Update from Kuna Superintendent Wendy Johnson
In this update:
- Strategic plan will help us stay focused on youth mental health
- Our Friends of Education
- Educator & Classified Staff of the Year
- Incoming 6th Graders Open House
- 📅 Looking ahead
Strategic plan will help us stay focused on youth mental health
The Superintendent's Advisory Council and our social work and counseling team did a great job putting on Thursday's information night for parents on the topic of youth mental health. I was grateful for the many community groups that offered resources for parents to support their children.
Some of my takeaways from keynote speakers Katey McPherson and Ben Bost were:
- Data shows that 70 percent of our youth are anxious or depressed. We need to consider this in our work.
- Our youth need more sleep and less time online.
- Parents and children need to discuss device use and establish limits and consequences together.
- Equipping youth (and adults) with a toolbox of strategies can help prevent suicide. This includes the ability to identify emotions and regulate them in positive ways through exercise, connections, & other supports.
We asked participants to rate the event -- 4 & 5 stars -- and to make recommendations on future topics - they'd like more of the same and to go deeper. (Did you attend but missed the survey? Take it here).
Expect more opportunities and more discussion in the coming year as we strive to support families and students in this area.
On Tuesday, the Board of Trustees approved our Strategic Plan, and one of the major pillars of the plan focuses on safety.
Our Friends of Education
We get by with a little help from our friends
- Crimson Point: April Waters
- Hubbard: Melissa Watson
- Indian Creek: Susan McNall & Cassandra Hammel
- Reed: Debbie Griffith
- Ross: Det. Terisa Howell
- Silver Trail: Kate Avery
- Fremont: Shalee Murray
- Kuna Middle: Kerri Noteboom
- Initial Point High School: Daniel Young and John Zink from the Bureau of Land Management
- Kuna High School: Kristi Hardy
- Swan Falls High School: Alex Beal
- District: Brian Taylor
Our Educator & Classified Staff of the Year
📅 Looking ahead
🗳️ May 17 - Election Day!
May 17 - Kuna Middle School band concert, 7 p.m.
May 23 - 5 to 6 p.m. Incoming 6th grade Open House Fremont & Kuna Middle School
May 25 - KHS Graduates Elementary School Walk - morning
🎓 May 25 Initial Point High School Graduation 6 p.m. Kuna Performing Arts Center
🎓 May 26 Kuna High School Graduation 2:30 p.m., Ford Idaho Center, 2-hour early release K-12
May 30 - No school Memorial Day holiday
👀 June 2 - Last day of school, 2 hour early release K-12
June 14 - Kuna Board of Trustees meeting & Budget hearing for amended 2021-22 Budget and 2022-23 Budget
July 12 - Kuna Board of Trustees meeting
Aug. 9 - Kuna Board of Trustees meeting
Aug. 9 - School offices reopen to the public
👀 Aug. 25 - Students first day of school for 2022-23