April 15, 2020
4-15-2020 Teleschool Updates
We miss our students! Please allow your student to see the following video that we created for them. :-)
Reminders about Expectations
- Videos, lesson resources, and live sessions are intentionally selected and planned. Please make sure your student views these resources each day.
- Time limitations- While many additional activities are offered and available, we only expect students to participate in learning for the set times limits. You may prefer or need your student to do more, and that is okay as well. There are many optional choice boards and activities throughout the week for that purpose. See below:
- PK-2nd Grade: 30 min reading/ELA, 30 min math
- 3rd-5th Grade: 35 min reading/ELA, 35 min math, 20 min specials (5th grade will also have social studies/science on select days)
- Social Emotional Lessons are also included each week (optional)
Meal Distribution- Wednesdays only
Beginning this week, families can pick up breakfast and lunches on Wednesdays from Esther Jackson Elementary, Holcomb Bridge Middle, or Haynes Bridge Middle School according to location or preference. Time: 11-1pm.
New Schedule Coming
Since Teleschool will be in effect until the end of the school year, and in effort to provide some consistency across the school with daily schedules, we will start a new schedule next week. This schedule will offer daily class meetings for students to connect with teachers and their class live, a weekly live lesson/session per content, set "office hours" for support, and a break for students and teachers.
- Specific class times will be communicated by teachers. Most times will remain the same as the last few weeks, with the addition of "office hours" and morning class meeting. Please see the lesson plans posted on Friday for those times. The following times will now be consistent with all teachers: 8:30 Class Meeting and 11:30-1 Break
- Please see the SAMPLE SCHEDULE below that we created to help structure your day. Adjust as needed to match your child's specific schedule.
- Morning class meetings are optional, but recommended. If you have multiple students or cannot attend each day, that is okay. Please try to have students attend as much as possible or on the days that you designate to fit your needs.
4-3-2020 Teleschool Updates
Dear Hillside Community,
Thank you for another great week of Teleschool. Certainly, challenges remain each week, but we continue to fine-tune this process day by day. Your support is much appreciated, and I'm reassured each day that we will get through this together! We all miss our students so much, and we're very sad that we won't be able to physically meet again this school year. Please consider allowing your student the opportunity to join in the live sessions with teachers that are offered.
Schools Closed for Spring Break (4/6-4/10)
**Please remember that next week (April 6-10), students and staff are on Spring Break. The lessons that are provided below are for the week of April 13-17. Staff will be unavailable during Spring Break. Please stay safe, and we look forward to "seeing" you on April 13th!
Note from Ms. Woods, Assistant Principal
Rising 6th Graders: View Course Requests
Parents/Guardians of our current 5th grade students, you are now able to see your child’s course requests for next year, 6th grade, in Infinite Campus. Please see the below documents on how to access and interpret the courses selected for your child.
Note from Ms. Dewey, Counselor
Come explore with me and hear about one of my most favorite words in this real life scenario! Check out my video:
With spring break next week, it is fair to say a lot of you are not spending the break the way you had planned. It is certainly an adjustment so let’s find ways to make it fun. Feel free to reference this document of Non Screen Activities to do at Home !
Kindness Challenge Ask your mom, dad, or guardian about a chore he or she does not like to do around the house (mine is to fold laundry), then go do that chore! Send me a picture or note of what you did to show kindness.
Rising 6th grade Haynes Bridge students! Our transition activities are a bit different this year due to being out of the building. If you are looking for information regarding 6th grade at Haynes Bridge, the staff has uploaded packets to the school website. Please feel free to click on the link to find more information: www.haynesbridge.com
During April 13-17, we will have spirit week at Hillside. Please join us for a little Teleschool fun! Show us your spirit by participating in a theme each day and posting to social media or emailing your teacher. See the Spirit Week Flyer below.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns. 678-327-5847 or email@example.com
Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration
- Click HERE for Pre-K Registration information
- Click HERE for Kindergarten Registration Information (and all other new students)
Please email Mrs. Teffeteller (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about the process.
From Ms. Simon, Media Specialist - Spring Break Activities
Spring Break is still being observed. April 6-10, students and staff will be on Spring Break. Assignments will not be provided or expected from FCS. Please click HERE for some activities your student can do over the break.
If you have submitted a request to checkout a laptop for a 3rd-5th grade student, that request has been submitted and processed. You will receive an email by Monday, 4/13 for pickup at Hillside on Tuesday, 4/14. If there are others who still have a need, we will submit your name for the next round. Email Dr. Dumas (email@example.com)
Extended School Closure
The Governor announced this week that all Georgia public schools will be closed (physically) for the remainder of this year.
- Students will still participate in Teleschool.
- We will be considering ideas for how to celebrate our 5th graders for their transition over the next few weeks.
- Money collected for field trips will also be refunded; we will communicate that process soon as well.
The Hillside teacher created lesson plans are listed below for our on- level students. For all past resources and information, please see the previous week's Pawprints, linked at the bottom.
Meals for Students/Work Packets (postponed until 4/13- not available during Spring Break
After spring break, families can pick up breakfast and lunches from Esther Jackson Elementary, Holcomb Bridge Middle, or Haynes Bridge Middle School M, W, F, (11am-1pm) according to location or preference. FCS- created work packets will also be available for families that prefer paper copies during the same times.
Student Device Needs
Parents/Guardians, if you are in need of a laptop to checkout for your 3rd-5th grade student, please email Dr. Dumas firstname.lastname@example.org or respond to this message. Please include your student's name, teacher, and grade level.
Teleschool Feedback Request
We aim to do our part to make Teleschool as smooth and helpful as it can be as we continue to learn together. Please take a moment to provide some feedback so that we can celebrate what's going well and improve where needed. Thank you!
Dr. Dumas Reads
Join me on YouTube as I read children's books for our students! Click HERE for the channel. :-)
Lesson Plans for April 13-17 (not for Spring Break)
**Speech and Language activities will be emailed directly by the Speech teachers.
If you need any technical assistance, such as with Classlink, iReady, log-in information and more, please call the call center below. For content assistance, please email the teacher directly.
TeleSchool Call Center for Parents/Students
Open from 8 am -4 pm