Elementary Update, December 6th
American International School of Egypt - West Campus
Cohort A is on campus, Cohort B is online
Parent strategy of the week: Parental Aspirations, Encouragement, and Expectations
In John Hattie’s meta-analysis he concluded that parental aspirations and expectations for children's educational achievement has a very strong relationship with student achievement (Hattie, 2009).
Look for opportunities to talk to your child about schoolwork - children enjoy sharing what they are learning. Try to find topics you are both interested in, so it is more of a conversation than an interrogation.
Ask your child:
- What are your aspirations (academically and in life)?
- What are your plans for after high school? It’s never too early to ask.
- What are some things I need to start doing, stop doing, or continue doing to support you?
- What are you working on in school?
- What are 3 things you learned today?
- Can you show me your assignments?
Ask your child’s teacher(s) / counselors:
- What are the areas of interest or courses that my child seems to shine / excel in?
- What courses or extra-curricular activities do you recommend my child get involved in that support their academic, personal, or life goals and aspirations?
- Where can my child and I research opportunities for their future such as colleges and careers?
- Is there anything you suggest I start doing, stop doing, or continue doing to support my child’s present and future success?
- Do I know my child’s goals and aspirations?
- Am I holding my child accountable for their academic, personal, and life success?
- Am I creating a home life that is conducive to my child’s academic, personal, and life success?
- Am I role modeling the attitudes and behaviors that reinforce my child’s academic, personal, and life success?
- Am I maintaining ongoing communication/engagement with my child’s school, teacher(s), and counselor?
- Is there anything I need to start doing, stop doing, or continue doing to support my child’s present and future success?
Dismissal Safety Reminders
If you have been given a dismissal card with your child's name on it, please bring it with you at dismissal time to speed up the process.
Reminder of Dismissal Times:
Dismiss at 2:30pm from Gate 2
Dismiss at 2:30pm from Gate 1
KG1 & KG2
Dismiss at 2:40pm from Gate 3
Dismiss at 2:50pm from Gate 2
Dismiss at 2:50pm from Gate 1 or 2
Dismiss at 2:50pm from Gate 1
CHANGE OF TRANSPORTATION PROCEDURE
Kindly note that you are responsible for notifying our transportation department no later than 1:30 PM of all changes involving students riding a car or riding the bus. Please contact the transportation department by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email Transportation Manager; Mr. Mohamed Abbas, (email@example.com) or by phone (02 38540670) - (02 38540671) . From 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
* Busses will leave at 03:05.
Changes to riding the school bus and cars at end of school day:
Such messages need to be communicated to our transportation department no later than 1:30 p.m. (by email and with student ID number).
If parents call after 1:30 p.m., the information cannot be relayed in a timely manner to their child’s teacher, potentially creating a difficult situation.
Leaving School early:
Parents need to contact: (No later than 12:00 PM)
Parents who desire their child/children to be dismissed early, for medical reasons or for an urgent appointment, are required to send an email explaining the reason and the time for early dismissal.
Please make sure you send an email before noon (before 12:00).
The student is to be checked out from the main gate area by the parent or parent designated adult. We also ask you to designate a time that does not disrupt a lesson. Please note, your child will not be released from their class until you arrive at school, so please plan to arrive in plenty of time.
Where possible, please plan any appointments during the weekend or during your child’s holidays, unless it is urgent as we aim to maximize students’ learning in school.
- • Elementary Early Dismissal Office: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 02-38540649
- • Middle School : email@example.com Ms. Reham Sherif (Middle School Administrative Assistant) in all cases by email.
- • High School : firstname.lastname@example.org; Ms. Inas Shehata (Secondary Administrative Assistant) in all cases by email.
Please complete the correct permissions for your children to leave with someone other than their parents. This includes drivers, nannies, aunts, etc.. We will not allow children to leave with someone we don't have permission from you to allow.
The form has been emailed to you previously. A hard copy from the form should be handed to the security with a hard copy of ID.
**(Even if you already submitted the document last year, you need to fill it again). **
Masks ARE required, make sure your child has them on when they arrive at school and they should have at least one extra one with them. Please also wear one when you arrive to collect your child.
Please send either a lunch or lunch money with your children. We will not be providing free lunches. You can add money to your children's lunch card from 9-11 every day.
A reminder that we cannot deliver items to your child during the day, so please make sure they have everything when them when they arrive on campus.