Family Business Association (FBA)
Newsletter March 2017
In this issue:
- Camosun College Educational Partnership
- Spring Programs
- Spring Sponsorship Campaign
- About Family Business Association Vancouver Island
- Nanaimo Family Business Stories Photo Gallery
- Family Business Excellence (FBE) Awards Photo Gallery & Video
- Meet our New Member
- Member News
- Our Ultramarathoners
- Join a Family Business Advisory (FBA) Team
- Business Diagnostics Assessment Tool
- Our Mission & Vision
- Become a Member
- Join us on LinkedIn
Camosun College Educational Partnership
The FBA Board of Directors is pleased to announce a new partnership with
Camosun College to expand our educational programming and resources. Watch for updates as we work to add value to our dynamic program.
Spring Programs Coming Up!
April 3rd, 3:30-5:30 pm - Unlocking your Business Value
no cost, hosted by CIBC
April 27th, 8-10 am - Decision-Making
no cost, hosted by Boldly Reach your Goals
May 11th, 4-6 pm Business-Family Governance
offered by Business Harmonizer
$25 - member price
June 8th, 5-7pm Year-end Social
Registration open for all events.
Spring Sponsorship Campaign
for the current season.
Join the team!
Your Leadership Team
- attracting, engaging and keeping members
- building strong Family Business Advisory (FBA) Teams
- increasing exposure with educational institutions and professional organizations
- engaging the nextgens
- creating fresh, shared experiences that build community
- offering relevant and targeted education based on member needs
- celebrating our members' accomplishments
- focusing on inspirational and dynamic speakers and panelists
- increasing internal and external exposure
- promoting niche awareness and community building
- creating exciting, vibrant and clear messaging that reflects our energy
Following our Strategic Planning, we created a Curriculum Database to have a list of resources to draw from when considering future programs. Members' input for programming ideas is always welcomed - we ARE here to fill you needs. Get in touch with your ideas: email@example.com
We also did some work on identifying a few patterns in our membership. Did you know that:
- we currently have 67 members (15 Advisor & 52 Family Members)
- 72% of members are represented on FBA Teams (28% Advisors & 84% Family)
- event attendees in the past year has passed the 400 mark
- we just formed a new FBA Team with seven now operating
- our membership includes 27 different industries
- we average an increase of 3 members a year
- we have members dating back to 1995
Nanaimo Family Business Stories
Thank you panelists & guests for a great event!
click photos to enlarge
Photo 2 L to R: Panelists: Andy Spurling (Proline Management) & Dann Dagg (Hot House Marketing)
Photo 3 L to R: Event Sponsors: Sean McCue (Black Press); Lise MacDonald (Business Examiner); Frank Allen (Frank Allen Financial); Jenn Bogwald (MNP LLP); Joe Christiano (Coastal Community)
Photo 2: L to R: Engaged crowd!
Photo 3 L to R: Kevin Gillanders (Royal Bank); John MacDonald (Business Examiner); Ron Sawyer (Royal Bank); Jenna Mayzes (United Floors)
Family Business Excellence (FBE) Awards
click photos to enlarge
Prince of Whales Whale Watching Award Finalist
L to R: Georgina & Elspeth McGillivray
Tru Value Foods Award Recipient
L to R: Angie Gray, Mike Gray, Jessica Walker Clarke, Brett Clarke, Kathy Clarke, Dean Clarke, Jerry Rainier, Karen Rainier, Phil Greenhalgh & Cristine Greenhalgh
Dodd's Furniture Award Finalist
L to R: Love, Novie, Ravinder & Gordy Dodd
Tru Value Foods Award Recipient
FBA New Member
Commercial Building Awards 2016
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Hotel/Tourist Accommodation Category
- Story Construction, Merit Award for Craig X Indoor Climbing Centre
2016 Ecostar Award
- Monk Office, Greenest Office
Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce Awards
- Dan Dagg of Hot House Marketing will be the first recipient of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce Member of the Year Award. Dan receives the recognition for his years of volunteer service on behalf of the chamber and his leadership and commitment to business excellence over the decades.
- The list of finalists also included FBA Members: Business Person Category, Mandy Farmer, Accent Inns and Hotel Zed; Business (11-39 employees), Proline Management.
Hotelier of the Year
- Mandy Farmer has been named Hotelier of the Year by Hotel Magazine.
Top 10 Law Boutiques in Canada
- Blair Dwyer of Dwyer Tax Law is pleased to have been included as one of the top ten tax law boutiques in Canada.
Join a Family Business (FBA) Team
The teams serve as your own mini board of directors, supporting you in your challenges and opportunities as a family business. Members leverage the perspectives of other family businesses, industries and generations.
We encourage all family business member to join an FBA Team. This is their unique opportunity to learn from each other, to work on their family business is a special way and to have the security of confidential discussions in a trusting and inviting environment. Many members of family businesses feel alone and these groups end the isolation because those in the group understand that operating a family business brings its unique challenges.
The experiences from those who have been there on topics like working with the family, managing the business and succession are among the areas discussed.
Call 250-532-2402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Business Diagnostics Assessment Tool
Family Business Association (FBA) Vancouver Island
To promote the sustainability and growth of Vancouver Island business families by providing education and support through
community and shared experience.
We are an engaged and supportive community of vibrant Vancouver Island business families and advisors who connect, share ideas and learn from each others’
Our organization has been providing a community of support to family businesses on Vancouver Island since 1999. We help families in business succeed through shared experience, education and resources. FBAVI is where Canadian business families go to connect, grow and learn for sustainable success across generations.