Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Crain's Class: February 16-19, 2016
Important Information and Updates
- Class pictures are this Thursday! An envelope was sent home last week with payment options.
- Please send StoryWorks money now. The cost is $8.00.
- Field trip money is due March 10.
- Our class Jump Rope for Heart day is February 22. An information packet was sent home with all students on January 20.
Mega Miles Club
Turn in date is every Friday!
Dates to Remember
- Wednesday, February 17: Early Release
- Thursday, February 18: Group Pictures
- Monday, February 22: Jump Rope for Heart
- Tuesday, February 23: 3rd quarter interims go home
- Monday, February 29: Regular School Day (previously a teacher workday)
Language Arts News
We will have a vocabulary test Feb. 16; it was scheduled for Friday but we had some disruptions that prevented it from going as planned. Wednesday we will take a comprehension assessment on Sitting Down for Dr. King. Then we will begin our new selection from StoryWorks, The Cow's Horn. We will review plot and theme as we read this selection about a boy who learns what it really means to "be yourself."
Parents can also download the free BouncePages app from Pearson. By simply snapping a picture of a pre-tagged textbook page on a mobile device, students discover interactive content illustrating the concept being taught. Engaging and educational, the interactive content includes friendly characters, entertaining scenarios, and effective explanations of the material. These features personalize student learning and provide interactive tools that allow students to practice what they are learning. The app is available for iOS and Android platforms.
Preparing for the Math EOG
Students hear from me every day regarding our "time crunch". We have a lot of math standards still to cover, and we need to review those previously learned. It will be very difficult for students to make growth in math unless they review previously learned skills at home. Throughout this year, I have pressed students to use MobyMax and Sumdog to practice basic computations. As our MobyMax subscription expired, there is no way for me to adjust the level of MobyMax to ensure our students are working on fourth grade skills.
The website www.ixl.com allows students to access problems associated with fourth grade math standards. As this is a paid site, I have registered for a free 30 day trial. However, anyone can complete up to ten problems each day for FREE without registering. I strongly encourage you to have your scholar complete ten fourth-grade problems each night as part of your homework routine. I can provide review worksheets, but worksheets do not offer the instant feedback that is essential during review.
Secret Phrase: The secret phrase must be written down BY AN ADULT - in your child's agenda or on a separate note. You may also email or send the secret phrase to me via dojo messenger. NO SECRET PHRASES WRITTEN BY STUDENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
"Practice math each night on www.ixl.com"!
Social Studies News
Why is reading so so important?
- 10 Things Parents Should Know About Reading: http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/10-reading-facts-brochure.pdf
- How to Discuss Books with Older Kids: http://playfullearning.net/2014/10/discussing-literature-older-children/
- Questions for Nonfiction: http://www.stab.org/uploaded/page_documents/summer_reading/questions_to_support_nonfiction.pdf