, the ELA portion is comprised of 3 units and the mathematics portion is comprised of 4 units.
• For grade 6, the ELA portion is comprised of 3 units and the mathematics portion is comprised of 3 units.
*PLEASE NOTE: All make-up testing will occur after the regular administration has concluded.
PARCC Testing Resources:
For your records, we will posted the South Harrison 2016 PARCC Faculty Guide (including testing calendar, student testing groups and locations, step-by-step directions, PARCC FAQs, and the 2016 District Testing Security Plan) and the 2016 PARCC Test Administrator Training presentation on the shared "L" drive. As testing begins, we believe it is helpful for the entire staff to have access to all of these resources.
As always, thank you for your help and cooperation! Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Robert Rosenheim.
CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTION TEAM MEMBERS
Patricia Calandro, Chief Academic Officer
Rachael Anderson, Elementary Supervisor K-5
Katie Fransko, Special Education Supervisor PK-12
Stefanie Fox-Manno, Humanities Supervisor 6-12
Robert Rosenheim, Data/Assessment Supervisor K-12
Megan Bruder, STEM Supervisor 6-12
Gail Bram, Curriculum Lead K-3 and Special Areas
Amanda Grabas, Curriculum Lead 4-6 and Special Education
*Please see your curriculum lead with any requests for PD, resources, or other questions/concerns regarding curriculum and instruction