Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Heartfelt Thanks & Shout Outs
Thank you so much, Jeanine Brown for assisting with math this week. We appreciate your time! I also sincerely appreciate the donation of two MUCH sought-after Star Wars books to our library from the Brown family. Very thoughtful contribution! Thank you!
Busy, Busy Week Ahead!
Our testing days are: Monday, Tuesday and Friday next week. Please encourage your kiddos to eat a healthy breakfast and get a good night's sleep for test days!
Don’t forget to come see Westlake’s Got Talent performing on the NP3 stage, February 12th, at 6:00pm!
Spirit Day on Friday, Feb. 12th!
This is a twin day (dress like your friend) and a color day. Here are the guidelines:
1) Fourth Graders are asked to wear blue.
2) Clothes must be free of inappropriate wording and images
3) All clothing must fit properly. Pants around the natural waist, tops completely covering the torso area
4) All shirts must have sleeves, no sleeveless shirts.
5) All clothing must be free of rips and tears
My Princess and Me Dance
English Language Arts
- Students will be introduced to five new Greek & Latin Roots during Unit 5 this week. Practice Packets will be due on Friday.
- Students will be working on Spelling City List #8 this week. Students should complete all activities by Friday in preparation for the spelling test that will be given that day in class.
- Students will continue working on their opinion essay, "Are zoos good or bad?"
- Students continue with the second week literature circle discussions. This week they finish the book they selected for the first round. Literature Circles meet on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. On these days students are expected to come prepared with book in hand, having completed the assigned reading and recorded three questions for discussion with their groups. On Friday they will take AR quizzes on the books read and put in book requests for the next round.
- Students will be introduced to four new Depth and Complexity icons next week to use in literature circle discussions: Multiple Perspectives, Unanswered Questions, Ethics and Patterns.
- Students are doing well with our study of using operations with fractions. It is expected that the chapter test will be on Wednesday, 2/10. IXL strands that correlate to this unit of study include: R.1-R.12 + T.1-T.10.
We continue investigating how natural processes shape the surface of the earth and the ensuing effect on humans. Some of the essential questions that will be explored next week include: How can we see evidence of changes in the earth over time? What story of the earth can rocks and fossils tell us? What slow and fast processes change the earth's surface? How are humans affected by these processes?
Check out Ms. Jackson's website to see what's currently happening in art.
Message from Girls on the Run Coordinators
We are very excited to announce that registration is open for the Spring 2016 season of Girls on the Run. Westlake will once again have a team this season and we can’t wait to get started.
The Mission of Girls on the Run is as follows: “We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.”
The girls that participate will meet twice a week to do activities and to start training to complete a 5K right here in Natomas. Practices begin on February 22nd and will be at the Del Paso Campus from 4:30-6:00pm.
Registration is open until February 19th. The registration is $165 and scholarships are available for qualifying families. For more information about this program, please go to www.gotrsac.org or contact one of the coaches:
We hope to see you out there!
- February 6: My Princess and Me Dance at 6 p.m.
- February 8, 9, 12: NWEA Testing for Chastain-ians
- February 12: Talent Show in NP3 Gym
- February 12: Spirit Day! Dress in blue! Dress like a friend!
- February 15-19: Presidents' Week Break
- March 3 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. on Del Paso Campus: Parents Go to School Night
- March 4: End of Trimester Accelerated Reader Goal Due
- March 11: End of 2nd Trimester
- March 16-18: Parent Teacher Conferences (Early dismissal)
- March 21-April 1: Spring Break