We Are Tamanend Together!
October 28, 2022
Help Tamanend Honor Veterans
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Halloween Costume Contest--Monday, October 31
8th Grade Revolutionary Life Day--Monday, October 31
Early Dismissal--Monday, October 31
End of First Marking Period / Early Dismissal--Friday, November 4
Red Cross Blood Drive--Friday, November 4 from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm
First Marking Period Report Cards Posted on Portal--Friday, November 11
Tamanend Veterans Day Assembly--Friday, November 11
Middle Bucks Institute of Technology (MBIT) Open House--Thursday, December 1
Monday, October 31
- Early Dismissal-No Contests
Tuesday, November 1
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball Tryouts (2:45-4:30)
Wednesday, November 2
- 8th Grade Football vs. Holland (Home; 3:15)
Thursday, November 3
- 7th Grade Football vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball Tryouts (2:45-4:30)
Friday, November 4
- Early Dismissal-No Contests
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball Tryouts (11:00-12:30)
- Family ID opened for Winter sports registration on October 1st. This includes girls basketball, wrestling, and boys basketball. All 7th and 8th Grade students interested in playing a Winter sport for Tamanend this year must be registered on the Family ID web site. Please click HERE for detailed information, deadlines, and requirements.
- The deadline for GIRLS BASKETBALL registration on Family ID is 8:00am on Thursday, October 27th. The deadline for WRESTLING registration is 8:00am on Thursday, November 10th, and the deadline for BOYS BASKETBALL registration is 8:00am on Thursday, January 5th. If your child is not registered by those times, you will not receive important concussion information that will only be sent to those who are registered.
- All student-athletes must have completed PIAA physicals (if playing their first sport of the school year) OR PIAA Recertification (if they played a Fall sport) uploaded to Family ID prior to the start of the Winter sports season. The PIAA physical forms can be found HERE. The PIAA Recertification form can be found HERE. Additional items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page.
- Tryouts/Practices will begin on the following dates:
- Girls Basketball: November 1st
- Wrestling: November 15th
- Boys Basketball: January 9th
- Tamanend’s wrestling programs combines with Unami for the Winter season. There will be a parent meeting at 7:00pm on Wednesday, November 9th in Unami’s cafeteria. Information can be found HERE. From 9:00am-1:00pm on November 12th, a Wrestling Boot Camp Event will be held at Unami. Contact Coach Dan McAuley (DMCAULEY@CBSD.ORG) if you have any questions.
- Make your Thanksgiving easier this year. Please let the CB South wrestling team take the worry about your dessert off the to do list by choosing your favorite pie(s). See flyer below and pass around. Thanks in advance!
· Please see below for CB South ice hockey information.
· If you and would like to receive immediate updates on game schedules, cancellations, etc., visit Tamanend Athletics web page and become a “fan” to get alerts for your child’s team.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Family ID opened for Winter Sports registration on October 1 and CLOSE November 11. All paperwork must be uploaded onto Family ID. Central Bucks South High School (cbsathletics.com)
- All students attending games at CB South from now on must present their student ID when purchasing tickets/entering gates. Students will not be sold tickets or allowed inside the gates without their IDs.
- Boys tennis will host open hitting practice on Thursday 10/27/22 from 2:45-4:15 pm at the CB South tennis courts.
- CB South boys basketball open gyms are Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:30-9:00 until November 17 at CB South.
- Voluntary workouts for CB South Softball started on Sept. 20th. More information can be found on their Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Please see below for CB South ice hockey information.
Reminder--A Message For Fans Attending CB South Athletic Contests
We hope that everyone will continue to support our athletic teams during the fall season. CB South prides itself on good sportsmanship on the part of players and fans alike. Please keep the following in mind as you cheer for our teams this season:
- Middle school aged students must be accompanied by a parent.
- The use of profanity and vulgarity is unacceptable at athletic events. Please do not engage in inappropriate or demeaning chants during games. Students who do not comply with this expectation will be ejected from the games and will face disciplinary consequences. Let’s focus on supporting our team, not degrading the opposing school.
- Entering/Rushing the athletes’ area of play is prohibited and dangerous to security, teachers, spectators, and the athletes.
- Students are not permitted to bring purses, draw string bags, backpacks, food, or beverages to any athletic event in the Fall season.
- Students are prohibited from trespassing on the property of any school in the Central Bucks School District or on any property in any other school district. Damaging school property or engaging in any other activity that inconveniences the other school’s staff is strictly prohibited and will be considered vandalism, resulting in disciplinary and legal consequences. Please do not jeopardize your good standing by engaging in this type of unacceptable behavior.
- All Central Bucks School District and Central Bucks High School South’s polices apply to students at athletic events. Please be advised that coming to an athletic event under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance is not only extremely dangerous, but also violates School Board Policy 227. If a student chooses to attend a CB South athletic event while under the influence, law enforcement will be notified and a 5-day suspension will be imposed.
CB South’s Administration respectfully requests that parents monitor their child’s whereabouts and actions before athletic events at CB South. Please be aware of your child’s plans before the event, how they will safely get to the event, and how they will safely arrive home from the event.
We hope that you continue to show your enthusiasm and school spirit as we enter the fall athletic season. The Faculty and Administration at CB South has always considered your ability to support our teams in a positive and respectful manner as one of our key points of pride. Please join your classmates in continuing this proud tradition.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Student Council Hosts Pumpkin Decorating Contest
For the first time in years, the Student Council will be hosting a pumpkin decorating contest! Students who attended Jamison Elementary School students may remember this event, and we are very excited to be bringing it to Tamanend this year. Those who participate in the contest will decorate their pumpkin based on a theme and likeness of their choice at home and bring it to school to compete in the contest! Students may collaborate with their friends if they would like to. If you are interested in signing up for this event, please sign up and review the rules of the contest here: 2022 Pumpkin Decorating Contest Sign-Up Sheet (office.com). DUE DATES: Please bring in your pumpkin on either Friday, October 28th or Monday, October 31st by 7:10am.
Reminder--Halloween Costume Contest is Monday, October 31
- Most Athletic
- Most Elegant
- Most Original
- Best TV/Movie Character
- Best Group
Reminder--Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club Trick or Treat Fundraiser
Please help the Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club support the national UNICEF Trick or Treat fundraiser. Your donations will help UNICEF deliver healthcare and immunizations, safe water and sanitation, nutrition, education and emergency relief to children where and when they need it most. Scan the QR code and make your donation today.
Reminder--Tamanend Coffeehouse is Friday, November 11
Calling all singers, instrumentalists, comedians, poets, actors, and other performers: The Tamanend Coffeehouse may be just the place for you showcase your talents. Tamanend’s Annual Coffeehouse is coming up in a few weeks. On Friday, November 11th, Tamanend performers entertain an audience of family and friends sipping hot beverages and eating yummy treats. Perhaps you can be one of those performers – auditions will be held on Tuesday, October 25th. Please pick up the audition packet outside of room 201 if you are interested! Audition paperwork is due Friday, October 21st.
UPCOMING TIGER'S I ENCHRICHMENT ACTIVITIES
Strategic Games Tiger’s i Enrichment Group
UPCOMING DISTRICT AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--National Prescription Take Back Day--Saturday, October 29
Tamanend Pink Out 2022
Tamanend staff and students participated in a very successful Pink Out on October 13th! Thank you for wearing your best pink to support breast cancer awareness. The TMS staff members raised $730 that was donated to Kin, a free all-inclusive retreat center, offering integrative services, support, fitness and therapy to Bucks County, PA residents battling cancer. Kin was inspired by Corinne Transue Sikora, a member of our CB family. Our donation was made in honor of one of TMS colleagues. Thanks to everyone for a great day!
Student Council Hosts Spooky Bingo
On Wednesday, October 26th, the student council hosted a “Spooky Bingo” event as a part of their Spirit Week activities. Students who attended had a great time playing a fun game of bingo with their friends in the cafeteria. Several winning participants had the opportunity to take home a sweet prize as well. The student council officers hope everyone had a great time, and they are looking forward to hosting more entertaining events and fundraisers with their peers in the future.
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
Reminder--Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend?
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on volunteer in in a Central Bucks school during the 2022-2023 school year, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to be an approved volunteer in our school. Thank you!
Reminder--Need a New Backpack?
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Patti Hartz, Secretary email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti, Student Service Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
Tamanend Middle School empowers students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Students, staff, and families work collaboratively to model the acronym ROAR.
Respect yourself, others, and property.
Own your behaviors.
We believe that a caring, positive school culture and learning environment foster respectful, thoughtful, appropriate, and kind citizens.
In order to operationalize our mission, Tamanend utilizes a school-wide positive behavioral intervention and support plan (SWPBIS). This plan helps us establish a social culture in which students expect and support appropriate behavior from one another— creating school environments that are socially predictable, consistent, safe, and positive. This helps to reduce problem behaviors that lead to office discipline referrals and suspensions, and to change perceptions of school safety.
This Week's ROAR Focus Area: Cafeteria
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
FROM OUR TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Laptop Information for 2022-2023
We hope that you had a relaxing summer. Our team is gearing up for the 2022-23 school year which includes handing out student laptops.
The Technology and Innovation Department is excited to kick off our student device distribution. All Central Bucks’ students will either receive a device this year or continue to use the device that was issued last year. Below is a chart that lists the device that will be issued by grade level as well as the cost of the usage fee. On Thursday, August 25, we received a notification the 7th Grade laptops for CBSD middle school students are scheduled to arrive next week. We plan to distribute laptops to 7th Graders the first week of school.
Even if your child has his/her own device, we are asking that you participate in our program to allow for a consistent learning platform for our students. All students in a grade level will receive a device equipped with: internet filtering, software, tech support for break/fix, and access to instructional tools and resources used by our teachers. You can learn more on our FAQ page: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/38121
First Steps for Families:
The first step prior to distribution is to enroll online and pay a usage fee. The usage fee covers the at-home and in-school use of a device, a charger, and insurance for accidental breaks. We have different pricing structures for elementary students as they will pay $15 a year and secondary families will pay $60 in 7th grade and $60 in 10th grade. Each payment for secondary will be good for three years. We have prorated payments for all secondary students who are new to Central Bucks.
Who has to pay the fee?
All students in grades 3-6, 7, 10, 12+, and new families* must complete the steps below prior to receiving a device.
*New students to Central Bucks in secondary will pay a prorated fee. 8th and 11th grade students will pay $40. 9th and 12th grade students will pay $20. These students will complete the user agreement and bring a check made out to CBSD Schools to the device pick-up.
What steps does a family need to take prior to device handout?
- Beginning on August 16th, all families in grades 3-12 should visit: https://www.cbsd.org/1to1
- Parent/Guardian and Student will click on and read the 1:1 Handbook.
- Parent/Guardian signs the user agreement and pays* the user fee via MyPaymentsPlus (MPP). Upon submitting the fee and MPP agreement, you are confirming that you have reviewed the information with your child.
The Fee Table:
*Please note that the fee is reduced for families who are economically disadvantaged. You will see the balance as $0 when entering MPP. All families still need to complete steps 1-3 even if the balance is $0. Additionally, new procedures for Free and Reduced guidelines are being established and sent out next week.
**If you were not given a bag last year, the school can provide one for you. Students in grade 3 will receive a new bag this year.
If you are able to submit a Help Desk ticket for technical questions do so here.
Thank you for your support with the handout this year. We hope that you have an amazing year with your child. On behalf of the Technology and Innovation Department, good luck on the first day of school.
Reminder--Creating a Parent Canvas Account
FROM OUR STUDENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Student Services Information
- MBIT’s Open House will be held on Thursday, December 1st at 6:00. This is an excellent opportunity for students and parents to learn about and see all of the amazing programs that MBIT has to offer. Please visit their website (www.mbit.org) for specific details.
- In advance of MBIT’s Open House, all 9th grade students will attend an MIBT presentation during their Tiger’s I period on Monday, November 21st. Topics will include information about their various programs, details for their upcoming Open House, and the application process.
Changes to High School Counseling Assignments Beginning in 2023-2024
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Universal Free Breakfast Now Available at Tamanend
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Reminder--Consent to Use Free/Reduced Lunch Status (Information Sharing)
CBSD is currently accepting applications for Free & Reduced Lunch. Students who qualify for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program may also qualify for a variety of needs-based assistance based on their program eligibility. Federal law requires the family’s consent before Central Bucks School District can use or share eligibility status for purposes other than the provision of free or reduced lunch. This information will only be shared if you consent to help provide needs-based assistance to your student that may be beneficial to your family. Your decision to share or not share this information will not in any way affect your eligibility status for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program; it is completely optional.
If your student(s) qualifies for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program, you will receive a notification of a document that needs your attention in the Parent Portal. The Free/Reduced Lunch Information Sharing Consent Form requests permission to use the eligibility status to qualify for various needs-based assistance and programming. You may consent for all areas listed below, decline consent to all areas, or provide partial consent. See the link below for instructions to complete this consent form.
Best wishes for a wonderful start to the school year.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Middle School Physical Education Attire
Students are not required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus.
Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
Below is a map of how the student drop-off will work in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk in the front parking lot up to the Main Entrance, as indicated by the yellow highlighted area on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area.
When dropping off your child, please remember that you should MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO/OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. Please stay to the right of the parking lot, along the sidewalk, all the way up to the Stop Sign across from the Tennis Courts. Pull up as far as you can when the cars in front of you clear, and let your child out on the sidewalk. PLEASE STAY IN A SINGLE-FILE LINE WHILE IN THE PARKING LOT.
When picking up your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT. The line of traffic will extend back toward the baseball field (Kelly Rd.). Please stay in the line of traffic and continue moving up as the car(s) in front of you move up. If we follow this procedure, all cars we be gone by 2:40.
Morning Car Line
When the weather is poor (heavy rain, low temperatures, etc.), more and more parents/guardians choose to drive their children to school. A reminder that students are expected to be in their 1st Period classes by 7:30 AM. If a child is late to school because of CBSD transportation, their tardiness will be excused. If a student is late to school because of car trouble, over-sleeping, or they are in the car drop-off line, their tardiness is unexcused. Typically, there are few cars in the drop off line from when the doors open at 7:10 until about 7:20. After 7:20, the line begins to get very long.
If you drive your child to school and the weather is poor, please consider leaving home earlier so that your child arrives to class on time.
Thanks for your assistance!
Regular School Hours
7:10: Students may be dropped off at Tamanend.
7:10--7:20*: 7th Graders wait in the Auditorium; 8th Graders wait in the Cafeteria; 9th Graders wait in Main Gym
7:20: Classrooms open to students
7:27: Reminder bell rings
7:30: First period classes begin
*Breakfast is available to students in all grades beginning at 7:10 in the Cafeteria.
Middle School Bell Schedule
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
Tamanend is committed to ensuring that every child has a positive experience at our school. We work hard to ensure that we have financial supports in place for families in need. Please be aware that we can help with the following resources:
- Food--pantry with healthy snacks and personal care items available all day outside of Guidance; meals to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office); weekend food packages to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office)
- Internet access
- Field trips, school supplies, fees
- Holiday gifts
If your family experiences a financial hardship, please feel free to email one of the staff members below so that we may help:
Brian Caughie (Principal) email@example.com
Kyle Dudley (Assistant Principal) firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus (Certified School Nurse) email@example.com
Jeff Klein (Guidance Counselor and Athletic Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann (Guidance Counselor) email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti (Guidance Secretary) firstname.lastname@example.org
The CB Farmers Market at Barclay is Every Second and Fourth Thursday of the Month
Reminder--Free ESL (English as a Second Language) Classes
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (Posted each school day morning on our website and in Canvas. Look for the “Tamanend Announcements” course. Students will self-enroll in this course during the first week of school.
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Nov. 17th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.