McKinney Boyd Band Newsletter
Summer Band Edition
Summer Band Edition: Week of 7/26-7/31
1. Check the student form completion status HERE, Not checked? It means we don't have it on file and you need to have it complete before Monday to join us. (Updated 9:00am 7/23) ALL FORM ISSUES & QUESTIONS GO TO firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is the corrected letter to enter Rank one info on the Fine Arts side: RANK ONE LETTER
Here is a direct link to the Handbook forms: bit.ly/mbhsbandforms21-22
2. Summer band Day 1 protocol, What you need, where to go, how to do it! Read below for an all inclusive pass to day 1
3. Miss uniform fittings this week? Always communicate with email@example.com and they will catch the last remaining individuals next week.
4. Fan pledge 2021 kick off starts Monday! Event happens in the Gym Saturday 7/31 10:15-11:30
5. Volunteer's needed and appreciated!! Fill out the application for approval HERE (Read below for more links and info)
6. Communications update! We will begin transitioning to the "BAND APP" and away from the "REMIND 101" System for the 2021 season, read below for info to join!
7.Music PDF's are on the website (boydband.com), go to Media/Music downloads, password is broncoband (shhh, it is a secret :)
Summer Band: What you need and how to prepare
Day 1 Protocol and Procedures
1. Students without completed forms (physical, Rank one, handbook) will be turned away so please triple check that you are cleared and send questions/concerns to Mr. Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Eat a LIGHT and quality breakfast. Avoid dairy and greasy foods. Today is not the first time to try a power protein milkshake for the first time.
2. Please follow the drop off/pick up information below to limit frustrations and be as efficient as possible.
2. Students will keep everything outside once you arrive, meet your section leaders on the field for directions on how to organize your materials on the side line and set up in attendance block
(Only percussion, guard, Tuba and Double reeds should come into the building)
3. After the morning session outside, you will go directly to your masterclass area with ALL your materials. During the master class time, the band directors will deliver to you a personal information sticker with Locker/Cubby/Lock combo info. At the end of the masterclasses, you will be able to enter the band hall and put away your personal belongings.
4. At the end of the day you may leave anything that you need the next day in your locker, but please take all clothes home.
5. Once again, please follow the pick up/drop off information below
WHAT YOU NEED:
- All forms and physicals turned in and completed!! This includes Rank one as well!
- Name or initials on all items so they don't get mixed up and can be returned to you if lost.
- An INSULATED water bottle (New bottles were paid for by your fees, will distribute once we get them), Camelbak systems also work well but do not count as a INSULATED water source
- Marching instrument w/ a towel to put on outside
- Flip folders and lyres with PLENTY of extra pages (25 pages suggested) and all your music (music available on boydband.com under media page)
- Breathing tube (Wind players only) also known as a 3/4" Compact Ball Valve
- Shorts and tennis shoes are an absolute must! (Read below for more specifics)
- Light colored shirts (must be within school dress code)
- Sunglasses and Hats
- Sunscreen 30 SPF or higher
- Snack or lunch if you do not plan to go off campus during our break.
- Your best attitude and smile
HOW TO PREP:
Summer Band is fun and not to worry about but here are some things that we have learned after years of experience that can help you succeed the first couple of days.
#1: GO OUTSIDE STARING NOW AND ACCLIMATE TO OUTDOOR ACTIVITY
Video games and TV binging can be fun in moderation, but it will be a big shock to your system if you are not used to going outside and you can become disoriented very easily without acclimating beforehand.
#2 HYDRATE THOROUGHLY WITH WATER STARTING AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE YOU WILL ATTEND CAMP
It takes time for your body to become fully hydrated. If the first day of camp is when you start you can become dehydrated within hours so substitute that soda/juice/dairy for some high quality H2O about a week in advance. Aim to drink half of your body weight in oz throughout the day (no more than 120 oz.)
#3 INVEST IN A HIGH QUALITY PERFORMANCE SHOE (SAUCONY, BROOKS, NEW BALANCE) AND AVOID BOOTS AND CONVERSE. ***NIKE/UNDER ARMOR CAN WORK, BUT OFFER LITTLE SUPPORT FOR MARCHING ACTIVITIES
Most of our injuries are due to improper footwear choices. The brightest and coolest shoes may be fashionable but your knees, back and neck will thank you for a shoe with proper support. There is a "Run On" shop at Eldorado and Lake Forest, They are pros at fitting proper shoes to individual foot styles.
#4 WEAR LIGHT (COLOR AND WEIGHT) CLOTHING
Students in pants and all black will be sent home immediately. It will be a cheaper and easier ride than the ambulance after a heat exhaustion attack. Don't Mess with Texas (heat/humidity)!!!
#5 AVOID DAIRY IN THE MORNING TO AVOID A "SIDELINE SHOWER" (SHAKES/PROTIEN INCLUDED)
No more explanation needed here :) Have a light breakfast healthy breakfast option that will be easy on your stomach (eggs, toast w/ peanut butter ect...)
Summer band Parking/Drop off
Just a friendly reminder –
No parking in the fire lane or in front of the Auditorium is allowed during any band pick-up, summer or school year. Please follow the line of cars around the perimeter of the marching field (in yellow)
Students are to be picked up in that line on the far left of the parking-lot (where all the construction is).
Please communicate to your student to look both ways before crossing the road. We want to ensure that all 200+ students and parents are safe during band pick-up.
Students will exit the band hall in the back loading dock area and not the auditorium doors. We created these procedures to ensure the safety of all students and individuals in the parking-lot.
Thank you for your support and cooperation!
Fan Pledge Fundraiser kick off and event
Our Fan Pledge fundraiser event is on Saturday 7/31.
This is a REQUIRED PARTICIPATION event for the students.
There is no fundraiser that we do that is as effective, simple or easy as this one. This fundraiser is a big part as to how we lowered our fee's by almost 50% this past year. Our success this year helps maintain (or potentially lower) fees for next year so it is very important that every student participate.
Saturday 7/31 Schedule will look like this:
7:00-10:00AM: Marching drill block rehearsal in south lot
10:00-10:15: Transition into the Main Gym
10:15-11:30: Fan Pledge Event
Students will receive instructions on how to set up accounts and prepare for the 45 minute "Blitz" on Monday during announcements.
Volunteers needed for your McKinney Boyd Bronco Band
We LOVE our volunteers and cannot have a successful marching band season without them!!
If you are interested in volunteering, please submit a MISD Volunteer Application asap.
MISD is accepting them for the 2021-2022 school year. A new application must be submitted every year.
Here is the link: https://www.mckinneyisd.net/human-resources/volunteer/
Most applications are approved quickly this time of year.
Once you receive an approval email from MISD, please forward it to email@example.com
New volunteer opportunities will be open on the Membership Toolkit website in the coming weeks.
Please remember we have NEW volunteer shirts this year. Short sleeved, long sleeved, dri-fit shirt options are available. If you are volunteering, you must be wearing one. To purchase one, please log into your Membership Toolkit account and go to the spirit wear store either on the red banner or under My Account/Forms.
Laura Wilson, VP-Volunteers
McKinney Boyd High School Band Boosters
Communications update: Join BAND APP
While remind is still going to be the primary means of communication for the summer. We are going to transition to the BAND APP.
It is more user friendly, free and can do more things for us moving forward. Here is the link to join our Marching band "class" (includes parents/students)
Hey Band, join our 'McKinney Boyd Bronco Band' group on BAND - The app for groups and communities!
**WE WILL CONTINUE TO USE BOTH APPS OVER THE SUMMER AS WE TRANSITION INTO USING ONLY THE BAND AP IN THE FALL TO LIMIT COMMUNICATION GAPS
Hawaii Trip Info/ Document corner....
WE ARE STILL CONTINUING TO REGISTER AND FILL UP SPOTS FOR PARTICIPATING STUDENTS UNTIL ALL SPOTS ARE FULL
We sincerely hope that you will join us for our Spring Trip to Hawaii next year May 25-29th!
ADULTS SHOULD NOT REGISTER FROM THIS POINT FORWARD
CHAPERONES HAVE BEEN SELECTED AND REACHED OUT TO WITH A FORMAL INVITATION!
Students will share quad rooms and the chaperones fee's are based on duo room.
View our Hawaii Info/Document folder:
PLEASE READ THE LETTER IN THE LINK FIRST
I HAVE ALSO ATTACHED THE ZOOM MEETING VIDEO IN CASE YOU MISSED IT BUT ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING!!
FOR WIND PLAYERS ONLY (WW/BRASS) :Create your Smart Music accounts in order to complete your summer pass offs
The information can be found on your students Canvas page under their audition classroom.
Go to modules and it will be on the top.
Follow the instructions and create your account. The assignments are loaded now!
Questions??: Reach out to your section leader! They can help guide you through the process if you need help!
You must pass off Part 1, 2 and 3 @ 90% to be eligible for a Primary marching spot. Must be complete by July 23rd.
Calendar for the Week
Week of 7/26-7/31
Monday (7/26): Outside Block 7-10:30am, Indoor Masterclasses 11-1, Lunch 1-3, Indoor Music block 3-5
Tuesday (7/27): Outside Block 7-10:30am, Indoor Masterclasses 11-1, Lunch 1-3, Indoor Music block 3-5
Wednesday (7/28): Outside Block 7-10:30am, Indoor Masterclasses 11-1, Lunch 1-3, Indoor Music block 3-5
Thursday (7/29): Outside Block 7-10:30am, Indoor Masterclasses 11-1, Lunch 1-3, Indoor Music block 3-5
Friday (7/30): Outside Block 7-10:30am, Indoor Masterclasses 11-1, Lunch 1-3, Indoor Music block 3-5
Saturday (7/31): Outdoor block rehearsal 7-10am, Fanpledge "Blitz" event 10:15-11:30